Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just found you guys, looking for some insight.

ThusSpokeLympyTThusSpokeLympy Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Around the beginning March of this year, I injured my back at the gym. Well, to be honest, I assume that's where I did. I was doing dumbbell bench presses when an employee announced over the loud speaker that the gym would be closing in a half hour. So I quickly grabbed the dumbbells I was using (~75lbs) off of the ground with TERRIBLE form. There wasn't any pain or anything, the only thing that tipped me off to the fact that I may have injured myself was that I KNEW I picked the weight up incorrectly. Anyway, I had some soreness in my lower back that went away after a couple of days. So, assuming I was fine, I got back into the gym and did some squats.

Fast forward to today, and since that day I have not been able to sit down for more than 15 minutes without feeling fatigue and what I can only describe as "clenching" in the muscles in the middle of my back. Usually this pain is located on either the left or right side of the spine dead center (vertically) of my back. Sometimes the pain seems to relocate in between my shoulder blades, but usually is located where I described above.

Another thing worth mentioning is that during the beginning I felt kind of like there was something blunt jabbing into my spine where the muscle pain is located today. This still happens sometimes, but isn't as pronounced anymore.

I've been to the doctor, who said I probably tore some muscle tissue and was experiencing muscle spasms. He prescribed me flexiril and ordered me to rest my back. After about a month and a half of not getting better, I went back and got some XRays (note: not an MRI) done, and the doctor said that there weren't any signs of anything serious, so an MRI wasn't warranted.

I've been back to see him a few times, and he more or less throws some ibuprofen at me and shews me out of his office. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere and I haven't gotten a decisive diagnosis. I'm only 22 years old, and before March of this year I had never had any sort of back issue my entire life. Am I describing anything common? I'm sorry if I rambling, it's 3am and I can't sleep because my back is bothering the crap out of me.

• I forgot to mention that sometimes the pain feels like a burning sensation.
  • Welcome to spine health. While muscle can take months to heal it sounds like you need to get checked out by a different doc. You don't mention who you saw but I am assuming it was your GP.

I would suggest a neurologist. Not a surgeon!! The neurologist can do a full eval of your pain and relexes. He would probably order an MRI and CT. MRI shows tissue while CT shows bone best.

Hope this helps.