Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back support in car/ office

myneckandbackmmyneckandback Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am looking for something to support my back in the car for long drives. Does anyone use anything helpful?

I am also looking for some office chair desk support for the lumbar area.

I am just getting too much pain sitting, even though my main injury is cervical.

• Have you seen a commercial for a pillow called the Total Pillow? I saw them for sale in Walgreens. They show they can be shaped for different areas and thickness. I am going to try one. I can always post my results. I am going to require good lumbar support since I will be returning to work soon and have a pretty lengthy commute.

Good Luck with your search!!
  • I am an L-spiney, so I've tried all sorts of crazy lumbar support pillows. My absolute favorite is actually the least fancy and the cheapest: A memory foam lumbar support I got at Walgreens. Memory foam just works well for me because it is firm enough to support, but soft enough that it doesn't push my back into unnatural positions.

The "McKenzie" line of lumbar supports are popular at back stores, but for me I find even the smallest ones are too big. These are incredibly firm supports, and you either love them or hate them.

Another popular lumbar support is the bucky baxter lumbar support- it's filled with buckwheat so you can adjust the amount of support. I've never tried it, but have heard from others on the site that like this one.

Finally, sometimes just an old-fashioned rolled up towel can work wonders.

One tip my PT gave me for riding in the car is that sometimes whatever pillow you use for support might be more comfortable if you place it a little higher than where you think you need it. It's a little weird at first, but I have actually found that on long drives it helps to start with it higher, and then I can move it down to give my back a change in position halfway through. Bucket seats tend to round out the back, so I usually start with my support in the lower thoracic area so the support falls just under the tips of my shoulder blades. This leaves my L-spine less supported and free to find a natural position rather than being forced one way or the other by the cushion.
  • something as simple as a rolled up towel or a purpose made memory foam device .have a look on tempurs website ..then shop around to see if you can get it any cheaper ..i just bought a millennium queen pillow {x large} tempur wanted 100 pounds } a company called my tempur wanted HALF that and i get the vat back too! so shop around ..

• I have a spina-bac support which I use all over the place. I have even used it to be able to sit in a soft chair, which was impossible without it. It means I can relax instead of sitting upright in a dining type chair.

I use it in the car and also take it to church with me. I do have various other lumbar support cushions too.

It is adjustable to how tall you are and where you need it shaped.
    Google the name and you will find information on it. :-)
This discussion has been closed.