Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain turns to migraine

SbhSSbh Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Two years ago I had my C5-C6 disc replaced with the prestige disc. It has helped 80%. I am still dealing with neck pain, seems to be from muscle tightness, which always go into a bad headache. I cannot look up. If I do, I suffer for days which becomes a migraine, sometimes with aura, sometimes not. I see a massage therapist weekly, have gotten trigger point injections, occipital nerve injections, accupuncture and now have scheduled botox injections, which I am hesitant to do but at my wits end. Has anyone had this experience from looking up? Not sure what is causing it. Not even sure where to go for help as some doctors look at me like I'm strange and my ortho surgeon says it may be permanent nerve damage.
Any advise would be appreciated.

• Are your migraines definately caused by your neck?

I have had three migraines with aura since my surgery 12 weeks ago. I have suffered with migraines for years, but not had the same degree of visual disturbance as since surgery. With the first one, they treated it as a TIA (mini stroke) but after brain scan and cartoid ultrasound of my neck were normal, said it must have been a migraine.

I have experienced dizzyiness after looking up, which I think was due to my neck.

Sorry I can't give any advice. I am still fumbling my way through my neck symptoms! :S

I'll keep reading here to try to lean something. :?
  • Oh, do I ever understand! It is so nice to be able to converse with others that suffer so horribly from a neck pain that seems to defy identification! Before I had pain medication, each day was torture in the morning as it began to build and build until it went into a migraine and the nausea and pain were debilitating. Not many doctors can tell me what it is or what to do about it. By the time each evening came, I could not position my head and neck in any position to give me a rest from the muscle tension and discomfort. I tried a facet injection and an epidural with no success. I take MS contin 30 mg around the clock and I have my life back. However, the pain will start at the drop of a hat to say nothing of my lumbar spine issues.
    I see a PM group and was referred to a NS. He threw his hands up and said he doesn't know what is causing the pain in the neck. I had x rays and a MRI of the cervical spine and brain. I had four bulging discs which he said were not causing the pain.
    The NS ordered a soft collar and mentioned acupuncture. He referred me to a Neurologist! I am out of steam with all these useless tests and makeshift solutions.
    I've decided to just ride with the pain medication for the time being, what else can we do?