Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

to fellow yogis

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I had two microdiscectomies at S1L1 over a year ago. Now I have returned to yoga. I remember my doctor telling me not to bend at the waist when picking up things.

In yoga as you know, bending at the waist is part of the sun salutation. I was wondering how many of you avoid this part or are able to do this pose without any problems.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    My doctor has told me, that the 'standard' set of Yoga exercises would not be good for Cervical, Lumbar or Thoracic individuals.

Instead , there is another set of Yoga, that is directed to people in that situation. Not being a person who has done that, I can only say what my doctor told me.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi!! :H i adjust the poses to suit my back and leg better.. that means they don't always look the way they should but i do protect myself.. you will probably have to do the same. you might want to speak to a good pt or even your doctor before you start! there are even qualified yoga teachers to help with those of us having disabilities.. good luck if you go this route.. it helps keep me limber and loose. i am not able to practice everyday due to pain levels but i do try to do it as much as possible. most of all, have fun and be careful!! Jenny :)
  • Unfortunately I've had some bad set backs lately and can't do Yoga but I did for years with no problems. 1st off you want a teacher who will work with you on adjusting the poses so you are not putting too much pressure on your back. I bent my knees quite a bit and if something wasn't good at all my teacher would give me a que and I would skip it. Yoga was a great way for me the strengthen in a low impact way and it was great for my mind. Like with anything us spine peeps need to be extra careful with how we move our bodies I wish you luck in your Yogi adventure. I do hope I can get back to it!!!
  • I can't do everyday but i just adjust certain poses in yoga to fit me..
    I got great dvd's from my library they have all kinds of yoga to fit each disabiltiy...
    I loved one called yoga for seniors..and another yoga with scoliosis...i just take few poses from each and made up my own routine..
    I have lumbar issues and fibromyalgia so i have taken alot of what i learned into water exercises
    heated pool of course..
    just do what you can do
    best to you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Correction: I had surgery at L5S1.

I am continuing to practice yoga. Actually when I first returned to yoga, my hip ached, which I never experienced before. After few sessions, the pain went away. I think my hip became stiff during recovery.

I can do most poses except the plow pose and other advanced poses. In addition, I avoid poses that I am uncomfortable with.

My PT and surgeon have released me to return to all activities, so I am taking babysteps to my favorite form of exercise. I love yoga because it helps me with flexibility, strength, and stress relief. I also like it because it is low impact. I had to quit running, which was a great stress reliever.

Thank you for responding!
  • A suggestion for those who can't go back to Yoga is Chi Kung (Qi Gong) and I think it used to be known as Chinese Yoga. I'm still a beginner and find it very gentle on the body and yet I get a good workout. It's also very calming and relaxing. I'm learning a little bit of Tai Chi as well, but the movements are more advanced.

I haven't had any muscle spasms since I started doing Chi Kung from 7 months out, which is 2 months ago.

Would recommend checking with your doctor before starting any exercise programs.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks Trish do you take a class or have you found a DVD? I would love to find something that is similar but gentle on my body. Thanks, Renea'