Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jean jayejjean jaye Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Management

I have been going to the same pain center through a nearby hospital for over 5 years. I have had two different doctors, only because the first one left. I have had 5 ESI's and facet blocks (cervical), 1 medial branch block, and 1 rhizotomy/ radio frequency ablation/denervation in March 2008. I got great relief from the top 3 levels that were done, but not the lower, fourth level. I ended up practically begging the doctor to repeat the procedure or even that lower level. I was put into the chronic pain program despite my tears and reservations. I must admit that the Fentanyl patch gave me great pain relief, but I knew that it was not going to "fix" me.
The reason I am writing this is to ENCOURAGE people to check into other pain centers and other pain doctors like you do for surgeons. I felt that I was at the doctor's mercy. I followed all the rules. I was never really questioned about breaking any rules of my pain contract, but I was treated like I wasn't trying hard enough. I seemed to get in trouble if I missed therapy, because my son was in the hospital ( ?????)I brought in written proof and family members to show that my son was in and out of the hospital over and over again. I was treated as if I was a disappointment. I was never given the option of trying the nerve burn again! (the rest of the staff was awesome though) It wasn't until my last visit when I brought my husband with me that I realized that I really wasn't being treated well. I thought maybe I was just too sensitive or something. My husband agreed that the visit was uncomfortable and unsupportive. It bordered unprofessional.
One night I vented in pool therapy to the kind people. One guy that I had talked with for months turned out to be a MIT professor with lumbar issues. He gave me the name of his doctor who offered right away to repeat the procedure. They even SEDATED me!!! Yahoo!! It was NOT barbaric!! All my fingers and toes are crossed, because all four levels are improved. I have been able to reduce my Fentanyl patch by 50% for the first time since October 2008!! I also don't need much break through meds. I pray that this will last. I know that this procedure is not for everyone. I also know that I was intimidated by my doctor and her coldness. I felt more depressed, because I couldn't please her. She didn't understand that my son's health problems were stressing me out majorly and setting my whole system off wack. I am so thankful that I tried the new doctor!!!!!! He agreed that stress contributes to pain and is not an excuse. He was glad that I was seeking the procedure and wanted to reduce medication. He gave me no guarantees, but he gave me the chance!! He listened, and he didn't write me off as "totally unfixable".
I am around 8 weeks out from my procedure and get to return slowly to pool therapy. I know one MIT professor who is getting a big hug!!

Don't be afraid to get more pain management opinions! It can't hurt.

Good Luck and Blessings to All !!
glo :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am so happy to hear you have found a doctor that is now listening, supporting and treating you as you deserve. I hope things continue to help, what a special day that was when you spoke to that professor.
    Take care Glo
    Liz xx

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I heard someone say that their pain doctor lined up the patients and did the ESIs with no anesthesia, right in a row, one after the other sitting up.

My pain doctor does ESIs with fluoroscopy, x-ray guided. I am on a table with a hole in it so I can look through and watch a little TV with arial views of castles in europe. Sedation is always an option. Very gentle, quiet, etc, he talks me through the procedure.

With any physician, remember that someone graduated at the top of their class, and someone graduated at the bottom- and someone graduated at the top of their class at a top rated medical school, and someone graduated at the bottom of their class at a bottom rated medical school. Of those options, which do you want poking a needle in your back?

• That's great you have found a good Pain Management Dr. I too have seen 3 PM Drs for their opinions also. Glad to hear you're feeling better enough to decrease your pain meds after the injections. I wish I could get sedation for my injections but they don't offer that here where I live. Take care, Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hiya my friend glo
    I'm so happy after so long you decided to switch.
    It's about time your getting some much needed relief.
    Some pain docs I have gone to seem to get cold when they don't know what to do for us..
    and if she couldn't get that most parents put their kids health issues befor ours...she's a nut.
    So happy for you..I don't have much trust in pain mang. docs with all I have been thru..I'm glad you found someone that listens and helped you out..
    Take care
    and chat soon
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I am so thrilled for you that you found a compassionate pain doctor. You deserve it! Hope the burn continues to bring you relief. Keep us posted....

Marianne xxx