Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just checking in and saying hello

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I have been gone for about a week and just trying to heal and deal with my recovery and I check in once and a while and read some posts just to see whats going on.

There have been so many wonderful people here who have been so supportive with each other as we deal with our back issues and also our other issues in life at times too.

It is a journey, and its so nice to have our fellow spineys travelling with us. I just wanted to create a new post to say thanks and to ask how some of you are doing.........

Sheri, Jelly, charry, frog, jim just to name a few!!!!

I hope you are all doing well!!! I wonder from day to day whats happening in your lives?? Shari back at work? Jelly recovering in England and Charry with your new doc apt? I really care about you all.

I am 8 days post op from my hysterectomy, my back surgery seems easy in comparison to this, phew its been tougher than I thought!!! Just trying to make it through each day.
My granny's funeral is on Thursday and it just makes me sad. I am still flying to England on July 15th, hoping to be feeling much better by then, I am sure I will.

I wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to say hi and hope to hear from some of you to check in with me and let me know how your all recovering.

Your spiney friend,

• I'm glad to hear you're healing after your surgery. I know that's a rough surgery to recover from. Prayers you'll be better to go to England to visit your Mom and Praying for strength to help you through this difficult time with your Grandma's passing.

I haven't heard yet when I see the Orthosurgeon so just waiting and enjoying getting outside for a few minutes a day when it's nice out. Oh my gosh you've been through so much in such a short time do take care and hope you're able to get out for a few minutes if the weather's nice. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I hope you have a speedy recovery! And can make you flight without any problem.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Glad you made it through the surgery alright and are now on the road to recovery. Your granny would be happy to know that you are taking care of you. She knows you would have been there were circumstances different. Stay the course and be there for the rest of the family.

• great to hear from you. :-)
    I hope that your gas pains in your abdomen have really improved now, and you just have the rest of the healing from both surgeries to worry about - easy!! :D (just joking!)

I am continuing to do well, although I hurt myself on Sunday, when I tried to sit on a small roundabout with my granddaughter! What was I thinking?!!
    I thought that just sitting with her would be fine.
    Didn't consider the forces that would cause me to have to really tense all my muscles to stop myself (and granddaughter) from falling off!

I visited my school yesterday to take my latest sick certificate and let them know that I won't be able to return to work until the new school year in September. :-( I had a coffee with them all in the staffroom at breaktime. I got a lovely welcome :-)
    It really cheered me up. :D
    I have also been invited to attend the leavers' play and farewell party which will be great as it will give me a chance to say goodbye to the kids who are moving on to secondary school. Apparently they have been asking about me :-)

How is your daughter's back now? Has it settled down?

Take care Sandra and be gentle with yourself. You want to allow as much healing as your body can manage in preparation for your journey in July to see your mum and granddad. >:D< >:D<
  • Sandra,
    You sound better. That's good.

Don't let what "they" say fool you. I had a hysterectomy and complications afterwards that caused a lot of blood loss and them having to go back in within 24 hours. I thought I was going to die. Out of my 10 surgeries the recovery from that one was by far my worse. That's including my fusion. With that said, once I got through initial recovery man was I glad I did it. (I don't know aboout you but I sure don't miss those particular parts and the complications they can cause.) LOL!!!!!

Just take the time you have now before your travel to gain your strength and prepare for your trip. It will be here before you know it.

I'm hanging in there myself. I have a second opinion for adding 2 more levels on to my fusion next week. I'm just not sure how I feel about that whole idea. It's all to much for me to swallow right now. I'm talking to my physiatrist about the first surgeons recommendation today.

It's easier to read here about others situations and not think about my own.

Take Care of YOU!

• the wonderful network of support for each other, it's awesome!!

Thank you ALL for reminding me to slow down, heal and recover and to enjoy my trip to visit my mum and grandad. I just got a letter from my grandad telling me how he was the luckiest man to have 65 years with the best wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother ever!! Yep, I cried all over again!!!

