Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reverse fusion

sos.55ssos.55 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone ever had their fusion remove and re-do? I had a fusion in 2007, and it seems to keep growing and growing, and now it is compressing the nerves, and blocked the entire left exit. Surgeon shaved last year, but this year it grows even more. This week, surgeon suggested to remove the fusion and do-over. I almost fainted. It has been a long road, but the fusion kept growing. Anyone know why a fusion would keep growing? Does anyone know how a fusion can be removed?

Any advice helps!
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

You don't mention what surgery you had, lumbar or cervical, but my guess would be the overuse of BMP that's causing the overgrowth, especially if you're talking lumbar surgery. That's just my guess as I've heard of it happening before.

What does your surgeon say? If it turns out that it is the BMP and the same surgeon is going to do the re-fusion, I'd be a little nervous that he'd use too much again. BMP is wonderful in helping with fusion, but overuse of it causes overgrowth that can be very painful, pressing on nerves and such.

Anyway, that's my thought for what it's worth. Maybe someone will come along and have another explanation that's been there, done that.

Take care,
    Cath
  • PROBABLY STUPID ? BUT WHAT IS BMP?
  • not sure of the exact acronym but it is the bone marrow that they use to stimulate growth of the vertebra which causes the fusion. I guess in some cases it can cause too much growth. I would imagine that in some people just their normal bone growth may also be the cause.

What does your doctor say is the cause?
  • BMP is Bone Morphogenetic Proteins and you can read about it here:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/bmp-bone-morphogenetic-proteins

It's FDA approved for use in lumbar fusion surgery, but not for use in cervical spine surgery because the cervical area is too full of nerves, close to the spinal cord and the patient's airway can be compromised if overgrowth was to occur. However, many surgeons will use what's called off-label BMP in cervical surgeries like mine did.

ernurse has had major problems with BMP overgrowth and has posted about it on these forums. If you want to read about her experience, use the forum area search function and type in BMP. You'll find her post and/or reaction to my original BMP post there.

Cath

PS That wasn't a stupid question, many people aren't aware of or familiar with BMP.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had the reverse fusion surgery. The surgeon went in a broke out all the old fusion and then refused. Ill be honest and remember as I say this everyone is different, it was a hard surgery. The surgeons exact words were I had to beat the s##t out of you to get it done. Recovery was long and hard. I never did fully recover and had to have another surgery 8 months following. On the good side of it all my arm, leg and neck pain were gone.I had so much bone overgrowth that led to severe stenosis which led to so many problems. Le t me know of your outcome and keep us posted on your progress.
    Good luck,
    Susan
  • I had the lt cage with BMP done on l-5 s1. I just read in a Neurology forum that they will not advise Dr.'s to use as much BMP now because of overgrowth after a 2007 report. My surgery was 2006 and has never been right.
advertisement