Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

You have 2 Options - Surgery Scheduled for 6/28 penidn Inusrance Approval

so over itsso over it Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, after a painful diskogram I was given two options:

I can either live with the pain or have surgery. I chose the latter option. I had a Lumbar Fusion on my L4 in 2008 and I did really will afterwards. Then after many tests it was discovered that I had a tear in my L5 which is causing the pain radiating down both legs. I can honestly say I have been on a roller coaster ride of pain and medication since March. I was taken out of work from 3/25-4/5 to see if bedrest would help. Then I was taken out of work from 5/3-6/7. My quality of life really sucks. I can't sit for long. I can't walk for long. There is no such thing as intimacy (pardon if this TMI) and the only way I can get through my work day (secretary) is by taking valium. So I am hoping.....no I'm praying that my surgery is approved. I was told the hardware from the L4 would be removed and then new hardware would be placed in the L5 with new screws. Has anyone had this issue before?

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,378
    For status post cervical or lumbar fusions.

My hope and prayers for you is that you do not wind up with option 3.

That you have revision surgery - and continued pain.
    Revision surgery is never a guarantee that your pain will be resolved.

Best outcomes are desired for you,

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had L5-S1, then L4-S1 and then L3-S1. Keep in mind I have a wacky back so my experience is not typical.

However, I would recommend you say to the doctor "let's look at the whole situation and see what totally needs to be done. Does L5-S1 appear ok or should that be included?".

I had that discussion before surgery and the day of surgery, with a nurse as my witness I said "fix whatever you find in there, even if it goes beyond what is expected as I don't want to have to undergo more surgery soon if that can be avoided"
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • =D> First of all, thank you for all your positive encouragement.

I just got the word in and the surgery is approved so I am all set for 6/28. I have Anthem Blue Cross/ Blue Shield and the process is moving quickly. I also got a call from the hospital to pre-register. I have a final appointment with my doctor and I do plan on asking him to fix whatever is wrong because I don't want to do this again.