Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery #2

dapopo315ddapopo315 Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well everyone I had my hardware removed from my L4-5 this afternoon. It was supposed to be done on an outpatient basis but the doctor decided to have me stay at the last minute. Because of the problems I had after my fusion he just wanted to be on the safe side.

I got to keep my hardware & it's pretty scary lookin at how HUGE it actually is.

I'm hurting REALLY bad right now but it is a totally different hurt than after my fusion. Mostly muscle & incision pain but it's bein controlled pretty good with the pain medication. Should be going home tomorow afternoon to finish the healing process.

According to the dr I am 100% fused. He did a lot of exploring while he was in there so he says I'll be VERY brused so not to be suprised. I'm gonna try to get some sleep. Talk at you all later

wait I wanna post some pictures if someone can tell me how that would be great


  • Dapopo,

    Wow, you're typing is very lucid, so it sounds like you came out of this so far very good! I might have a revision on my neck, so I will get my hardware back if that happens!

    Just rest and recover. Positive energy heading your way!! Please keep us posted, okay? Support HUG!!!

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Look in the FAQ section at the top of the page and you will find the link on how to post a pic. Good to hear all went well. Now on with the healing.

  • Your surgery was later than I thought.

    Great to hear that all went well and that you will be going home soon. Do you have someone to help you at home?

    What good news that you are 100% fused! <:P
    That news is always so reassuring for us fusion spineys.

    That hardware is like diamonds!!! :D
    I found out that mine cost £6000. Just for a few metal screws and rods and a plastic cage! What colour are they? There was a discussion here some time ago about the colour of the screws. I think colour denotes the size.

    Pictures would be interesting :D

    Wishing you well on your recovery journey. Hope that there aren't too many bumps along the way and that the road isn't too long.
    We are here to cheer you on along the way.
    Do let us know how you are doing. :D
  • Please do share how you feel and recover from the hardware being removed. What was the reason for removing your hardware? Mine will be removed soon to see if it improves the constant 24/7 back pain I have.

    Best wishes,

  • I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well and you are recovering. I always think it's wise not to "rush a patient home" after back surgery.

    I agree with your doctor, better safe than sorry. This way it's less pressure on your family to worry too. I know you won't get much sleep but at least you'll have all the support you need.

  • I am getting ready for the 1 hour car ride to my buddies house to start the next step in my recovery.

    Just a FYI, my earlier post was being typed by my best friend. I tried typing it myself, but it wasn't going very well . . . . Way too much happy juice in my system =))

    Had trouble sleeping last night & I've come to the conclusion that you really don't get rest while you are in the hospital. Way to many noises & interruptions. So, I'm looking forward to getting some sleep. I'm being sent home with some Percoset 5/325 & some 800mg Ibuprofin. In the hospital I was taking 10/325 & up to 8mg of Morphine an hour.

    After a successful hardware block the doctor thought that by removing the hardware it would help with some of the pain I was still experiencing. I'm just very surprised that I'm fully fused in just a little over 8 months. Always thought it took longer.

    I'm gonna mess around & try to get some pictures posted :O
  • Rest? In a hospital? Hehehee! I had major abdominal surgery in '02' and I kid you not, they woke me every hour on the hour to check my vitals! I could see if I had a concussion, but sheesh...I need to be awake to see if I have a pulse! (G)

    Glad to see you're on the way home, and too you have a buddy that will be there to help. Looking forward to the pictures! Get some sleep!! :)

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would love to find a way to sell my hardware collection for what it cost. That would be a huge help to my financial situation. I hope everything continues to go well for you.
  • Hello to everyone, it's been 11 days since my surgery. So far, I think most of the pain I'm feeling is muscle pain. Seems that whatever I do is painful, it seems that the only time I'm pain free is when I'm in my recliner or layin in bed. But I'm staying positive that this will be the last thing in my way so soon I'll be able to go back to work.

    Had a minor set back the other day. I noticed A LOT of swelling on & around my incision site. It felt like I had a half of a small watermelon stuck across my back. Anytime something would touch my skit it would almost have me in tears. I called the doctor's office & said I had Seroma.

    I was told over time the fluid should reabsorb back into my body. I just have to keep an eye on the swelling. Need to make sure I don't "spring a leak". hee hee!!! Anyone had problems with Seroma? How long did it take to reabsorb? Or any other info would be greatly appreciated.

    I go back for my 2 week follow-up next Thursday. I'll keep you all posted. Take care!!!
  • Haven't had back surgery yet, but did have major abdominal. I had some of that about 10 or 12 days after my surgery - it seeped a little, but cleared up. Hopefully you will find the same result, just keep an eye on it. The other difference for mine over yours, is mine was in the front, so no constant pressure on it - that might have kept mine small?

    It sounds like you are doing pretty good over all. Glad to hear it. Please keep us posted. *hug*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

  • Hi dapopo,

    I bet you are glad to be home again now. Hopefully, your recovery will continue well and the seroma will gradually reabsorb.
    I had an area of incredibly sensitive skin after my PLIF surgery. It was on my buttock, away from the incision. I think it was from disturbed nerves. Anything touching my skin there really hurt. Now at 16 weeks, it is gone.

    I hope that you will soon be saying that you are glad that you had the surgery. :-)

    I am so relieved that I did! I am feeling so much better. People keep telling me I look so well, younger! and that my eyes are bright again after a long while of looking in pain all the time. And I thought I was hiding it well!! ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.