Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now we know and now I'm scared!

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
but I also know that it has to be done. He cannot stand for long, cannot walk for any distance and is in pain all the time. They are doing a laminectomy/decompression/fusion on hubby's 4th and 5th vertebrae. He was poked and prodded and tested for anything that might cause problems and, for a 65 year old guy, he is in excellent shape heart,lung and weight wise. We met the surgical nurse, the admitting nurse, the pharmacist, x-ray technicians, the chap that doles out anesthesia, and several students (teaching hospital) and no other problems were found so next Thursday is the day.

• I know surgery is a scary thought but sometimes it is what needs to be done. I pray your husband will have a speedy recovery and get the relief he needs.
  • Understandable that you are worried about spine surgery. I wish him the very best. It is a long and arduous recovery, but you will get through it. Have you checked out the information in the FAQ section on things to have ready postop?

• That he will find relief after surgery. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• I had the same surgery 12 weeks ago and am feeling much better now :-)

I hope that this surgery will sort out the problems with his back and that his recovery will be straight forward. Be prepared for a long recovery, but hopefully it will really be worth it, and in a year you will both be so glad that you went ahead with it. :D

It is great that you are so supportive and learning all about fusion surgery too. Your knowledge and support will help along the way.
  • Because, if he does not stop doing stuff, I just may put him out of his misery before the operation. He has it in his mind that we have to be ready! And he has always been the grass cutter, hedge trimmer etc.

But thanks everyone for the support. I think we are going to be here often for quite a long while.
  • I too, had this surgery 14 weeks ago! Although this was my 3rd lumbar surgery in 4 1/2 years, I was terrified! The anticipation is so much worse!

Once you are on the other side, it is so worth the wait!

I, also, have been the spouce of someone having a spinal fusion. I so wish I would have known of this site then!

It would be great if you could have someone close to you sitting with you at the hospital. It is a long day for you (us spineys are asleep :)).

The thing that my hubby did that supported me best was pushing the button of the pain med pump. The nurses may say he should do this himself. But, the fact of the matter is, he will be sleepy! And he needs to stay ahead of the pain!

You may also want to have family or friends take shifts with you, so it isn't always you to sit with him, as noone gets any rest in the hospital! :0 Having someone with him 24 hours is benefitial!

This week I have had a real eye opener as to the amount of stress a care giver is under during this recovery. Us spineys hear it will take 12 months but the day to day really gets us down, and our caregivers too!

Take this time to make plans on how to take care of yourself so that you don't burn out! It can't be stated too many times how long this is.....Try to get together with friends or family once a week if possible ~ lunch with the girls, a movie, shopping anything and keep the date once you set it! You will need it and will be a better care giver for having had some "you" time! :)

Loved ones always say, "is there anything we can do?" Yes, there is ~ getting you out of the house and having some fun! :)

Remember, we are here for both of you! It is a very long journey. But, hopefully, both of you will find it well worth it. I sure am! 60's are the new 40's, so you both have many more wonderful memories to create!

Wishing you both the best! We will be here for you!
  • i wish the best and speedy recovery for your hubby..
    mari's right great tips in that area..
    oh jay thats true for spouses i wish my hubby had someone that helped him...
    but soon as i could get myself showered i called friends and told them to come get him...
    so great ideas
    best to both of you during this time
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'm glad he's moving forward with the surgery. Don't let his age stop him from moving forward and recovering. Some medical staff won't push him to do some recovery things that they'd do with others. So if the physical therapist wants him to get up 2x a day to walk don't let your hubby say no and don't let the medical staff get away with backing off unnecessary.

If you have a laptop and can do wifi access take it with you. The hospital I was in had wifi for patients and their family. My husband was with me a lot the first few days and he did so much the hospital gave him a badge that allowed discounts on food, etc.

The recovery is not easy, and at times very tough, but my hope is that he'll have some immediate relief that makes the post-surgical pain bearable.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • He can be really determined and he has cut himself off from all pain meds weeks ago because they upset his stomach. I can only imagine what he goes through some days because he insists on doing everything he can so he will not lose muscle tone. He'll be whining to me but he'll do everything they tell him and more.LOL
  • Say that I wish him the best in feeling better.
    I know it's scary but sometimes it is a good route to go.

Sending prayers!