Jelly, I know it hurt but you made me giggle with the idea of you and your grandadughter falling off the roundabout, sorry!! Urgh, be careful!! LOL have fun, but remember you are not the kid, but you can be all kid inside, hee hee

Have fun at the party's and seeing the kids, your school sounds so nice. Your lucky that they all welcome and miss you, so nice. Enjoy your time with staff and students :-)

Frog - I am thinking of you today at your appointment, I know you have alot still to face with a multiple level fusion. I really hope it all goes well for you and remember we are all here for you. I know your in more pain today, I hope it has eased up at bit by now. No more storms :-)
    Let me know what advice you got today.

Jim, "C" - thank you as always for your continued support and well wishes, its truly appreciated!

Charry - Good luck to you too as you seek your second opinon and stay focused on your journey to find the right doctor to help you, never give up and know that you have lots of supporters. I have faith that the right doctor will come along, hang in there.

And lastly, I have a new question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a post-op question that can happen after any surgery where antibiotics have been administered, but due to post op difficulties that I have been having from the hysterectomy, the surgical nurse has been calling me every few days to see how I am doing and this morning she mentioned to me that she fears I have Clostridium difficle?????

She suspected this a few days ago and now wants me to be seen so that they can address this with me and find out if indeed thats whats going on. I have an appointment tomorrow, ok, have any of you heard of this, dealt with this, I have looked it up on line and phew, doesn't sound so good, just wondering what anyone here may know about it.

As always thanks!!!!
    Wishing you all a wonderful day :-)
  • C.diff is diarrhea yellow-brown and seedy and smelly frequent stools. It can be caused by taking ciproflox antibiotic that changes the bowel to produce c. diff. It can also be easily caught by other patients at the hospital using the same toilet or passed from health care workers. Many weak and elderly and immune difficient people are more at risk getting c. diff as they become dehydrated and lose precious electrolytes and can be fatal to them if not caught early.

It is easily treated with Clindamycin another antibiotic. I've looked after many people with c.diff and it is easily treatable. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• All kid inside! :D
    That's why I love working in a school!
  • thanks Charry,

I am glad to hear that if all I need is a course of antibotics then I can handle that.

I just hope they don't need any invasive tests for diagnosis, I read perhaps a colonoscopy...I have just had enough for now, you know!!!

I am a little nervous about tomorrow's follow up visit, but I'll keep you posted,

• Hey Sandra! I am so very glad to hear how you are doing! I checked briefly on the "other side" and am so glad I checked over here! :)

I did go back to work on Thur and it was a horrible, horrible day! I had intense pain that took days to get better! :(

By chance, I stopped wearing my new brace. It sat right on my abdominal incision and the bone graph site. I feel sooo much better!

So, no more brace despite the fact I was to wear it for the next 3 weeks!

I am exhausted from working, made it until about 2 today before it started getting really hard! Not quite sure how I will make it through tomorrow....

I got to see baby's and their family's today and that was awesome!

We don't have any plans this weekend, I am so thankful so I can rest and organize for the upcoming week!

The wedding was wonderful! We had such a great time! On Father's Day, they took all the kids to a water park. I stayed behind, bummer, but maybe next year!

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and they are able to figure out what to do to help you feel better!

Do, try to pamper yourself! July 15 will be here before you know it! Your grandmother feels your presence and you know she would want you to take care of yourself!

Your grandfather sounds like a delight! I bet he is so excited to see you!

Hang in there my friend and keep in touch! I think about you often and am praying for you and wishing you the best!

gentle cyber hugs! xxxxx Shari
  • Shari, your days at work sound painful, sending you gentle hugs to feel better as you make it through your days.

Seeing the babies has to be awesome, thats the neat side of your job that has to be wonderful, but the physical nature of the job seems to be alot for you right now. What would your doctor think if he knew you had to take your brace off? Is it safe for your fusion? Sorry I just don't know alot about that.

I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding, I am so happy that you got to attend and have some fun, it can't be all work and no play you know, you deserve some fun and laughter :-)

I pray you get through tomorrow without too much difficulty and you can rest and get pampered this weekend!!! You must take care of yourself too, I like the new quote I have learned on the Hyster Sisters web site "Pamper the Princess", you are the princess, you deserve it!!!

Tomorrow will be a rough day for me, just remembering my granny. Her funeral is in the morning and my mum has given me the rundown and what the minister will say. I just wish I was there. My mum is having difficulty with her chemo as her veins are collapsing, my grandad has made a little shrine for me of my granny, he is a gem!

