Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Pump Implant

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Management
Hello Everyone......
It has been several months since I have posted because I have had nothing to post. For the past several months I have been waiting for my pain pump trial and implant.
I finally had my implant on the 18th of June! And I must say I am thrilled with my pain pump! For the first time in the past several years I am free of the savage pain I suffered with in my low back and feet and legs.
These things are nothing short of amazing. The pump is about the size of a hocky puck and is in my left side between my rib cage and hip bone. A Catheter runs to my spine where a constant flow of diladuid drips into my spine bathing the nerves with pain meds.It is a very tiny amount of pain meds that is delivered in a 24 hour period.(0.500mg/day) When it's time for a refill I will recieve a letter from Hospital telling me when to come in and the pump also has an alarm that will sound when the meds are getting low....it will beep.
I was in Hospital 3 days which is unusual but I did not want to wake up after the surgery. I had to spend one and half days in ICU while they tried to wake me. I guess I needed the sleep.
I did have some surgery pain the first few days but am now off all oral pain meds unless I am on my feet to long. I do have some pain when I walk very long but I will get an increase in my pain meds in 5 weeks that should take care of that little pain.
I am sure everyone on here who is suffering or has suffered chronic pain will understand how very happy I now am. It has been a roller coaster ride trying to get my savage pain treated and it was never properly treated until now.
I am going to have my life back!! I still have 5 weeks restrictions and must wear this hot binder but they will pass quickly now that I am pain free.
Once everything is scared in and I am fully recovered from the surgery I will be a new, pain free woman. I have an excellent Neurosurgeon who is taking very good care of me. I am so thankfull of this.
I do hope everyone here finds relief from their pain as I have. There is help out there but it does take time to find it. Do not give up.....I did not although at times it felt hopeless. I had to wait about 8 months to see this Neurosurgeon but once I did get in to see hem he acted quickly to get my pain pump implanted and now I am pain free at last!!(Except for the small amount of pain when I am on my feet to long)
Sorry for the long post.
Best to all

Patsy W :H

• It's so nice to hear that a Spine-Health member has had a breakthrough in combating their pain - good for you, Pat! I hope it continues to work for you.

I must admit, I have been thinking about a pain pump a lot recently. It seems a very attractive proposition at the moment.
  • I'm so happy for you to finally have pain relief for real, after the difficult times you went through. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Patsy,

Excellent news for sure!!! I've read a lot of your posts with the ups and downs. This I think we all can say is a Major UP finally! Congrats woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yay! Congrats. I'm so glad to hear you've finally found something that gives you so much relief :)
  • Thank you so much. Words just can't discribe how happy I am with my pain pump. At long last I am free of the savage pain I have suffered with for so long. I am still recovering and must wear a hot binder until I am scared in good. No bending, twisting or reaching.
    I am now off all oraal pain meds!! I do have some pain if I am on my feet to long but lets face it....I am still recovering and can't do a lot of walking.LOL My Neurosurgeon will increase my dosage in 5 weeks and that should take care of that pain. This pain is nothing like I use to have. I can live with it 5 more weeks.
    I am sure all of you understand how very happy I am.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I'm so happy for you. It's gonna be weird though, if you start beeping in a quiet place. People are going to look at you like "shut it off lady", and you won't be able to! Please take it slow and don't overdo things to quickly. Good Luck,
  • That would be weird but each time I go in to have my pain meds upped a computer reads my pain pump and tells me down to the hour I will need a refill and the Hospital will write me when it's time to come in.
    Chances are slim to none that it will ever go off but if it should I will have time to get to Hospital for a refill.
    These things are amazing! I feel very safe with my pump and my wonderful Neurosurgeon.
    The most wonderful thing is.....I have no pain!! I have my life back again! Life is good.
    Patsy W
  • Congrats on your new life.....you must feel like you've been reborn. Enjoy! :-)
  • I am so happy to hear you are doing so well. For so long your posts were filled with such awful pain on a day-to-day basis.

Its so great for all of us to hear the success stories, even when it takes so long to get to that part. You are an incredibly strong lady and have suffered for so long,......woo hoo, so so happy for you!!

Here's to happy times for all of us,

• =D> :D =D>

Oh, Patsy, so VERY happy for you! Only chronic pain sufferers can truly appreciate all life has to offer when you're NOT in pain.

I don't know if Pepper will be able to keep up with you -- poor little dog! (LOL!)

Hugs around!

• Thank you my dear friends. Words can't discribe how very happy I am now. This change in my life is wonderful!!
    I still have some pain when I am walking but it is NOTHING like the savage pain I use to have. Once in a while I will take oral pain meds for it but it is something I can tolerate most of the time. In 4 more weeks the Neurosurgeon will up my dosage in the pump and that should take care of what small amount of pain I still have.
    How I wish everyone could get pain relief as I have.
    If a Doctor suggests a pain pump for someones pain I suggest you go for it. All you have to loose is your pain. I would also recommend an excellent Neurosurgeon who has plenty of experiance in implanting pain pumps such as I have.
    Just as with any surgery it does come with risks but the chances of anything going wrong are very low and the benefits far out weigh the risks.
    I had a 3 day trial first in Hospital where I was given one shot of Diladuid once a day directly into my spine. I was able to get up and walk around so I could tell just how much the meds was helping. I could not wait to go forward with the permanent implant. The relief I had was wonderful.
    How I hope everyone finds pain relief as I have.
    It is wonderful to have my life back!!
    I would also like to add that if you can't take Morphine they will use Diladuid instead.
    There is also a wonderful Yahoo group called Pumpsters that you can join and learn all there is to know about Pain Pumps. For anyone considering a Pain Pump implant I also suggest you join this group and ask any questions you have about them.
    Patsy W