Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

concerened about fusion

jade10025jjade10025 Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I has S1, L5 and L4 fused on Wednesday the 23rd. I came home Sunday. I have very little appetite. And I get quite nauseous at the thought of eating. I have little pain, for which i am grateful, but also concerning.
Tonight though i woke up about to pee my bed. Thankfully i made it to the toilet. AS quickly as i threw my brace on, grabbed my walker and booked it to the potty I'm surprised there was no pain.
When i went to the bathroom, there was a little blood when i wiped.
Has this happened to anyone else? Should i be concerned?
I also had a headache yesterday. don't know if is related or not.

thanks for any feedback

• Welcome to Spine Health :H

I think that the small appetite, and feeling nauseous after fusion surgery is very common. I think that the anaesthetic and pain meds can cause it. It also very often causes constipation! :OO

What medication are you on? It sounds like it is controlling your pain well, which is very good. :D

I wonder if the pain meds are causing you to sleep heavily, which was why when you woke, you needed to rush to the bathroom.

As for the blood - could it be menstrual bleeding? I know that anaesthetic can affect hormone levels.

If you are concerned, do phone your surgeon for reassurance. Especially as you are so early in your recovery.

I wish you well in your recovery :-)
    Do take things slowly and follow the rules.
    This is a long journey. Do keep talking to us. :H

The emotional support we all get from each other here, is great. It is wonderful to know that we are not alone. :D
  • bring half asleep when i wrote the above post i wish to edit it too make my concern more clear. but i cannot find how to edit the stupid post.

My main concerned though is:

Is it normal to have little pain and little appetite less than a week after surgery?

Is frequent and urgent urination something i should be concerned about?

• Thank you for the welcome. i'm gonna need a good support group. Spine surgery sucks for a active person. And its already stressful having my parents take care of me. Its not even been a week. Hopefully I can go back to my place in the next week.

• Jade,

If you look at the bottom right corner of the box where your post is, there are boxes: edit, reply and quote. Click on the edit box and you can edit that post.

You are ever so early in your recovery. Things will improve and you will get back to being able to live independently again. Meanwhile, enjoy having someone to help you. I was so grateful for the help and care that my husband gave me. :-)

You are young, and that will be in your favour to help with the healing and recovery.

Were you given a phone number to call when you left hospital? Do call and ask them if you are worried. It will help to deal with concerns to talk to a medically trained person. I especially would ask about the urgent urination. Sometimes nerves can get disturbed.

Take good care :D
  • After my fusion, it took several weeks for me to regain my appetite. At first I was worried too! Even now, there are days that I just don't get hungry and have to force myself to eat a bit.

Your body has been through a massive surgery/assult and because of that it is common to have changes to your menstral cycle.

Hang in there! This recovery is long but we are here to support you along the way!

During your surgery, the surgeon will give numbing medication to help with immediate pain. After a week or 2 you may have some pai, which is typical too!

Take care and wishing you the best!
  • The pain meds, anesthetic, etc. can have an affect on your appetite. Anesthesia slows down your digestive system so it takes a bit for it to get back to normal. And, as mentioned already, pain meds can have nausea as a side effect. If it becomes too much for you, you could ask your surgeon for a medication change. As far as your urinary symptoms, they do place a catheter in your bladder which can cause some irritation for a bit. Just try to drink plenty of fluids, but if things worsen, definitely contact your surgeon's nurse for advice.

Hardly any pain is a blessing!! Just take things slow and you'll do fine I'm sure.

Best to you,

• You found a great site for help and support.

I can understand wanting to be in your own place, however, be careful not to rush things. Fusion recovery is a long haul, being young is in your favor.

Surgery and pain meds can absolutely mess with your appetite.

Hang in there, with each passing week/month you will see improvement. Also, listen up: as a veteran of 2 multi-level fusions I just want to warn you about going back to your "old ways" once you are fused. You need to always pay attention to your body alignment, lifting properly, etc. I DID NOT do that and paid for it with my second fusion.

Let us know how you are getting along. If you are worried about something don't be afraid to call your Dr.
  • Thank you everyone for the great advise. After I started throwing up i called the dr. The medication dosage i was given was way to high, so they reduced it and now im good. All the symptoms i was concerned with have now gone away.

I am grateful for the support and advise.

• I am so pleased that you are over that hurdle! :)))

There will probably be other minor problems along the way. Do keep asking us any questions you may have.

Things will get easier, and by the end you will be an expert!