Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

woohoo...relief...now what?

swingsswing Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Injections
after my pitty party "poke and hope" thread from a couple weeks ago...i had 2 facet injections yesterday (S1/L4 i think) and today i feel better than i have in 8 months. obviously my facet was causing the problems, not the discs. i am scared to death that its going to come back any second so i am walking on egg shells and have my follow up in 2 weeks.

what are the next steps for those who have been through it? last time doc said if this works a rizotomy (sp?) is next? are there other options? it almost seems facet problems are worse than disc problems when it comes to long term solutions?

p.s. this site has been great, i appreciate all the wisdom learned here.

• Yay!! I'm *so* glad you got relief, and that's awesome that you have definitely identified the pain source.

There is a chance that the steroid in the injections could calm whatever inflammation is there and maybe the pain will stay away or will at least be reduced? I know some people are able to manage just getting cortisone injections to calm things down, but since you're limited to 3 per year it is usually not a viable long-term strategy if the pain returns. I had one done on the right side of my back that "stuck" for whatever reason and I haven't had any other trouble on my right side, so never say never :)

The rhizotomy is the "long-term" solution, but that is of course not permanent. You could also ask your doctor if anti-inflammatory arthritis meds could help? I think it depends on what exactly is going on with the facet joints, and your doc should be able to tell you. I think the options are pretty limited, but the treatments are minimally invasive so that's great!
  • I'm so glad that the facet injections helped you. Isn't it nice to feel so much better?

If your doc said that if this works then an RFA (radiofrequency ablation or rhizotomy) could be perfect for you. The nerves that the FJI helped would be burned and it can take up to 18 months for the nerves to grow back. So you might get some pretty significant relief. Like Lala said, you might even get the relief you need from the FJI you just received. That would be awesome.

I totally understand how you feel about wondering if and when the pain will return, that's normal. Bu, try and have fun and live your life while you're pain-free and try not to worry about the future.

Congratulations on the injections making you feel better and be sure to keep us posted. It's always nice to hear FJI success stories.

• WOOHOO! Those danged facets are nasty things! My rhizotomy did relieve lots of random pains.