Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise For Pain

dustygalddustygal Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Management
Good Afternoon All~
After sitting basically for 2 years ( third surgery this past Sept)and hurting as badly as I did to start with, I decided to become pro-active in doing something to help..I guess I became angry at the idea that (at my age) I had nothing to look forward to but a life full of pain...that I finally got up and decided to try and find a way to help. I discovered water aeroebics (sp) and started last week. The first time my back locked up in the water and I didn't think I could get out of the pool. I had only been in there for 30 minutes of the hour class and although I couldn't do everything everyone else was doing I felt good just to be there. Well...that was a week ago today-today, I was there the whole hour without any problems...I am so excited and hopeful for the first time in years! Although the pain is excruciating I decided that if I was going to hurt it was going to be for a reason. I am taking it slow and only doing what I am capible of doing..but, I am doing!

• Excellent, glad to hear the pool is working for you! I put a pool in about a month ago as the nearest 'water therapy' for me (sounds odd given I live in South FLORIDA!!) is over an hours drive away! I've lost 18 pounds, feel better cardio wise, and my spine gets what pills can't do - a pain break!!! :)

Your reason for exercising...anger at that pain and future prospects of the same - excellent motivator right there! Sorry it had to get that bad, but glad that now you are starting to reap the benefits! Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So happy that you found aquatics! It feels so good to be weightless in the water, giving your spine a chance to decompress and actually be painfree for a period of time!

The wonderful thing about being in the water is you can make it more challenging or take it at your pace depending on how you feel at the time!

I am a huge fan of aquatics and glad you took the time to post as others may cosider it and wouldn't have if you hadn't posted!

Wishing you the best and let us know how it is doing! Go get'em girl! :)