Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BarbF01BBarbF01 Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Ive had an evaul. by the head Doc of the Ortho group I go to, and he rated me at 35% disabled (after my cervical spine fusion and right leg surgeries). I now have a herniation and "issues" (I'll find out more on that Tuesday at my appt). Hubby and I have begun to discuss if I should apply for disabilty (prob. down the road). Im employed full time, but Im allowed to somewhat set my own hours now - so that helps a great deal! However, if they change the policy on me setting my own hours at work (its been hinted at), Im going to have issues on days that I wake up and have trouble even getting out of bed... Any ideas/suggestions?

• My other "issues" include a severe (according to the nurse who I spoke to earlier), and "other things going on" in the L-5 through S-1 area.
  • I have no advice, but I've decided to apply, as I haven't managed to work since my accident in 2007 and have no idea if I will again.

Actually, one bit of advice. Put this down in the "insurance issues" forum :)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    if you are working .... whether in bed or at an office .... you will most likely NOT qualify for SSD.

Their number one protocol is that you are no longer working AT ALL. Once you have been determined to be disabled ... then you can work a certant amount of work without penalty. make little sense but its the govenment ya know!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• If you claim disability when you're still capable of doing some work, you will always be considered disabled. Should you get better and have the desire to earn some good money, it's very unlikely that will happen. If your husband is gainfully employed and you can live mostly on his salary, and you really cannot get up and go to work, I'd go for it.

For me, I'm it. No one else to contribute to the pot. There are lots of mornings that I have a really hard time even getting my feet on the floor, but I go to work because I could never survive on disability. I'd lose my house, my car, probably everything I have.

I get the pain -- I know how hard it is. But take a drive to your downtown (if you happen to live in a city). Take a look at the folks in wheelchairs, bundled up and just trying to socialize with other handicapped folks there. They have virtually nothing -- they CANNOT work, no ability to make money, and their life is miserable. Hold out as long as you can at putting yourself in their place.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • It seems incomprehensible that the government would grant someone disability but withhold the means to take care of yourself.

Spam link not allowed. Removed by authority member, Cath111. 6/26/2010
  • I was taken out of work on Nov. 18, 2008 with my back injury. I had ADR and fusion May 2009 and applied for SSDI Aug. 2009 and was quickly denied because of my prognosis, age and educational background. My lawyer requested a hearing and am still waiting for a decision. I am 13 mnths out of surgery and my doc recently rated me 100% TD so will see what becomes of this. I dont believe you can apply if your working full time and will have to wait until hours are cut because of your disability but I could be wrong.It takes a long time and I suggest you get a lawyer because theres a lot of paperwork and they deny so many of us on the first application.

I get very frustrated because I know others who recieve SSDI due to depression. Now Im not saying that all people with depression dont deserve it just the few I know who could be working the system. I can barely walk most days and cannot sit for more than a hr without legs going numb and yet they still deny me because I am only 40 and have 2 college degrees so they feel I should be able to do something.

This Pees me right off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BarbF01 said:

...Big snip....
    Im employed full time, but Im allowed to somewhat set my own hours now - so that helps a great deal! However, if they change the policy on me setting my own hours at work (its been hinted at), Im going to have issues on days that I wake up and have trouble even getting out of bed... Any ideas/suggestions?
    Barb, not sure if your place of employment will allow it, but might be worth checking in to. My work has authorized "intermittent FMLA" after reading my Dr's recommendation and notes on the FMLA notification process at my work place. I am allowed 3 days per month if I need them. Anything more requires something from the Dr. This covers altering my work schedule if needed, along with those days I just can not move.

I have no problem with this, and the protection under FMLA is a nice bonus. Might be worth looking in to if you are not ready to leave the workplace yet.

Best of luck,

View my history for all the gory details.
This discussion has been closed.