Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI reads severed tendon all from surgical hospital I'm venting

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
went in for rhizotomy 3levels both sides had bad reaction from the meds like i posted before and woke up with bad shoulder pain. today went for MRI and was called a couple of hours ago and was told i need to see this ortho Dr. wed due to a severed tendon in my shoulder. WHAT are you kidding me. Have i not been threw enough??????? i was fine when going in for surgery got on the operation table myself extended my arms normal what happend?? when they moved me did they pull my arms so much they severed my tendon in my shoulder. THat is the only thing i can think of. I am so depressed over all this. You all know the back pain the neck pain is a BIG pain. I need a 3level cervical fusion need the same for my lumber but did this last hope rhizotomy which is not a fix fix it depends first if it got me out of pain and than how fast my nerves grow back. Oh my im just thinking about shoulder surgery and how i almost died with all the meds they gave me for this rhizotomy and i even told the Dr's what i can and cant have and nobody listened maybe because i was asking for dialuid they thought i was a druggie. no Im not just in pain and lots of it. Thanks for letting me vent

• Sorry to hear about the problems that you are having ellin. I know that my back issues began after surgery to have a hysterectomy. One of the nurses that I talked to said that the weight of moving patients under sedation can sometimes have an adverse effect. All I know is that I went in for one thing and came out with a lifetime of back issues, and when I complained about my back hurting while still in the hospital no one would check it because they all thought that I was just having surgical pain issues.

I hope that the doctor can do something for you. Good luck at your appointment.
  • It's my understanding that sometimes patients under sedation "fall off" the table or between them when being transfered but are not told they fell or were dropped.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Sorry to hear about your shoulder. When lifting they shouldn't be pulling on your arm that's an incorrect way to lift someone. Put ice 20 minutes on about 4x day. Take care and keep us posted how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Things do happen during surgery and you may never know.

I found out on my own that my IV pulled out when they rolled me only because my hand was black and blue and the IV moved.

I found out later that when they took me out of the halo brace one of the pin spots wouldnt scab over. Doc had to put in a staple. No one told me so when I brushed my hair I almost pulled it out.

I am sure there is much more that happens when you are out that no one tells you and never makes it into a report. My guess Ellin is that while you were having that horrible reaction to the meds you were flailing and they had to restrain you. No one does this intentionally. But things do happen.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You'd have to get evaluated to see if this is a new or old tendon injury. You did mention you had a seizure reaction to medications, it's possible that if this injury to the tendon is new you may have had the shoulder in an odd position during the seizure type reaction. But people can have tendon injuries for a long time and now know (but have pain and dysfunction) so now the next step is figuring out if the tendon injury is new or old and if the tendon is fully damaged or just partially.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I've been reading some of the comments about what can happen while in the operating room and while under sedation. I'm having a fusion on my lumbar, June 29th, and I go for pre-op on Tuesday. Should I mention to them that I also have bad discs in my neck and they need to be careful how they handle me, and also I have problems with arthritis in my shoulder? I'm having the surgery at a Surgical hospital and they have a good record with handling patients. Who should I mention these things to?
  • Mindy, you can tell both your surgical nurse and your anesthetist. Those two will take the lead in getting you positioned correctly.

I have a stiff neck from my past surgery, and I've never had a problem with any surgery since. :)

• Thanks all for your thoughts and prays. My shoulder never had a problem before and like i said I got myself onto the operation table and extended my arm to put on them boards. My folks were their 100% of the time when I came out onto the med surgery floor. And when they said the nurse was putting all this meds in my IV than i started convulsing. They were holding my head and put pillows on both sides of the rails due to me convulsing. I really think that somehow they moved me wrong from the operation table to the med surge bed and than the med surge bed to the Icu bed. But, who knows. All I do know is I never had a shoulder problem at all!!!! Went to Dr. and I do need surgery to attach the tendon back. I do tho have another appt. next week with another ortho Dr. who I was to go to first but, changed my mind. should of listend to my gut and went to the org. Dr. because this one i went to I did not care for nor his staff. I will let you all know what happens on my next appt. But, i know i need surgery and will have it with this Dr. i am going to next wk cant get into him now because he is out of town. I will get my records from the surgey center to see what they gave me. Im so darn mad at my Dr. because he knew of all my problems and i told him what works and he told me not to worry and than if he would have given me that this would not have happend, he did not even order that drug I told him to give me and he told me clear as day dont worry i will give you what you told me works. Well, guess that did not happen.,

• I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this! @)
    It is just horrible for you, and must be very hard to come to terms with. I can totally understand how angry you must be.

What needs to happen now, is to get the problem sorted.
    I'll be thinking of you and hope that this time, it will all go smoothly :-)

Do vent away here. We are here for you :D >:D<
  • You Guys are Great thx So much Jellyhall It is tuff I just think of if this back did surgery did not help and this happend i would be double mad so, yes its very hard to swallow i think if only i did not have this done i would never be with this shoulder tendon problem. Hard to deal with and yes lots of tears have flowed and im sure more to come. Thx again so much
  • What drug caused the seizure? Many times when people have seizures, they are at risk of injury to themselves. They might have been trying to keep you from falling, or turning you on your side. This is done as a precaution, so that if you begin vomiting you will not aspirate stomach contents in your lungs. So, maybe in their attempt to save your life, your arm may have been in just the right position for the tendon to tear. Of course, it could have been something entirely different. Just wanted to provide you with some info of what I've seen in the past.

Take care,

• I did not have a seizure!! I was convusling as they said. I came out of surgery fine went to med surg area and was in pain. The Dr. who did my surgery never orderd the medicine I told him works for me well. THey used meds (I do not know what all they gave me until I get the records) and after the nurse injected the meds in my iv than I started convulsing. They did tho say it was not a seizure.My take is the combo of meds the nurse gave me did not agree with me. It had to be or the meds that were given to me by the sleep Doc and than the meds nurse gave me did not agree. All I know is I am sick over all this. This whold weekend has been lots of pain I have to only use button up tops because I cant get my arm in pull overs way to painful. THis STINKS!!! I wish I was going to work tomorrow. And this pain is so great worse than my back pain, ontop of all that my neck which already needs to get the 3level fusion done is just killing me most likly due to the stress of the shoulder tendon. I am using ice and heat the heat feels good that is what i am using right now. You guys Are awsome for helping with all this. I pray all of you have a great evening.
  • Convulsions are seizures. The words are used interchangably.