Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds & Apnea

beastonbbeaston Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all :)

I guess it's a little late to be asking this question, but it still bothers me a bit...

I have had sleep apnea for some time now. I'm on Oxycodone for pain, but getting ready to try out Darvocet as a replacement.

My doctor that prescribes my meds knows that I have apnea, so I guess I have nothing to worry about? Or do I have a legitimate concern?

TIA!
advertisement

Comments

• I have severe sleep apnea and use a bi-level machine. I also have taken many different drugs including oxycodone, vicodin, percocet, and even morphine patches. The most important thing is to keep your sleep disorder doctor informed about your medications so that they can monitor your breathing paterns.

All opiates can cause resperation changes, so it is very important that you keep your doctors informed of your medications.

Hope this might help you.
    Gary
  • I have had it for years. I make extremely sure that I never ever fall asleep without my mask on. I am sure that the pain meds relax that muscle even more and if we are in a deeper sleep I would not want to risk not waking up when you stop breathing. I feel safe as long as I wear my mask EVERY time that I go to sleep. Even short naps.

The day after my surgery my throat was bruised and very sore. When the nurse called to check on me I asked why and she said it was because she had to keep pinching my airway open during surgery.

If you don't start breathing again under anesthetia on your own I feel like you may not while taking pain meds.

This is just my opinion but always better safe than sorry.