Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody else experience this pain??

motherof2mmotherof2 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 10 mos. out from surgery, had a discetomy, at L5,with fusion and hardware put in. I have done great!!! Never regretted the surgery - but within the last month I have had some pain issues....been very weird. I have pain in my lower back, after I have bent over and when I raise back up....no pain while i am bent over. The pain starts when I am raising back up. For instance, I bent over, at the wait, to pick something up, or I bend over the bathtub to give my kids a bath. No pain while I am bent over, its when I raise back up. Then it slowly goes away once I am straightened back up. Very weird, its like a burning, twinging kind of pain. Sometimes, it will linger around, burning feeling, nothing I cant tolerate, but just hate that I am having any pain. I am scheduled to see Dr. in couple of weeks, but I have noticed its getting worse and happening more often. Just curious if anyone else has had this!!?? THanks.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'd take it easy for a few days, avoid the movements that are causing the pain but make sure to write down exactly what it feels like, when it happens, etc. It could be something as simple as scar tissue that is being "manipulated" by moving around. Every incision causes scar tissue (adhesions)and sometimes along the way eventually we break those apart by our movements.

Keep in mind with a part of your spine being fused you want to be careful how you do all activities. You want to maintain proper body mechanics even when over the bathtub with your kids. It can be tempting to hunch over and that puts stress on the level above the fusion, and you want to keep that level above as healthy as possible. If you have trouble with this maybe 1-2 visits with a physical therapist where you can show them the movement you need to make (over a tub) and they can show you how to do so in the best spine way.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Does it happen when you are standing upright and bend backwards? If that causes it, it could be the facets which can cause quite a bit of pain.

I agree, once you have a fusion, you want to be so very careful of your body mechanics to avoid the pressure put on the level above your fusion.

At 16 weeks post, I have already herniated the level above! I am horrified by that, I have been so very careful! I know exactly when it happened, and it was under the supervision of PT, but doing exactly "textbook" exercises that shouldn't have caused it.

The thing about the spine is, there is no going back! Wishing you the very best and let us know how you are doing!
  • Hi Mom of 2,

I also experience the type of pain you described. Our backs are under terrible conditions, especially with young kids. Thankfully my kids are now at the point of being able to do many things for themselves (5 & 8). Those early years with kids are absolutely horrendous for back problems.

If you can, ask for help with the awkward bending and lifting when others are with you. Try to be aware of your body alignment, (not always easy to do). Wish I had more to help you.