Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just started SSDI application today

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Health Insurance Issues
My LTD insurance company provided me with the name of an SS vendor (law group) that I can use and I called them today. We did the initial application over the phone, she'll send me some paperwork, and we'll go for there. When you are on LTD the good thing is I don't pay for the SS Attorney. The LTD insurance company absorbs that so I want them to run with everything and just keep me informed. Let's see how long the whole thing takes, years if I'm predicting correctly.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• I'm sure this is hitting you mentally on some level. I hope not too hard.

I'm very interested to hear how it goes. I went out on disability a week ago. I have STD and LTD from work and still have the lost wages from the no-fault ins from the accident. From what the surgeon said I can expect to be out a year and a half assuming this surgery works.

Keep posting - you always have such great info.
  • Hi there:

It took me two years. I was on LTD, however, the fee for the lawyers was taken out of my settlement money and paid to them by Social Security Administration. LTD continued to pay me while I waited for SSDI to come through. They also took a portion of my settlement money for the amount they paid me while I waited.

I was at the point where I was waiting to see an Administrative Law Judge. I emailed my attorney this past Feb asking how much longer my wait might be. She said it was a two yr average waiting period where I live, on top of the two years I'd already waited.

One month later I received my full acceptance letter. My attorney kept sending SSDI my medical records. Finally, they decided I was disabled.

Its a long haul. There are times you will be discouraged by the rejection letters. Just keep going with it. I had attorney's from the get-go as well.

Best to you!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yes, my LTD and SSDI will coordinate the same way. I used to work in the LTD industry in claims so I knew that I was lucky to have LTD pay while the SS process goes on.

It was okay being on LTD but now going on SSDI just seems odd to me (especially after 15 years of being on the other side of the disability issue/industry). I am lucky in that I am getting 98% of friends and family who totally understand and maybe 2% that really just don't get it and may never get it. Although the friend I was most disappointed in called me today after many weeks. I'm wondering if she said something and another friend of hers told her that sometimes in life, even at 43, one can be disabled from working but not disabled from living life.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Good Luck with the process. As you know it can be long. I was required to file per my LTD company. They supported me and supplied the law group to handle it. Fortunately for me!

It took just a little over 4 months to get my first denial. We now are moving forward.

Speaking of denials, It's hard to accept. I keep telling myself it's only temporary.

Keep us posted. Hope you are feeling better and recovering well.
  • You can pick your own atty and your LTD company will still pay the fees. I researched and read that there are cases where it is much better to use your own. Good luck.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

Yep, I gave using a local firm serious consideration and had a good local firm in mind. I knew they'd have unique knowledge of the local judges (how each works, what is likely to sway a certain judge, etc). But my employer/coverage has some unique factors. When I called the law group I had been referred to by the LTD carrier I spoke with someone who was 100% up to date in how my employer handles my employment, LTD, etc. They are based in Boston but frequently represent Arizona residents (that was a deal breaker if they did not) and she said they have an office in Dallas that is well versed in Arizona SS judges.

Here were the factors:

(1) For many people they are let go by the employer during or before LTD begins. My employer is different, I remain an "uncompensated employee on LTD" and get medical coverage under the retiree plan for as long as I am on LTD. That means, since I'm 43, if they pay me LTD for 20 years I continue to be an employee for 20 years and my pension continues to vest. This can be quite confusing for SS as they try to figure out my exact employment status.

(2) My LTD benefits are tax-free. I chose that option when I began employment and I paid the premium during my employment (well worth it now that I get my LTD tax free). This was already an issue with the IRS. We can no longer e-file we have to send in our federal tax return with my W2 that shows the tax free LTD status.

(3)My LTD provider is also my employer. I worked in the Disability/Life insurance industry so my employer does STD/LTD for customers and thus administers LTD for their own employees. This can also confuse SS.

When I talked to the person at the law group (a paralegal I assume) she was already well versed on all these issues, how to explain this to SS up front, and thus I decided to use them. Now, we'll see how this all goes. I do love the fact that they do ALL the work. I just sign the release forms and they do the initial application, etc.

• former employer had the exact same benefits as yours. He will get all employee benefits until he reaches retirement age.

Medicare and Social Security have not been an issue understanding the benefit over the last 12 years but BC/BS has been a major nightmare trying to understand (conveniently) that they are primary and Medicare is secondary. It seems that every few years we have to fight the same old battle with them. I feel that I understand how the laws work better than they do at times.

Good luck.