Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ab exercises after 360

doug260ddoug260 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. Just wondering if anyone had any experience in this area. Slowly getting back into working out but would like to do some kind of abs. Not like I was an ab model for Abercrombie or anything but I would like to do something. Physical therapist told me that crunches are out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

• What about the pilates plank exercise? It works all the core muscles and doesn't but a strain on the back. Check with your PT to be sure you are ready for such an agressive exercise.

I have been doing a lot of ab work where I lay on the mat/floor etc and isolate my abs, holding them contracted and engaged as I do leg exercises.

It works well!

There are a ton of ab exercises you can do with the swiss ball.

The Bosu is also an awesome piece of equipment that works the entire core/ legs and runs about $100.00 but is well worth it!

Hope this is helpful! Good luck!
  • the cross trainer in any gym is very good for the abs and wont put a strain on your back like conventional ab machine will
    STRAKER {waiting for 360 fusion}
  • i like using the exercise ball... :D you can use it watching tv or on the computor.. it works your core and the abs.. there are exercises on SH about the exercise ball and ways to use it correctly.. of course your doctor or pt knows best!! Jenny :)
  • I thought I had a good reason not to do those exercizes!! You guys ruin everything!! lmao
  • Hi Jenny

I had 360 bi level with hardware and decompression. The only thing I have been doing is walking but I am only up to 3/4 of a mile.

I need to get ready and strengthen my core area too. Thought about using the ball. It has been one month since my surgery. I am doing well praise God. But it is difficult seating longer than 30 or 40 minutes. That's all I do at work and want to be as prepared as possible. I figure going back to work the 2nd week of February. This would give me 2 months and two weeks. I am using the bone stimulator. Also go back on Feb 28 for a cat scan then see the nuero surgeon. Then he said I could start water therapy.

I feel like I am waisting time yet I am still in pain. Not from surgery areas but to the right or left of the surgery on my back. I just wish I could start some type of therapy. I need to fly out to South Texas on the 19th guess I need to check with the doctor since it is two hours. Also wanted to drive and see my grandbaby before i get back to work but it is 6 hours. I would need to stop and walk every 40 minutes.

I need to go back to work but dont want to rush this.

Any comments are truly appreciated!
  • Trust me it is not because we want to. I was blessed to have my brother finally come and take care of me. At first he was sympathatic and now I am ready to send him back. He has lost 12 pounds from walking and I probably gain them.

He yanks and pulls my covers one by one stating your not in the hospital any more, I am going to leave....which I am hollaring back good .....he means well but we have over done it around the house, washing, drying, then getting the gifts ready.

Everyone hated that I was 2 or 3 hours late to the party they went home. They dont realize what we are going thru and how much it takes to just sort and move things with the grabber.

lots of hugs besides it must be so cold
  • Everyone is different...remember that. But, I had strange pains (pretty severe)for quite some time after surgery. Be very careful with any exercises you do and make sure your PT or surgeon is in agreement with what you want to do.

I'm right at 4 years post op and still have different pains from time to time. My PT folks were wonderful about telling me what I could or could not do. If you've never tried aqua therapy, I highly recommend it!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2