Well take care my friend, so good to hear from you, keep checking in, and have a nice, restful weekend.

Gentle hugs to you too :)

• Thinking of you today as you have your appointment.
    Hoping that they just need to put you on these antibiotics that Charry mentioned, and that will sort it. :-)

Your family in England sounds lovely and I know that they will be really looking forward to seeing you. Sounds like they are keeping you involved in what is going on over here, which must help.

You will be at your grandma's funeral in spirit, and your family know that you will be there with them. I'll pray for you. :-)

Wishing you continued healing and I'm praying for you :-)

>:D< >:D<
  • Hi all!

Sandra ~ thanks for your sweet posting, a great way to start my day! :)

The brace that I am not wearing isn't needed for my fusion. I was in a hard brace called a TLSO~ thoracic lumbar sacral othosis, that I worn faithfully for 14 weeks. Most people who wean out of their brace need to do so slowly and use a soft brace when weaning out of the TLSO to help decrease spasms/pain.

The soft brace caused so much pain it just wasn't worth it! I really have done well without it (I still carry both with me during my work day, just in case it is needed). I got my surgeon's blessing to ditch it on Tue night! :)

I think because I started PT so early, by abs are pretty strong, but not quite a 6 pack yet! :)

I will be thinking of you today! Praying that your appointment goes well and you get the care you need to get you on your way!

I will be praying that you have comfort and peace today during your granny's memorial service! She is with you in spirit as is your family. I know how hard it is. This is the part of life that is becoming too familiar to me!

We are here for you! Someone told me recently to imagine a circle of spiney's around you to help on hold you up! We are here! gentle hugs! xxxxxx

• well I am 10 days post-op and my doctor is still concerned about the behavior of my bowels, she listened intently to my stomach, rectal exam and felt uneasy with it all.

I explained to her that I need to know I am not carrying any bacteria when I fly home to visit my mum with her weakened immune system due to her chemo, she assured me she would get full resolve for me to any of these complications, I do have complete faith in my doctor, she delivered all my children and she is wonderful.

She sent me back to the hospital for abdominal x-rays lying lat and upright and a script to get a stool sample for C diff.

She had already left me a message by the time I got home telling my that I need to get the stool sample done ASAP and that my x-ray was fine...the lab was closed when I got there this afternoon so I will go again tomorrow to get the kit. I just pray I do not have this bacteria, it sounds as bad as MRSA.

My mum and brother talked to me and said that granny's funeral was lovely. Her herse had a thistle on it (we are all scottish) and that alot of people were there and my mum got alot of support from family members, so I am happy that they all made it through the day and that my mum and grandad feel they gave my granny a beautiful send off and they did a celebration of her life with drinks and food after the service.

Thanks for all the support...you have all really helped me get through this time in my life.

Hugs to all,
  • Good your Mom is alright. I know they have results within 24 hours after the specimen is given and even more definite results in 48 hours so you should be okay and get the results soon enough. C. diff causes frequent stools at least 3 a day. Pray you're okay. Charry O:)
  • I tried to post hear a few hours ago, but lost the whole thing, and had to go and meet a friend. So I'll try again! :S

I am so glad that you enjoyed the wedding and weekend. You really needed a fun and more exciting weekend, and what better way than to have a wedding to go to. <:P

Thinking of you as you have your third day at work in a row! Hope that you manage to be comfortable on the floor with the babies. I expect it will work a bit like a physio session, and after a few of them, your muscles will submit and behave themselves. Do be careful though and look after yourself. :)))

Do you find that a spell in your pool after work helps to relax your muscles? I've not been in a pool since my surgery, and think it sounds great.

I'll try to find you tomorrow for a chat :D
  • Thinking of you today Sandra, and praying that you are getting the answers you need to get onto the wellness pathway!

I am absolutely exhausted and feel as if I haven't stopped going since Monday of last week! I have been so tired, I haven't eaten dinner for the last 3 nights. I usually enjoy a glass on wine on Thur after my workweek is over (atleast I did before surgery). Last night I didn't even have the energy to lift my head up off the pillow.

