Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rhizotomy 1 week ago, pain is exactly the same

hatepainhhatepain Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Injections
First post her but I have been lurking a while. I had a rhizotomy T7-T10 on 6/17. I was really sore the first few hours after the procedure, but the pain from the procedure has gone away by now, but my normal pain is as bad as ever. I would have thought I would be able to tell something by now. I know people say it takes several weeks for it to kick in, but its almost like nothing even happened. Am I too early to assume that this procedure failed?

• Yes, I think it's too early to say it has failed. I think it usually takes up to 2-3 weeks for the nerves to fully die off or whatever it is they do (or at least that's what my doc told me- at this point in time after mine, I was still having increased pain).
  • Hi Hatepain. Welcome to Spine-Health. Although I haven't had a rhizotomy, I was on my way to one at one point. When the doc talked to me about it, he said that the pain would get worse before it gets better as the nerves are dying. It takes time for them to do this, like happy said, usually at least a few weeks.

Hang in there and try to be patient for a while longer. If things get really bad though, don't hesitate to call the doctor who did the procedure to get confirmation that things are progressing as they should.

• Here it is 10 days later and still no change. Will try to be patient though.
  • Hatepain

I am curious did your pain ever get better. It has been 13 days since I had mine and I was feeling a bit better last week but this week I feel like my pain is back to what it was before. Hope yours helped and mine will soon.
  • I had three rhizotomies over a two year period; two of them were my lower lumbar spine and SI joints, bilaterally, and the third was segments of my C, T and L spine. I was one of the lucky ones who had relief within hours of each rhizotomy, each one lasting longer than the previous one. I believe I still have some relief, as I don't get as many "creepy crawly" feelings through my T spine area.

I know how frustrating it is to have these treatments fail, but keep your chin up. I don't know if you've tried or considered prolotherapy, but that is another treatment I did that gave me some relief.

Take care and good luck.

• Well it has been 3 weeks and some is better. I went to my pain Dr today and he told me the first 2 weeks are the worst and most people start feeling some relief the 3rd week. He also said I may still get more relief it can take up to 6 weeks sometimes. So I go back in 3 more weeks so hopefully I will get even more relief. I don't expect complete pain relief just want to get rid of a bit more of the sharp pain that takes your breath away when it hurts so bad. I wish everyone could be pain-free including me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ive just had Facet Joint rhizotomy on L5/L4/L3/L2 last Tuesday (7 days ago). They did it all in one go, so both sides at once. The actual procedure was extremely painful (I have an anafalaxic allergy to local anesthetics and so only had sedation and morphine). However since the op Ive been in so much pain. My hips, especially my left one is so painful, I can only describe it as the bone throbs. It's keeping me awake tossing and turning all night! My scoliosis in my spine made the last left hand side catheter hard to get in; took surgeon 3 attempts to find the right nerve and my GP thinks this is what's causing the pain. It's frustrating as I didn't expect to be knocked off my feet this much and have now been signed off work for a further 2weeks!

Has anyone else had pain like this afterwards? It's reassuring to read on here that lot's of people say the first 2 weeks when the nerves actually die are the worst.