Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF on 6/17

dharlanderddharlander Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 50 yr old I had anterior cervical discectomy with fusion at c5/6-7 last Thursday, 6/17. I went home the following morning. My symptoms prior to surgery were rt shoulder and arm pain, numbness and weakness in my fingers and hands, and muscle atrophy in my upper right arm. The burning pain between my shoulder and elbow of my right arm was the worse, and that, thankfully, was gone in the recovery room. My MRI showed moderate to severe stenosis at C5/6 and osteophytes. They were able to clean everything out of there, used synthetic disc and plate and screws.

• That's great you were able to go home the day after surgery. Good to hear you're doing so well after surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much. I also do not have a neck brace. My neurosurgeon only uses neck braces with smokers, as their bones tend to be more porous. I'm having an issue with percocet making my ears ring terrible. Hopefully that goes away when I get off this stuff. Muscle spasms today have been rough, but otherwise I'm doing pretty good I think.
  • Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many going through what you are or whom have already gone through the surgery.

The worst part seems to be over as many the anticipation of surgery is worse. The muscle spasms tend to take sometime to let up. I noticed you mentioned percocet but no muscle relaxer, might want to ask for one? Also when you are ready speak to your surgeon about doing massage therapy may help loosen the muscles up some. Remember as you get further from surgery the physical scars will be gone but your body is still recovering, so be sure to follow all the directions you have been given.

Myself I am a three level cervical fusion so if I can ever be of assistance to you don't hesitate to pm me. Once again welcome to spine-health. Take care.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on a successful and complete recovery.. please follow all your doctor's orders.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Thanks so much for your support. I would have to say that the muscle spasms are the worse. I also had some left arm pain last night (did not have it before surgery). It's definitely better than it was a few days ago though.

I failed to mention that this was fourth spine surgery. 20 years ago I had spinal fusion at L5/S1. Had a rented hospital bed at home, which decided to break and fall to floor one week to the day after my fusion (with me in it! My surgeon had to go back in (emergent) and repair a tear in dura, and remove one of the facet screws. 10 months later I had to have a fusion at L4/5 and repair of the L5/S1 fusion. It was a tough time,.

In comparison to that ordeal, this is much 'easier'. However, it's still a tough thing to go through. But, I'm a pretty tough chica :-).

I had Flexeril from prior to surgery which I started taking on Tuesday when the spasms were so bad. It helped. Thanks for the reminder.

You guys are all great here, and there is awesome information. I have had chronic pain for many years, and about a year and a half ago found an amazing Pain Management physician. We are going to revise my plan after I have had a chance to heal from this procedure.
  • :O) Hi and welcome...I had C4/5,5/6 and 6/7 discs fused last February and had to stay in hospital after the op for 7 days...You are going great already if they let you home the next day.

I had problems with swalling for a while after the op and they say thats normal so what I did was mash my food or eat things that would just slide down..

Keep up the great recovery and take care
  • When your fussion is being done or anything in the front of you causes your throat to be pushed to the side. I looked at the x-ray and my throat took a 90 degree turn. It was a while before swallowing w/o discomfort. I also ended up with nerve damage at thre incission making shaving difficult.