Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Black and Blue Marks...

jsirabellajjsirabella Posts: 311
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
Yesterday I decided to go to the Central Park and do some video shooting. Just to have fun and practice a bit. Anyway it was probably the most walking I had done in months. I knew that yesterday I probably burned a couple "spoons" too many. I was happy though that I made it through the experience not in terrible shape yesterday.

Anyway I wake up today thinking I probably will be sore. Well not as bad as I thought but definitely not great.

The thing though that really surprised me was a black and blue mark on the side of my foot.

I used to walk for hours and never had that before. Can our issues make us more prone to get black and blues more easily?

Maybe I hit my foot and did not even know as so into the shooting? I found yesterday the more my mind was occupied the easier to deal with the daily grind.

Thanks for reading...

• I don't know if it can be related but a few weeks back I broke my small toe. I do this at least once a year and it heals on it's own. This time I noticed that it kept getting black and blue. I even went to the podiatrist which is a waste to get xrays. Just a simple break but it took much longer to heal.

My thought is that because our bodies are dealing with so much pain and healing that all other injuries are magnified and healing is delayed. Just my thought.
  • I found being on anti-inflammatories may bring easier bruising though not sure if that's what it is. I've often looked at my legs and wonder where the heck did I get that bruise? I don't even do anything but walk hardly. Maybe ice afterward to take the swelling down. Is the bruised area hot to touch or sore? I hope you have good shoes with a good traction. I recently got shape-ups sketchers and love the padding under my feet. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    especially something like blood thinners.
    But I would also think you would remember something, even minor that caused some discomfort that resulted in black and blue marks.

Black and blue marks generally come as the result of some type of impact/blow/trauma to a given area. Even some strong massages can leave black and blues.

I think it would be important to think back to see where and how that may have happened. If you can not think of anything, keep this in mind to see if anything like this happens again. Then, it may be time to talk to your doctor. (Of course, there is no reason you could do that right away)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The black and blue is sore to touch and I will keep an eye out for a second one. I do not remember it but maybe it did happen and I just forgot and now it turned black and blue.

I am not taking any blood thinners or anti-infl's as last I decided to try as my doctor is a side way suggested. He said that he knows in my case they really do not do much. So I figured ok lets stop and see..he was pretty much right.

And when I really feel I must they seem to work a bit better like last week. Going on about a week of no meds but it is really not cause I am better but just trying the will power game.

Also after reading about how anti-infl's slow down blood flow to affected area thought I should give it a shot.

• I'm wondering if because of your pain, possible muscle spasms and possible weakness if it caused your walking gait to be different than your typical gait pattern.

For instance, your ankle could have rotated in or out causing repeated stress to that area.

Since my fusion, one side of my pelvis will get stuck in anterior or posterior tilt. It causes my entire skeletal frame to be out of aleignment. It causes a lot of ankle pain.

This past Friday my PT session was incredibly difficult. My muscles were so fatigued that I had a hard time walking and clearing my right foot. I ended up stubbing the middle toe and breaking it...:(

Right before my 2nd surgery I had foot drop and ended up breaking my foot.

Becareful, we want you to stay in one piece! Wishing you the best!

• Thanks for the kind words and maybe you are correct. I like most of us do not think about how we walk.

I know it is hard but I am really pulling for you. I look for your posts and hope all works out for your job.

Give your body time and I am sure all else will come back. You have been through alot as I read more of your posts.

• Oh js, thank you for your post and your kind words, they really touched my heart!

This has been an unbelievably hard journey and challenged me in ways I have never dreamed of...

I hope that I will endure it gracefully....

Are you receiving PT? If not, it might be a great idea, especially to help with spasms ~ which are the body's way of trying to correct a problem, as well as muscle imbalance, guarding, weakness, etc...

I always worry about the dysfunction all those issues can put on a spine that is already under stress.

Thank you again for your kind words! They were heart felt! :) Wishing you the very best!!
This discussion has been closed.