Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has weight loss helped anyone??

NinababyNNinababy Posts: 6
I have had three lower back surgeries and now they only offer me fusion
I decided to get lap band surgery to drop 50 pounds to see if this helps
I am in constant pain from hip to ankle from a ruptured L 4/5 disk and scar tissue.
Has weight loss helped anyone??

• Have you asked your NS any weight loss should help, perhaps it is not that the weight loss itself will repair your condition but would help overall in the future. Any desire to reduce weight while in pain has to be applauded and many are trying and successful in the diet thread.

Take care and good luck.

• Not sure if there is any proof that losing weight will reduce back pain caused by mechanical problems. But it sure will make your life easier. The rest of your organs won't be working so much harder and it must help you spine to have less pressure.

I am hoping to lose some weight since another surgery seems inevitable.
  • The surgeon who is no longer part of my life told me that weight loss is my only hope, and as time goes on I think he may be right. I hope your weight loss is completely successful. If lap band were an option for me I would have already had it done, but I am not able to have a lap band because of prior surgery. I am delighted to hear that you are dieting and hope that your sucess will be an inspiration to a lot of us in the same situation

Good luck on your journey
    Jane in Tennessee

• I only lost a few pound an moved a few more from my gut to my arms and chest lol. After surgery i was 225 lost 10 lbs and i felt a big difference. in pain and over all health.
  • hi!! :H all the best on a successful surgery! weight loss is important to our pain issues. i have weighed over 200 pounds at one time and now weigh 120 and notice a big difference!! not only is my overall health better but there is less stress on my spine, back and legs!! i can walk now, exercise is much easier and my pain level went down a notch! good luck to you and hang in there!! Jenny :)
  • Thanks so much. I am down 20 pounds and my pain is less during the day. Evening I am still having issues. I will keep going. Thanks for your input!! Helps so much.
  • When you start to take steps in your life to make yourself healthier even if they may not help with your back issues, there is a sense of accomplishment. You feel you are taking control of the situation as opposed to the situation taking control of you. I am sure people will comment about how much weight you lost and this will naturally make you feel better about yourself and your life.

Never forget that...

• Good for you Nina! I lost 45 since last year and still have more to go. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN