Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a pound is a pound

coach13ccoach13 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
losing a pound is the same for everyone 3500 calories equals one pound 500 calories a day for seven days equals one pound. it doesen't matter how much you weigh. THE ONLY QUESTION is how fast and safe do you need to be. Losing weight is serious. The best way is to go to a dietition and have her make you a diet. I lost 120 pounds. No one ever told me weight loss causes yo galdblader to go bad. I had to have it taken out.

• I'm starting an exercise regiment next week. Balancing the exercise and diet with reasonable goals. I see a lot of these fad diets and things I consider dangerous. Your post is exactly the numbers I was looking at. Make a 500 calorie deficit each day and loose a pound a week. I plan on the 500 calorie deficit being from exercise. Not just using diet.

My end goal isn't all focused around some number of pounds. More about balancing out my health based on diet and exercise. If I ended up converting fat to muscle and weigh the same in 6 months that's fine.

• Coach13,
    Some of this is lifestyle changes and one pound is the best objective we can have and especially for those in pain, anyone trying to reduce the weight that they are need progressive and continuing amounts to keep going. Research suggests that the bigger the initial loss the more chance that this weight will return again over time and even if the average was one pound eventually we will reach our goal whatever that is. Those bigger numbers are not sustainable, I do try not to use the pain as an excuse for eating what I want and not doing any exercise, continual pain means that we have to be more creative in what and how we progress and use every opportunity when time and opportunity allows.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.