I think I did fairly well this week. What a (positive) difference not wearing the soft brace has made! I did well pain-wise until about 3 pm on my 2nd day. After that point, pain and fatigue were my constant companion and yesterday was truly difficult!

I got down on the floor several times this week. It isn't easy and it's not pretty, but it is doable... Thur., I had 2 fairly intensive therapy sessions with babies, I think I hid my pain fairly well. These families were with me before surgery, so they have watched me on this journey.

In July, I will begin seeing families that are new to me.....

I am going to try to rest all I can this weekend! I am so very tired!

Today markes the 3 month mark since my nephew made his way to heaven...been in tears through out the day...

Sandra, please let us know how you are feeling! I check frequently to see if there is an update!

Jelly, if you have time to chat this weekend, I would love to! Really, no plans all weekend other than watching the USA play in the world cup!

I hope you all are doing well! gentle hug to all!
  • oh ladies, sometimes it seems the road ahead is full of hills and we are constantly trying to catch up and feel normal again, sometimes we get so far and then feel we are going backwards.

I really feel for you Shari as you are adjusting to your life back at work, it has to be exhausting and this weekend you will need to take the time to rest and rejuvenate yourself. As the weeks go by hopefully you will find your able to last a little longer, hurt a little less and eventually go for that bottle of wine on Thursday and enjoy it!!!!

I know there will come a day when we will turn the corner and we will be feeling much better. Up until last year when I had my first back surgery, it had been 10 years since I had a surgical procedure that I had really forgotten just how much it takes out of our bodies. It has a physical, mental and emotional toll on us....but we will get through this!

Shari, I am so very sorry about the loss of your nephew. I know how tramatic this is and because he was so young. I wish I had words of wisdom and comfort that would be helpful to you. It just doesn't seem right when a young person looses their life, all I can do is let you know I am here for you, I pray that you find some peace and comfort knowing he is in heaven with the angels and is with you always. A year and a half ago my younger brother killed himself, I have struggled for answers of why? It just seems so unfair to loose a loved one so young, I have to trust that the lord knows best, he knows the ones he calls home, and we will be together again some day.

I have had a rough few days, it just has to get better than this. I am really starting to feel frustrated with the slow recovery and the seemingly endless complications!! Thursday I saw my OBGYN, she sent me to the hospital for abdominal x-rays which I believe were ok, I had to do the sample for the C Diff test, hopefully I will now the results of that on Monday or Tuesday. Yesterday was the boys family day at their boy scout camp, my DH and kids begged me to go so I did, My DH came and picked up my daughter and I (1 1/2 hour drive to camp), we walked around the HUGE campgrounds and gave me the tour, I walked slow and took breaks, then it was time for dinner and then awards and skits....long evening, and then the long drive back home. I was pretty exhausted and was getting bad pains on the way home, as soon as I stepped out of the truck I knew something was wrong, I felt a gush, I had started bleeding very heavy and passing blood clots, I started crying and was so scared. My DH and boys had to get back to camp and it was already after midnight, my youngest son was crying blaming himself because mommy hurt, it was AWFUL!!!!

In the end, I called the 24/7 nurse line that told me to go to the ER, but I called my doc and got her out of bed at 1am, I felt terrible!!! She was very calm and not concerned at all!!!! I was a mess, she told me if the bleeding didn't stop to go tothe ER but if after lying down the bleeding slowed down, I was fine, that was it and goodbye!!!! I was so upset.

I didn't go to bed until 3am, I couldn't sleep and today I have not got out of bed, the bleeding has stopped but I have alot of cramping and battling nausea all day which is yucky and my back has been KILLING me, I truly, truly just want to cry!!!!!!

However, I know this too shall pass.....phew, just got to get over this temporary bump in the road. On Tuesday I have a follow up with my spine surgeon and my OBGYN so hopefully I will have more answers and be on my road to recovery with no more complications, but lesson learned, I cannot push this, no matter what, I just can't!!!

So, Shari go get your wine, Jelly join us and lets toast to better days ahead, we have good friendships here and that sure means alot and I do feel blessed for you all here. Thank you for listening and sharing advice and support with me. Shari, please know you have the same support, prayers and hugs for you right now, your not alone on this journey, we are all right here with you and together we will make it through to better, brighter, healthier, happier days.

