Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Change of Stimulation Pattern

davedave Posts: 860
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I have had my implant for 7 months now. It's safe to say that I'm pretty scarred in. I have the Medtronic RestoreUltra Spinal Cord Stimulator. My coverage starts just below my knees to my toes. I rarely run my stimulator in what some have referred to as jack hammer mode.

I have recently had to turn down my amplitude as its become to strong for me. After all my research, I find this odd. The scar tissue should be causing more impedance, making me have to turn the amplitude up. It's one of those things thats making me go HMMM. Right now the amplitude is in no mans land, either I turn it down one notch to be comfortable (poorer performance) or leave it where it was for optimum performance. It does not feel like the leads have moved because the stimulation is in the same areas as before, just stronger. Another oddity is that my battery life has been put on steroids cause I seriously think I could extend my recharging to every other week and still have some juice left in the tank. Of course, It would probably take 4-5 hours to recharge rather the 2+ that I currently dedicate every Sunday.

Any comments?

• When I pulled my anchors loose and lost my strain relief loops, it jacked up the stimulation on me. My leads were scarred in tight and didn't move, but the strain on them being "pulled" made the stimulation go up. Once the anchors were redone and strain relief loops recreated, things went back to normal.

It was very easy to see the problem with a simple x-ray.

• Sorry to hear and hope you feel better. Has anyone ever healed well enough to have the SCS removed?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • C, thanks for the input. Its complicated when following up with my stim. The PM that implanted it did some illegal billing last time I saw him. I see my PM in a few weeks, so I'll see if he'll do the xray to make sure everything is cool. I'll also give my Rep a call for his input.

Charry, I'm feeling fine or as fine as I can. I have no idea if anyone healed up enough to have their stim removed. I know it would be a cold day in hell for someone to try and take mine.

• As Dave said I would hate to be the guy that try to remove mine.

• Dave, is it possible you've done something to cause some deep tissue inflammation/swelling at the lead site?
  • I guess its possible. Haven't a clue as to when it could have happened. The increase isn't just something that suddenly appeared but rather cropped up over time. It's possible that this is how things are supposed to work for me. Sometimes, I really feel the need to be different.