Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

amazion10aamazion10 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Sleep Problems
I just went home yesterday from a C4-5 and C5-C6 discectomy and C5 corpectomy. Stayed in the hospital for 4 days. Had a hard time sleeping because I cannot get myself comfortable with the neck brace on. Or maybe Im so scared to mess up what the NS have done on my neck.

I was on a reclined position when sleeping in the hospital. When I got home- it was indeed a challenge. I have a wedge stuff that a friend gave to me but it was still too low to make myself comfortable. I used an extra pillow to prop my head up but became so scared to mess the screws inside (i think i was thinking of it so much). Later on through the night, I got somewhat comfortable laying on my right side with a pillow on my face to even out what is on my head. I am just scared that I mess up with all my hardware. Any suggestions. Thanks.

• Glad you got through your surgery and back home recovering. I haven't had surgery but heard others who have say that they're able to sleep in a recliner better. Also you can put lots of pillows on the couch so you're more propped up to sleep better. Would your Insurance cover a hospital bed? Maybe that would help. Hope you're able to sleep better soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i wish i could offer a good way to help you sleep but i am not famaliar with your procedures and would not want to hurt you.. i get cozy with my pillows and turn on my favorite radio station and let the music take me away... maybe that will take your mind off sleep alittle bit and you will just dose off. good luck on an excellent recovery.. hope you get some good sleep soon. Jenny :)
  • Hi, amazion10, and I hope you're feeling better after your surgery. I had a 3-level ACDF with hemicorpectomies of C5 and C6 in late 2006, so I can relate. Are you wearing a hard collar? I had a hard cervical collar on around the clock for 9 weeks. I never felt that my neck was in danger of something popping loose or doing damage; you should be able to prop yourself up however feels best without any worries.

I believe I slept on my back for the first several weeks, using about 3-4 pillows to make myself comfortable. I can't remember when I changed to sleeping on my side, but I know that placed a lot more stress on my neck and shoulders, so I'm thinking I was pretty far along in the healing process. Again, I kept that collar on. When I could finally remove it, I slept in a soft collar for several more weeks just to keep my neck stable.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck with your recovery!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert, tamtam, Bruce , DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , Neck of Steel , Cath111, Z06

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

After any spinal surgery finding a comfortable position to sleep is difficult. When I had both of my Cervical ACDF, I tried a pillow wedge, but that only helped a bit. I found that getting into a recliner was the best position and most comfortable for me
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Howdy! When my C5/6 was fused (ACDF) I found that my recliner was my best friend for like 6 weeks! If you can get a 45 degree angle or there abouts, it might help. I was in my hard collar for 3 weeks, then I was allowed to remove it. I hope you find a comfy position! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.