Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aqua therapy

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
My girlfriend offered me the use of here pool for aqua therapy but I dont know what to do beside the breast stroke which tires me out. Can anyone give me ideas of what to do in the pool that might help me with the pain and spasms in my lower back?

• I will give you some ideas, I have to run to a doctors appt, but I will be back later today and I'll give some ideas.:)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    First, I am not aware if you have had any spinal surgeries. If you had, you need to check with your doctor regarding what type of exercises you can do in a therapeutic pool. (or other types of pools)

As a spinal patient, having formal Aqua Therapy by a therapist and been in an Independent program for over 3 years now, here is my routine:

(Pool is 4 feet deep, 92 degrees(

- Walking up and back the distance of the pool for about 15 minutes
    - Stretching using the hand rules, to stretch your hamstring, calves. (10 minutes)
    - Using donuts on your feet, moving them side to side, up and down (10 minutes)
    - Use a Pool Pony (basically a float between your legs so that you can simulate bike riding (15 minutes)

Thats about it, there are some other exercises, but these seem to be the basics. There is no swimming involved in this type of pool
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Howdy Newhouse,

I do similar exercises as Ron describes and then a few others. See my sig., or click my avatar name for my medical... The walking is a lot of work, but the spine is unloaded, so it is a great workout! In addition to some of Ron's, I have an "Aqua Duck" that lets me do what Ron does with his pool pony. I also use my duck to lay my hands on so I can do kicking (swimming style) exercises front and side. My hubby bought me the foamy dumbbells. What I use them for is strength building through resistance, flexibility and muscle warming in my arms and upper chest and abs.

My pool is also 4', and so I can also do leg raises front, side and rear, plus gentle squats. Oh, and my Duck? Sometimes I put the back of my head on the paddle and just float on my back for a full spiney relief break!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks guys,

This sounds right up my alley. Doc said use pool but gave no instructions except for he didnt want me doing laps for the twisting is not good on my back. As for surgery, I had ALIF and ADR in May 2009. Where can I get the duck and dumbells??
  • Howdy Newhouse,

Just do a Google for "Aqua Duck" and the site will come right up. It is a small company. I got mine off of eBay personally - cost was about the same if I remember right.

As to the dumbbells, my hubby got them in the Sports Authority. I am guessing you can also find them in WalMart or similar stores? Stores geared towards pools should also have them. :)

• We just set up a 24ft x 52" above ground pool...I can't wait to start some water therapy.I have a recumbant bike,and although it feels good for my legs,it is too painful for my back and hips. So the pool is going to be a good thing for me.(not to mention my daughter and all the kids in the neighborhood).I love summer....have fun everybody!
  • Taunya,

That's the size pool we put in 15' x 24' = 52" deep. It is the perfect size! Being oval, I can do nice long 'walks' around it, and plenty of room if the hubby is into "pool" stuff (play) and me doing my aqua work outs! Years ago I toyed with putting in an "Endless Pool", but the turnoffs then were "We install it, it is small, cost the same as a pool." I have found that the jet off of the pool pump gives me just the right resistance as would the pump of an Endless pool! Because of my neck, I can't swim in the traditional sense, so I stay in the stream of that jet and doggy paddle, breast stroke, leg paddles - unplanned benny there!!!

I just can't believe it took me this long to put that sucker in! Love it!! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours. I live in South Florida, so there are very few days (temperature wise) that we won't be able to use it. Thunderstorms...now that's another story! (G)

• Newhouse,

Happy Monday to ya!! I was just wondering if you were able to try any of the aqua exercises a bunch of us recommended? Are you at least able to 'de-load' your pain in the pool at all? Just thinking of you today. Support *HUGZ*

• I injured myself at aqua therapy with my PT. I took off my back belt float and did straight leg kicks and straight back leg kicks and injured myself. Gentle exercises like the others and Ron suggested are better. Good luck and hope it makes you stronger! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks everyone for the info. I did buy the aqua duck and am waiting for it to arrive. For now I am using a noodle and a kick board. I dont know why but my kids are getting a lot of laughs watching me!! We even play a game of who can sit on their kickboard the longest without falling over. Its nice to see them with smiles on their faces and laugh when it comes to me. I have to say the first couple of times it really hurt after but its getting better. I think its because I havent used those muscles in a long time. Thanks for all the great ideas guys, Its really helping.

Yesterday after doing some simple water exercises I decided to doggy paddle to the other end of the pool. I was in the deep end over my head, and notice I was having a hard time staying above the water.It was like my legs wern't kick hard or fast enough to keep me afloat. It scared the hell out of me and my 15yr. daughter!!!! She had to jump in and help me get to the side.I made her promise not to tell her father and she made me promise that I would never do that again without a floaty. she alsoasked that I never go in the pool alone which I never do. Have any of you experienced the same thing? Its strange, my mind is telling my legs to kick faster but my legs dont seem to be getting the message(lol), thats nerve damage for ya!!!Some days my legs have a mind of their own!!! thanks again.

• Glad to see you have one coming! I love mine, and when I am using my foamy dumbbells, the hubby snatches the duck! (G) As for Doggy paddle problems since I have issues throughout my spine as a game and to try and strengthen my arms, taught myself to swim with my upper body and arms only. One thing you can try - in the shallow side first of course, is if you find yourself getting tired, try rolling over on your back just to get a flotation change to get to the edge of the pool. Or as promised, no swimming solo!

I hope you love your Duck!!! Please keep us posted. It does sound like 'you and your pool' are finding a happy medium!! :)

This discussion has been closed.