Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI All...
Well, I think I've decided on the L-5 fusion as opposed to that implant elec.device. I'm looking at Sept to have it done as I dont wanna b layed up for the hot summer. i'm buggin out because people r telling me different things regarding recoup duration. The Dr. Had told me 3-6 weeks,depending. I'll have to go into a re-hab cuz I live alone...nobody to help me.I'm Pis**d because as I've written.. in April 09 I had a Micro'd and was doing fairly well. I fell in Jan 10 on ice outside my building slamming down hard on my back. The surgeon says this is whats caused this re-herniation and now he thinks i"m a good candidate for fusion. I already have a 3 level ACDF,,and now this !I Hope I survive this surgery...he says its about 4 hrs to complete. I have to quit smoking cigs soon as I need 4 weeks nicotien free before he'll operate.....any advice, i dont know really what to do this, but i can barely walk anymore and there is no way I can get thru the day without narcotics

• Making the decision is the hardest part and the wait can feel lengthy.

Try to use your time to get everything ready, especially since you live alone. After surgery you won't be able to bend over to pick something up, twist at the waist or lift anything.

So you may want to move thing to counter height, buy or prepare simple meals, invest in a reacher or two to help pick up things off the floor.

I am guessing that when your surgeon says 3-6 weeks, he is referring to the amount of time for the insicions to heal.

Recovery froma spinal fusion is very lengthy, 12 months atleast. Especially if you are deconditioned before surgery.

I am 4 months post op and just now returning to work. Not because I am ready, but because my FMLA is out. It hasn't been easy.

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 4 months, starting 2 weeks afte my surgery.

Wishing you the very best and we are here to support you thru this!
  • Jayhawk..
    Thanks for that info. I dont why he said that duration,as even I would think much longer. Since I do live alone and have nobody to assist me, he mentioned placing me in a rehabilitation center. Another thing thats bothers me is when he was talking about P/T after surgery,he mentioned hand therapy. I asked him why but couldnt get a straight answer outta him. He just said thats part of the therapy. Does it affect one's hand usage?
  • Boy, you have got me there! I can't think of a reason that you would have hand therapy after having a lumbar fusion....the only thing I can think of is that hand therapy is usually done by an Occupational Therapist (O.T.).

OT's are part of inpatient rehabilitation. As a lumbar fusion patient in rehab, you would have OT to help with strengthening/endurance, learning to be independent daily activies while not bending/twisting/lifting.

Things like getting into or out of a car, getting dressed without BLT's, doing laundry without bending, those sorts of things.

That is my best guess (ironically, I am a therapist :))

Hang in there!
  • I'm guessing it might have to do with insurance to cover the rehab. The doctor may need to order PT and OT to justify you being there.

Just a thought.

• I am just wondering if he meant 3-6 months for length of recovery time. That is a time scale often quoted in things I've read. My own surgeon told me 3 months to recover (but another doctor said that was underestimating and she would say 6 months.)

As for the hand therapy (don't know what that is), I wonder if he meant massage on your muscles. :-)
    (Doing therapy on you with the PT's hands!! Lol!)

If you find out, do let us know. :D
  • I dont think he meant that,but that would work for me..lol..yes, once i do find out, i'll let you all know.