God Bless,
    Sandra xx
  • I turned in the sample, I am really hopeful it will be negative (can't really take any more) stools have lessned in frequency so thats a good sign, I just have alot of cramping and nausea every day, but it could just be post-op stuff..........you can read my last post as last night I had a major panic attack when I had a bout of bad bleeding after doing too much. It was quite scary.

Hoping your having a good weekend,
  • Oh Sandra, my heart breaks for you! I was so hoping that all was okay, but I was worried as I hadn't heard from you!

Bless your heart, what a horrible experience and how fightening!

Please take your time to pamper yourself, go slow and rest, rest, rest!

Hopefully the worst is over and better, sunny, painfree days are ahead!

You have so much that you are dealing with. I am praying that you will feel comfort, strength physically and emotionally and will have a complete and speedy recovery!

My heart hurt reading about your brother and I am so sorry. Grieving is hard especially when you don't understand the "why's" But, I agree, you just have to have faith.

My family always prays together holding hands before each meal. Now, at the end of each prayer, we ask God to give my nephew a hug from us.

I hope today is a better day, that you are resting and finding peace!

We are here for you! hang in there, gentle hugs!

xxxxx Shari

• I was horrified to read of your problems when you returned from the family day at camp. I can so understand that you wanted to join in and share the day. I pray that no real harm has been done and that will lots of rest, your body will soon heal again.

Please do look after yourself. :-) You need to give your body time to heal itself. You have a lot of healing to do.

I am so sorry for the pain both you and Shari have felt, of losing a close family member so young. It must be just heartbreaking. I hope you get comfort from knowing that they are safe and now free from any pain; physical or emotional. I hope that you can remember happy times with them, and that those memories will help you in your grief.

The support we get from each other on this site is just amazing. I am so glad that God lead me here. We receive much more than we can ever give back. There is nothing like being able to talk and share with people who are in the same boat and can understand what we are going through.

Here is a toast to the better days that are coming in the future. We will be changed by the experiences we have had in a positive way, and one day, we will look back and be able to share our stories to help others. (I think that we are already doing that a bit on Spine Health) We will be stronger people for it and more understanding towards people who are suffering.

Hoping that you are resting and taking good care of yourself today and over the next few weeks.

We are here for each other. :-)
    Gentle hugs Sandra (and Shari) and lots prayers for healing >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thinking of you, praying that you are on your way to recovery and hoping for the best!

Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Missing you and looking forward to reading your posts!

sending gentle cyber hugs! :)
    xxxx Shari
  • thinking of you this morning and praying that you are feeling better and that your body is healing.

Do take good care and don't overdo it.

We are here for you Sandra, to support you along the way. :-)

Very gentle hug >:D<
  • Thanks for all the support, I have been having good days and bad days and sometimes just too tired to post!! I am dealing with alot of emotional stuff too so its a roller coaster, I am going to start a new threat just to stay updated.

I wish i could just sit over a cuppa and have a chat with you all it would be so awesome. We all understand each other and I am missing that in my life too, real people who really understand.

How are things for you? How is your fusion??

Hoping your enjoying your summer,
    Love Sandra xx
  • I'm sure that your body is putting most of its energy into healing, so if you are feeling very tired, the best thing to do is rest. Then your body can 'do its stuff'.

You have been through so much in the last few months; both physically and emotionally. You need time to come to terms with it all.

I agree that it would be so great to all meet up. What we can do is to chat on here - have you got a cuppa with you?

I am doing well and seem to be feeling better each week. I do have to be careful, as sometimes I overdo it and then am sore for a while. I won't know how my spine is fusing now until next March, but will assume all is well unless I start having pain. I am eating well and walking every day, so that should help. :-)

I went to a funeral toda,y of a lovely 90 year old lady at church. It was full of hope because of her faith. We are all really going to miss her though. She was a very special lady. :-)

Keep looking after yourself Sandra. Keep resting and taking small walks. I'll pray that your healing will go full speed ahead now, to prepare you for your trip over here in July.

Gentle hugs >:D< >:D<