Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So what does a soft diet consist of?

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
We are being told that hubby will be on a soft diet after his surgery on Thursday but no one has told us what means and how long he will need to be on it. I'm assuming lots of fluids,puddings, jello etc but what else and when can he go back to regular eating?

• if its a gastric one he could be on a soft diet for a long time but if its spinal a fusion ADR ? i could imagine just until he is out of hospital .i have crohn's and when i have the dreaded colonoscopies i have to have a soft diet lie jelly and custard and anything that you could almost drink good luck with the operation
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    as soon as his vitals are up to an exceptable range.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Soups, cream soups, mashed potatoes, puree meats. You can request to see the Dietitian at the hospital who will clarify all what your husband can have. Is he having cervical spine surgery? Clear fluids are anything you can see through. Hope his surgery goes well.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think your husband is having the same surgery that I am recovering from - L4/L5 decompression and fusion.

I think you will find that it is only for the first day or so that he needs to be on a soft diet (others have given examples of soft foods). This is because the anaesthetic can affect the bowel and close it down. Once it wakes up again (starts making sounds) you can slowly reintroduce normal foods again.

After my surgery, for the first few hours, I was on a liquids only diet because I had needed a transfusion, and it was just in case I needed to return to surgery. First day after surgery I was on a soft diet, then by the second day I was back to normal food.

I'll be thinking of you both (I know that you will be awake, so will be worrying!) and hoping that all goes well. I'll pray for you too, if you would like :-)
  • i forgot all about the soft diet.
    my surgery was done in a spinal surgery center, and on the same day as my surgery i had a regular meal, which was kinda cool cause there were no kitchen facilities there, they order out at the local restaurants and then send the nurse to go get them and charge the insurance co.
    i ate like a king. have'nt eat'en that good in years. sorry didnt want to change the subject, just i never thought about the soft diet stuff until it was just brought up.

• The soft diet varies from hospital to hospital depending on what dietary manual they are using and what the physician orders. There are a wide range, so it's hard to predict (dysphagia diets, soft diet, mechanical soft, puree, etc...). My immediate post-op soft "meal" was chicken broth, popsicles, jello, and apple juice. It was a clear liquid diet rather than a soft diet since the anasthesia can cause N/V in some people. Your husband's throat will likely be sore from being intubated so he'll probably be wanting something soft anyways.

As soon as I asked to switch to a regular diet they let me switch (which was probably 12 hours out from lumbar sugery), so don't forget to ask if your husband is feeling hungry and like he can handle regular food if he is allowed to switch to a regular diet (otherwise they might forget to switch his diet orders). It's a whole different ballgame for cervical surgeries, so this is just based on experience from an L-spine procedure.