Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need some sympathy -

MackenzieMMackenzie Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I could use a little support right now. I have had my stim for 5 months and am doing really well with it. The problem is I accidentally tore the nail off my big toe on vacation last week (stumbled while enjoying a family walk). I am dealing with excruciating nail bed pain and I can't keep my stim on 24/7 like I usually do because the very tips of the tingling I need for lower back, hips, and thighs hit my toes.

Having the stim tingling hit the raw nail bed is breath-taking and nauseatingly painful. Hence my current state - alternately crying and swearing because of the toe pain and not being able to deal with my back pain the best way I know how. I am told the worst of the nail bed pain lasts 3 weeks, so I've two more of this to go? And I leave tomorrow for a 6 day business trip/professional conference - wearing a post-surgical shoe.

Suggestions would be great, but sympathy will do. I hate this.

• Mack have you seen a podiatrist? They can usually do an injection that will relieve the pain in the nail bed.
  • When it happened, I was in a national park and so was an orthopaedic surgeon who offered to take a look. He shoved the nail back in the nail bed to create what he called a biological bandage.

Two days later when I was home and beyond miserable, I got in to see a podiatrist who took the nail off. I saw him again yesterday for antibiotics for infection. I haven't been having the greatest luck.

Thanks, though-
  • You have my sympathy.....

• sorry you are having such problems with your toe and stimulator.. :( having to travel just adds to your problems.. try keeping your foot up whenever you can and stay off it as much as possible.. stick close to the forum for support! we are here for you! Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry! That is absolutely the last thing you need especially while on vacation!

We are here for you!

Wishing you the absolute best and a very speedy two weeks!
  • Today's flying has sucked. At my security patdown the agent squeezed the bandaided toe as if it were toothpaste then was shocked to have made me cry. And a pissy gate attendant would not assign me any of the bulkhead seats reserved for people with injuries/disabilities. She actually said "our aircraft are not for you to prop your feet up and get comfortable.

I'm wearing my postsurgical shoe, using my cane, and carying my DP placard around. I'm not sure how otherwise to look worthy of help and simple human compassion.
  • Well that's not a very nice thing for the attendant to say. When you pre-book your flight let them know what seat you need ahead of time so there can't be any confusion with where you're sitting. Sorry about your toe hope you recover soon. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sorry you've been having a crappy time. I don't know what to say about the toe other than I hope it heals quickly.

Personally I would call the Airlines you flew with and make a complaint. The way they treated you was very rude and uncalled for. I can't believe the nerve of some people.

Tomorrow is a new day and I hope it's a better one.
  • That sounds absolutely horrific! It's amazing how we can live in so much pain every day then get downed by an acute injury. Bleh.

Feel better soon.