Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion,laminectomy and decompression surgery is over and so far, so good!

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby is finished the fusion and is walking to the bathroom by himself already. Wow, what a relief! He is walking straighter and has little of the pre-op pain. Of course, he is still on pain pills and we are still in the hospital but he is so much better already. I know it will be more difficult when we go home and I may be singing a different tune, but, for now, things are going well.

• Please keep updating us. I leave for Florida tomorrow morning and my son's surgery is next Friday so I'll be checking for your updates.

Was your husband terrified to have it done or was he calm? My son is absolutely terrified and he's not afraid of much!

How long has your husband had back problems. My son is 38 and has had it for about 6 years. It just got steadily worse after a couple of minor accidents and a bad fall.

Will keep my fingers crossed that your husband will continue to feel better every day. I'm sure he will be happy to go home.

Don't forget to take care of yourself!

Peggy x
  • so glad he's doing good..just make him go slow even if he wants to do more n more the pain meds often let us do more...
    so glad and wish him speedy recovery
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Have your son ask the doctor for something to calm him. Xanax is a common one. It just soothes your anxiety.

Good luck with your trip
  • That is fantastic. Make sure he takes it easy. The meds can make you think you are superman and then you can cause damage. Scare him if necessary!

He should be fine coming home. But remember that at some point the pain killers that they put inside the incision will wear off and he will feel more pain for a day or so. This can happen any where from 1-3 weeks.

I'm sure you are so relieved. Wish him the best for me.
  • That's excellent news! Thanks for the update and I hope the transition from hospital to home is an easy one.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Great to hear your husband is doing so well,so soon. Hoping he takes his recovery slowly and not overdo it when he comes home, easy to do when he is feeling a bit better.
    Wishing him a good recovery.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • So happy to hear that all is going well!

Wishing you both the best in the days to come. Encourage him to rest and walk and walk and rest.

Be good to your self too. This is a very long process. I am 4 months post and still amazed at how long it is, 16 weeks out of atleast 52 weeks, but I am getting there.

Take care, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • This is sounding soooo good! Congrats on your hubby's arrival 'on this side'...:) Like Kris said, make sure he doesn't think all is well and he is superman! Baby him, but keep him reminded what got him where he is! I hope his recovery goes excellent! Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Sounds like your husband is doing very well.
    He will probably have a few hiccups along the way, but hopefully he'll keep up the good progress.
    You must be soooo relieved. :-)

Once you get home, with everything well placed to help him, his recovery journey should continue well. You make sure that you look after yourself too.

Try to get him to stick to the rules and get plenty of rest and frequent short walks. :-)

His road to recovery is started and hopefully won't be too bumpy! :D

Please do keep us informed as to how things are going. We are here to encourage and help all we can. :-)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see he has come through the surgery and is headed down the road to recovery! It won't be easy but the future holds less pain I hope!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos