Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bow shaped Legs / back pain . . . anything I can do?

coyfishccoyfish Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
So I have dealt with chronic stress fracture type injuries due to lots of running in HS / early college. I had a scholarship to play soccer but I was unable because of these injuries. I guess as I got older I lost some of that flexibility that allowed me to avoid pain. I tried different foot strikes, different shoes, custom insoles, etc etc.

Anyway basically the problem is my legs turn inward slightly. I am in medical school and I really appreciate how amazing the human body is. Due to this slight malformation I blame all of these little pains that I have. It creates unequal stress on my hips, lower back, legs, and feet. I have lower back pain that is not debilitating but shouldn't exist for someone my age. Im 22 years old and very athletic / weight lifts. I am 5"10, 168 lbs, 8% BF so I am no meathead either. A healthy size for my bodytype.

I am just wondering if there is anything I can do. Last week I lifted heavy on my leg day. I did heavier squats / deadlifts which I really tend to avoid given my situation. Proper form a priority for me. For the past few days my back has been hurting more than usual and just leaning forward in my chair hurts me. Like I said its not debilitating by any means (i played tennis yesterday) but I am wondering if anyone has advise to steps I can take to alleviate the problem.

• Two of my brothers had this problem and it was corrected over time with skating (roller not in-line or ice) and dance. A chiropractor was able to help them and make recommendations for non-surgical correction. Of course it all depends on which part of your legs are twisted inward. Have you consulted with your doctor on this issue or been evaluated for it?

Welcome to Spine Health.

• I would recommend getting in for just a couple sessions with a PT to go over basic biomechanics. That probably sounds like overkill, but a good PT may be able to recommend postural and biomechanical changes, as well as identify muscle imbalances that may be contributing to the unequal stress you feel...From a personal perspective, my legs are slightly bowed at the knees (nothing severe and it never caused pain before my back injury), but with my spine PT they have had to do some work on my legs because the muscles tend to pull unevenly and be imbalanced which sometimes causes knee pain (ie- with my hammys I'm dominant in the biceps femoris over the semitendinosus and semimembranosus, so my knees/hips/backs have benefited from releasing trigger points in the lateral hammy and strengthening the medial hammys).

If there is a spine PT place close to you this would be ideal because they should be very familiar with how leg and hip biomechanics impact the spine. It might also be good to go ahead and do some PT now since it might prevent an injury or prevent the progression of your pain.
  • thanks for the posts guys. I saw a PT when I stress fractured my tibia back in high school. I let it heal and I worked on strengthening the muscles / ligaments around my knee / leg / ankle. When I started running again the pain came right back. It is simply a result of my body structure which unfortunately won't naturally change.

I guess the only proactive step I can really take is to see a PT again but I doubt they will be able to help me much. I work out a lot so its definitely not a lack of strength in any muscle group.

I think one thing I should do is take a lower body Xray.
This discussion has been closed.