Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5mos. out and setback!! frustration

raygirlrraygirl Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Well, I am five mos. out and doing well most of the time.
I had a really busy weekend which included some "amorous time" for lack of a better description last weekend(7 days ago) and my back has felt bad all week. Lots of swelling and spasms. I guess I am wondering if others have this frustration. Usually when I have a bad day or so -I get a couple nites of good rest and I feel rejuvenated and continue
with walking and my exercises. This time it has lasted several days. I have been icing this weekend and being more careful. I am only taking skeletin but it is tempting to take
something else. Help - are others having this kinds of setbacks. ?? You guys on this site are so helpful.

• So sorry that you are having a setback in your recovery. I think it is quite common to 'do something' :X >:D< ;) that sets you back in your healing.

I hurt myself last weekend playing on a roundabout with my granddaughter! I have been rather sore all week, and have found that my back is much more sensitive to me trying to do things. I have needed to rest more.

I think icing is a good idea. I do hope that you will get back on track in your recovery very soon. :-)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I understand the "do activity and pay for it later" phenomenon. I won't let hubby near me and he totally understands. There's no way with my neck/back pain that I could handle that and the next day aftermath :-) Hopefully that will subside.

I am just about 5 months out and some days it's just really bad, I did quite a few medical appointments and lunches with friends this week and I paid for it. Then we go up north to our RV (2 hr car ride) and on Friday I nearly said "no, I'm staying home" and I should have. I was not doing well with pain Friday and the 2 hour car drive didn't help. Thank goodness I stay up here all week and hubby left today to go home to work. I could not get back in the car today unless there were some IV meds available :-) That being said I've had a whole host of spine problems and am now possibly facing another neck surgery so don't let my level of discomfort scare you, I think I was put on this earth to make orthopedic surgeons rich ;-)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hey. Sorry to hear that you are suffering but, as others have said, you are not alone. I thought that once the good days started to run together into a good week/fortnight then the worse was over but I am sorry to say that isn't the case for me! I am 8 months and a bit out and have had the most awful month. I even had to call in sick last week. But my surgeon thinks it's nothing to worry about and is "just" muscles!
    I am not even too sure what I did except for the fact that I felt a bit bad for a while and kept going. Maybe if I had called in sick for just one day earlier on I might not have spent the last week housebound again!
    So, yes, the bad days/weeks still happen. Seems they weren't lying when they said it was a looong recovery.
  • Hi Raygirl! Set backs are way too common to me and I don't like it!

I am sorry you are in so much pain! Consider keeping a pain log. I did as a pain management/justification for pain meds type of thing, but proved to be very beneficial when I saw my surgeon.

He was able to use my documentation to justify an MRI and didn't hesitate to do so based on what I told him.

I understand what you mean by pain the next day(s) after "bonding". The last time I hurt so bad it hurt to breathe, little alone move and now my DH is afraid to touch me :(

Hang in there! Try not to get discouraged and vent to us, we are here for you!

Wishing you the best, let us know how it is going!