Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Out the other side and doing well.....

KristyBretteKKristyBrette Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey there guys,

Well I know its been a few weeks but the PLIF's done and dusted and you wont believe how well Im doing!!
The first few days were hard and PAINNNNNNNNNNNNFULLLLLLLL, but I did do a couple of PM's while I was in the hospital, and I did do alot more things I thought I would, I did lots of drawing, a little bit of scrapbooking and I did take my Laptop with the wireless internet which was also great for Cam while he was waiting for me to come through the op, and I was thankfull for his mind being occupied as best as possible cause he was so worried!

The first few days were hard, I didnt know about the 3rd day blues, and it was a hard day, too I had the drs being a bit mean, where due to the pain and the meds I was on before the op I needed more than normal after and they set what I was on to cover me, but then they started to tell me that I was having too much and that I was just hooked on the meds and not really needing them - for goodness sake Id just had major surgery and from what I could see I was no different to the lady across the room from me in what meds she had- so I told them that if that was what they thought they could take all the mds away and Id do it in pain with nothing, and then they did an about face telling me that I wouldnt heal in pain, but cause I insisted they had to take it all away, and they went to just giving me pills, sticking with oxycontin and oxynorn, tramadol, paracetamol and the standard ones to get your bowels going again.

Funny thing was though that had them all eating their words (they too told me my attitude was wrong) when I got out of bed day 3 postop and walked 4 times as far as theyd asked me too, then the day after that, I walked 6 times all the way outside and round the carpark!

So now Im 3weeks post op and I went on a morning outing last thursday with my friends and their kids to the stock yards and watched the auction, that was about 3-4 KMs walking with rests, and yesterday I drove the car to see Cam at work down the road and then took the kids to the shops for a little light shopping and wow they were over the moon! My eldest gril told me that she just loves having her old Mum back and that it was like before I got hurt and she missed me being happy and is happy that its all awesome again!

I have to say the kids are the ones that have been through the hardest emotionally, but things are going so well!

My pain is still there but im just so happy that things are getting back to normal and happy life so much quicker than Id expected.

So the last thing I want to say to everyone here is a MASIVE THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldnt have done it with out all your help and support!!!

I cant wait to be able to hopefully help the next people that need it, and to be able to let them know that it can all turn out well even when that is a thought that you dont think possible at the worst!

All my love and hugs, KB
:angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-):angel: :love:" alt=":love:" height="20" /> :hug: :kiss:" alt=":kiss:" height="20" /> ;-)

• you are doing so well. I'm so jealous lol. I had mine almost 2 years ago and still have problems. I am worried, though, that you are moving too fast. You don't need a setback. Are you supposed to drive so soon afterwards?

Best to you,

• So good to hear from you; especially as you are doing so well. Do mind that you don't overdo it though. You don't want to set yourself back again.

Now you will have plenty of time to do your scrapbooking and other crafts.
    I am working on illustrating a short story that I have written for my 3 year old granddaughter. It is fun and helps to pass the time.

It must be so good for your children to have their mum back again. I know when my grown up daughter told me that she had her mum back again, I felt so good :-)

Keep healing and be gentle with yourself :D
  • That's great to hear that you're back to being happy again and enjoying life as it was before the injury. Take it easy though but great to hear such a positive recovery from surgery. All the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN