Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg tiglies, Anyone?

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Fellow Spineys,

I have developed a new sympton that I am concerned will become another harbinger of "bad things to come". Hope I'm just paranoid instead!

Anyway, my 2 level ALIF is now 7 months ago. Dr. is very happy with how it looks and am starting to fuse (yeah!) Unfortunately, my chronic pain seems to be coming from my mess of a 2 level PLIF done 7 years ago. My spine was in such hideous shape my surgeon did the best he could to get the instruments in there to correct the severe scoliosis and DDD. You can see the rods from the first fusion are at an angle and my new plate and cages are perfectly straight. (side note:yes, I am a digital age doofus, still don't know how to get my spine x-rays up here to show you all, and don't think I have the concentration to learn it!)

So I will stop rambling and get to my concern:

My new symptom, which I have noticed happening, very sneakily, a bit more frequently is this: "tinglies" from my my butt and down both legs. Mostly noticable in the a.m. while still in bed, and just now happened sitting in my recliner, which is a first.

These tinglies are NOT the burning, searing pain I hear others talk about; they are not painful, just like tiny electrical currents running down the legs. But, nevertheless, this is a new symptom for me and in the back of my mind I'm starting to worry if this is the beginning of something that is going to get worse. I'm the type of person that deals better with reality, rather than hiding my head in the sand.

When I last saw my Dr. I briefly mentioned it, but there were more pressing issues to talk about, and since then they have seemed to increase.

Does anyone have/had this kind of symptom? Did it get worse? Of course I will contact my Dr. if it gets worse before my next appt., just thought I would reach out to my wonderful spiney friends and see what you have to say.

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post!

Lisa B

• Hi Lisa,

Does it sort of feel like a bug is running down your leg or is just electric zings? I started to have these about 3 weeks post op, but, they were a good thing for me since my leg was 'dead' beforehand. In my case, I think it was the nerves waking up after being decompressed. These sensations have lessened for me and I definitely have more feeling in the leg/foot, tho' I still get the 'creepy/crawly' feeling once in a while. Why not call your doc now, it may set your mind at ease.

Please let us know how it turned out,

• I have fasciculations which are tiny painless little muscle twinges. If you put your hand on your leg do you feel with your hand little movements of your muscles? For me after my epidural and fjis,SI and butt and hip injections I'm noticing less of these fasciculations which I think are nerve irritation from the affected lumbar discs so when I get the injections the steroids must be alleviating the inflammation and taking down the swelling along the discs as well as clearing away the irritating chemicals released by the nerve in question.

I'm not saying this is what you have and know you will bring it up to your Dr. if it continues or gets worse. Take care and hope you continue to heal completely from your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for replying. The sensation is like little electrical zings that go from top to bottum. Since I have posted I read a bit on this site and it sounds like stenosis; my legs also get extremely tired walking up stairs, etc. and from walking any kind of distance, as well as the lower back pain.

I guess I'll wait and see what goes on and take notes to report to my Dr.

Thanks, Lisa