Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prescription for hot-tub?

scaredofsurgerysscaredofsurgery Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Pain Management
Anyone ever try and get a script for a hot-tub?
When I see my doc I am going to ask him if its possible. I kinda dont think it will be possible, but I figure it may be worth it to try. I think it would be a great idea.
advertisement

Comments

• Do Let me know how that works out!
  • Yes, your doctor can write a prescription for a hot tub. If you have it in hand when you purchase, you will not have to pay any sales tax on it. I have several friends who have done this, and hopefully at some point in the near future I will as well.
  • I asked my doctor about that. If you can prove medical necessity you can save the sales tax and may even get it approved by your insurance. If you pay for it you can also write it off as a medical expense on your taxes. Another tax writeoff is the electric to run it.

Of course you may get audited. So if you decide to do this make sure you are well documented and that you only deduct the portion that is for your medical use. If you have a family you either have to prove they never use it or only deduct a portion.

Years ago it was big to deduct central vac systems because it gets more of the dust out of the house since it exhausts outside. So ENTs where writing prescriptions like crazy.

And then remember that hot tubs are very expensive to run especially as you get into colder climates. I'm in NY. A friend put one in last year. When they started it up this spring the first month added $300 to their monthly electric bill. The hot tub is cheap compared to the electric.
  • I got a script for one but haven't used it yet. I have recently been looking at them more and to my surprise there is a ton of used ones out there with maybe a year use on them. It seems to be one of those items people get and think they will use it everyday and it goes by the waste side and becomes a eye sore or something just taking up space. As far as the script the idea came from my doctor on it, as he thought it could help me with the chronic muscles spasms. I have been through a audit, on my business expenses and it is no fun by any means. If you do it with the intentions of writing it off make sure the receipt is not on thermal paper, that paper fades over a year and is not readable.
  • This is some amazing first hand information. Who would have thunk it. Only on SH. Love it!

Wondering if I can get the doctor to write that script too?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,020
    I did have a script for medical necessity for a Hot-Tub. Didn't change anything about the purchase price, but it was allowed for tax considerations.
    Also, the electric used by the Hot Tub can also be considered. You just need to identify the kilowatts used by the Hot Tub.

Some doctors will not write a script for this. I think the question comes about if an insurance company would agree with the prescription
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Most insurance companies have a section in the policy documents that specifically excludes coverage for hot tubs, swimming pools, and like items because they're classified as a personal care items, not medical equipment. It's basically the same reason they don't have to pay for grabbers, hearing aids, stair-chairs, elevators, treadmills, health club memberships, etc. even if those items directly improve valid medical conditions.

• but I live in a state with no sales tax. If you could write off anything it's worth a try. I love my Hot-tub and don't regret buying it!!!
  • somehow I do not think Anthem Blue Cross would go for it.... but it would be epic if I pulled it off.

They did approve my stem machine with no hassle. Very nice unit, retail was about 3k.

Good luck

• When you are hurting so much with any type of pain, it is key to find something that aids in relaxation to settle down those tight, aggravated nerves. Last summer the family of a boy my daughter was dating decided to get rid of their hot tub. It was an older model and we knew it needed some work, but decided to take the chance. 10 football players delivered it to our deck and then a Hot Springs rep came and evaluated/repaired and did the set up with chemicals, etc. Although this happened over a period of months, we finally had it up and running and it has been a blessing. There was no insurance coverage in my situation, but I cannot tell you how many evenings I have looked forward to relaxing in the hot tub or in the jetted bath tub that my husband installed in our master bathroom, just for me. Both "tubs" represented some expense, but nothing like it would have cost for a new hot tub (we paid about $1500 for the repairs/setup/cover when a new one like ours would have been $7500)and I have seen very little increase in our electric bill so I assume ours must be very efficient (we keep it covered with an insulated cover when it is not being used). We keep the temperature set to about 105º.
    Knowing that my pain will probably never go away, my dear husband has encouraged these additions to our home in order to provide me ways to relax and be comfortable, even if it is a temporary thing. I find that using either of them right before bedtime is the best. I also have found a mixture of Epsom Salt/Lavendar Oil (brand name Dr. Teal's) that can be purchased in the health/beauty section at WalMart or Kmart has helped too in the bathtub.
  • Does anyone else experience severe increased pain after being in a hottub? I use my sisters and the next day I can barely walk due to the pain. I thought it was maybe because the seats are hard?
    I had contacted my insurance (Cigna) on this and although they won't pay or accept a scrpt for a hottub, pool, ect they will pay for a gym membership that has a pool.
  • We purchased a jacuzzi bathtub from a popular retaliler. My husband installed it in our bathroom, wasn't to complicated. Only needed a plumber to consult over a simple problem. It was not very expensive. When I get off work and my back is killing me it is a blessing. Esp. the foot jets!!!I def. consider it part of my treatment for lower back pain. Let us know how it goes
  • I am not sure whether you will get a prescription for a hot tub from a doctor, but installing a hot tub really works if you are suffering from chronic back pain. I had installed a therapeutic spa and hot tub at my house by Ferrari Pools in Boston this year. And it is worked wonders for me.
  • love them,theres some kind of 1 person tub that is advertised over at home construction places,door opens from the side and looks like a regular tub but very very deep like the old clawfoot tubs$.5k sunk that idea quickly.got a membership to the ymca,used their hot tub, but then couldnt use it half the time maintence or chemical issues,so cancelled that membership.maybe an option for someone else.utility rates to run one would not be cost effective here as our water and electric is on 1 bill and its bad enough as it is. would be a awesome thing though if it were possible.Id probably live in the thing.love them for muscle spasm and pain relief
  • Is it possible to get a prescription for one of those lumbar pulling traction devices--I'd sleep with it hooked to me, I'd never be out of it? I love traction!!!
  • MssassyladyMMssassylady Posts: 1
    edited 08/30/2015 - 10:11 AM
    My doctor said she could write out a prescription for a hot tub but she needs a code??

Doctors and their Administration office have all the codes , some are called CPD and ICD

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 506
    Was years ago, no longer have tub. I just used as medical expense on taxes, saved script in case of audit. What I got back in my taxes by no means covered the cost of tub, probably just the sales tax portion. But every bit helped. It was a small three person tub, I don't think trying to claim a larger one would fly. Would be better to do as previously posted, and take script to tub business. I would call a hot tub place for codes and more info. I didn't try and claim electric. Mine was in basement of previous home sold (had an overhead garage door, making for easy install, and cheaper electric bills being in doors....plus it was more private and secure). But I had well water that constantly gave me pH issues, so it didn't bother me to say audios? For those first six years having the tub I think really helped with sore muscles... From working so hard! But my last year living there, my lower back started bothering me. And again, probably from doing more than my body should. That may have been beginning of chronic sciatica. It got to where the hot water made my back feel worse.

I just went in the PT/hospital wellness fitness center pool last week for the first time...Heavenly. Looking forward to it tomorrow.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.