Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st time RFA yesterday- it was INHUMANE!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi fellow sufferers of the neck. I had an RFA on C-2 area yesterday. I was suprised by the amount of pain during and after the procedure. It was torture and in my book, completely inhumane. They told me that some people don't even have the conscious sedation (which I had). How can that be? It was so painful that I cried like a baby. Now I'm in pain and MAD! I was not given extra pain meds or stronger pain meds either for the recovery. Am I wrong to be so mad? The three nerve blocks were almost unbearable as well. They should have known that I would have a rough time, don't you think?

• but some of us {myself included} can't take pain and painful procedures} so don't feel bad about feeling bad and i hope that your pain subsides soon
  • My husband has been dealing with this for a number of years. He had 2 RFA in JAn 10. Right side and Left side C2-C6. Dr. did it in the wrong place. Injection site was T2 - T6!!!

Went to different Dr for second opinion. They were very confused with what was done. SO now they tried on the right side on June 14 2010. He is still in pain and had really bad headachs.

The fist time he had this done just 2 years ago it worked has was pain free for 6 months. The last 1 1/2 years have been hell.

Being Mad is fine. I am determind to find a Dr. that knows what they are doing. No one should have to live in this pain and on so many drugs. its just crazy.
  • I've had RFA at C2 without any anesthetic. While it wasn't a "comfortable" procedure, it certainly wasn't horrible. Some Tylenol and an ice pack afterward took care of the worst of it.

It is difficult for a doctor to know who will and who won't experience extreme discomfort during a procedure. Many people tolerate these procedures without any additional meds.

Sorry that you had such a difficult experience.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    What is an unbearable treatment for one person, is relatively easy for another. And its not just that one person can handle pain more than another.

That does play a role and I have see this first hand how some people react to treatments, even simple ones like Ice packs at physical therapy. You would just shake your head to hear how some people cry, shout and just whine.

I also think another factor has to deal with what body part is being treated. I think after all my years with spinal problems, there isnt many things that bother me in terms of treatment.

Now, do something with my eyes or fingers!!!!! Then I am like a baby.

We have to feel bad for anyone that has a treatment and that the pain is really strong. Perhaps knowing that in advance may have alerted a doctor to use more sedatives or try different approaches.

For me, I think I still rather step on a nail and have several minutes of acute pain, then to deal with a long, ongoing condition which is sort of a water torture.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, but got on last night to read what everyone was saying about having the rfa done since I was having it this morning. I can say that after reading most reviews, I was a bit more nervous. I actually had a great experience with it this morning. The worst part was the nurse trying to get the iv in me...believe it or not it was very painful. So someone else had to come in and do that part. But, all that to say, I had it done on four levels in my neck bilaterally. They put me in a twilight sleep. I didn't feel a thing. I didn't eve know they did anything until they finished. I was on my stomach the entire time. I first turned my head to the left while they did the one side and then they asked me to turn my head the other way while they did my right side. They had put added a strong anti-inflammatory in the iv before they were through with the procedure. The doctor told me to use a lot of ice 20 on/20 off and take to Aleve in the morning and at night along with my other meds starting tonight. He said it would help a lot with the discomfort. As the anesthesia wore off, I had some trigger point areas that were throbbing so badly. I finally took a pain med since they told me to wait a few hours before doing so and it has helped. I don't know what the next weeks will bring as far as discomfort or relief, but I will keep you posted. For me, I couldn't have had a better experience on the table. I have a wonderful pain doctor with an amazing bedside manner.

I am sorry to hear about those of you that had bad experiences.
  • Wow, I have never had twilight or been sedated, given medication or anything before any of my procedures. I had a Cll RF done in Oct., and then again in May and yes it was uncomfortable. It was pretty sore and painful for about a week and up to 2 weeks after the first one, the second one was sore too, but not quite as sore, maybe because I knew what to expect... no, I don't think so on retrospect. I told my Dr how bad it was and he admitted that he probably "went to far" with a portion of what he was doing. He didn't do anything wrong, but he said that he was pretty aggressive with me. I try to go into a zone whenever I'm getting a procedure done and I don't vocalize my pain, so there is no way for the Dr to know unless I tell him afterwards just how bad (or not bad) something went. I can only hope that my Dr. trusts what and how I communicate to be sufficient.