Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 week followup today

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well it has been just over 14 weeks since my surgery. I see my surgeon in a few hours.
At our last visit he stopped PT and said he wanted me to have a good week..not just a good day.
Well that hasn't happened. I still have quite a bit of pain at my surgery site. And the nerve pain I thought was gone on my left calf\foot is coming back. My left foot is driving me crazy. I have a burning pain argg.
I went on a laundry craze a couple of days ago and think I am suffering from that. I do not lift laundry baskets!! my husband does. And I have a laundry shoot, so I don't have to lift heavy clothes down 2 stories to the basement either. That is the frustrating part...by trying to do things when you feel good..you suffer and feel bad for days. I have to take my pain meds still 3 or 4 times a day. So this good week he was talking about has definately not occured.

I know I am not ready to go back to work so I am sure he will just refill my meds then say okay come back in 4 weeks. lol

• with your surgeon visit.
    Have you had x-rays to look for fusion yet?

This fusion surgery definately has a long recovery, but we knew that. What we didn't know was that it was going to drag!

Do let us know how you get on. :-)

Look after yourself :D
  • At my visit 4 weeks ago I had an xray after I saw the doctor. He said he would call if anything was wrong..so no call..but didn't hear if it started fusing either. Will ask about that today.
  • Good news and bad
    Went to the doctor for my appt. The good news is he showed me my xrays from 4 weeks ago and there is definately bone growth there.
    The bad news...my blood pressure was really high..
    177\111. It has been creeping up with each appt. And I have had a terrible headache for the past 2 weeks. Thought it was allergies. So off to my internal med MD I went. Now I am on blood pressure medications. I can't believe it. I am only 37. I have a terrible family history of heart disease too. I start the medication tonight.
    I went and bought a blood pressure monitor and checked it when I got home..lol..still high :(
    Still off of work..still not restarting therapy.

If it isn't one thing it is another..geez

• My niece is only 35 and she has been on BP medication for years. She gets it from her dad's side of the family. Don't let it upset you too much -- just take the meds and let them lower your BP so you can concentrate on healing.

Take care sweetie!

• I feel for ya gal. I can't remember what surgery you had, but I can tell you that I was on the pain pills, at least a few times a day, for at least the first year. I started tapering off them and finally got to where I stopped needing them all the time just a few months ago. I still occasionally take a pain pill if I've had a big day of yard work or house cleaning (I avoid cleaning house like the plague). It's gonna take time. Baby steps, baby steps. Go rent the movie "What about Bob?" It will lift your spirits and you can see what I mean by baby steps.

Oh - I forgot to mention -- intense pain will raise anyone's blood pressure. Take the BP meds, focus on getting that back well, and I'll bet the BP will come down.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• So sorry to hear about your blood pressure. :-(
    Hopefully the medication will bring it down to a healthy level.

What good news that you have started to fuse! :D
    Having been told that I hadn't yet, it makes me very pleased for you. That is one thing you don't have to worry about.

This recovery certainly does go on.
    If it isn't one problem, it is another.
    Eventually we will be recovered and will be able to get on with our lives. :-)
    Meanwhile, we just need to be patient patients.

Take care and try to stay positive :D

• Hi Tonya! YaY! I am happy to hear that you are fusing and things are going well in that regard! That is a big worry that you can cross off your list!

I am sorry to hear that your blood pressure is high! Thankful that they found it for you so that it can be fixed!

It appears that my recovery is becoming complicated also! It looks as if I have herniated at L3-4, I couldn't help myself,I had to look at the CD of my MRI. It is very clear. I know exactly when it happened. I'm not sure why I didn't put two + two together....when I look at my pain log, I described tha pain in the exact location as L3.

I'm not sure what it will mean for me....I am very bummed about it!

I hope that you are able to enjoy your weekend! TGIF!! Wishing you the best!
  • Thanks for all your kind words.
    Jayhawk oh no...so soon after your fusion too? I know that is a risk but oh man. Im so sorry to hear that.
    Jelly sorry you haven't fused yet my friend. I was glad to hear that. He showed me on the xray. So I was fusing at the 2 1\2 month mark which he said is good.

One day at a time..

• Tonya,

What did the fusing look like on the x-ray?

Glad to hear that something is working out good for you.

• Hi David,
    You could see white patches on either side of my hardware. That is the new bone growth.

• glad to hear about you starting to fuse,
    and sorry to hear about your blood pressure, sorry to say but i can relate to that also.
    since my divorce my blood pressure has gone up also,so before my surgery they did every test you could think of to make sure i was healthy. i am currently taking 2 blood pressure medications to try to lower it.
    if i can go back to my job as a truckdriver it needs to come down or i wont pass the every 2 year required physical that all truckdrivers have to take, it's federal law. i know brenda can also relate to these physical's.
    besides the med's, i gave up on all salt intake, and i try to get my fruit and v-8 juice daily to help me also. lots of info. on interent on what can help, so just do the best you can.

take care and my best
  • Hi Tonya

So glad to hear of bone growth!!!That is so exciting for us spineys. And the blood pressure, well that can be controlled and at least it's not going undetected and cause a bigger problem. Stress and pain...two big factors for it to rise. Have you had any wt gain post op?? that can also be a factor. Hang in there girl you'll get there!! Lynette