Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone ever had tendinitis in there arms due to neck problems?

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I've had tendinitis in my right arm now since last September and on and off in my left arm. I'm doing some therapy for it but it doesn't seem to be getting rid of it.It helps take some of the pain away and my therapist has tried everything she can think of.I'm waiting to see my neurologist in July for a suspected spinal cord concussion.My back and shoulders have really been hurting since the accident,my therapist thinks that the tendinitis is a secondary result of the car accident,because i'm having so many muscle spasm issues she thinks that it keeps irritating the tendons and thats why the tendinitis won't go away.I've been here for a long time now and I've never heard anyone talk about tendinitis before.I'm just wondering if this is just a problem i'm having or if anyone else has had these problems as well?
advertisement

Comments

• I've had elbow pain for many years and one time so bad when I saw an excellent PT and she did minor traction of my neck with me laying down and her sitting. It was so gentle yet it relieved th elbow pain. I also had ultrasound. Over the years I've had 3 cortisone injections to the lateral epicondylitis outside of elbow with some effect. I still have pain I have C6-C7 impingement. Heat helps me also. I hope you can find a good PT. or Dr. to help. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I developed significant pain in both elbows and forearms about a year after I had surgery to replace the discs at C5-C7. After speaking with my pain management doctor about this, I had an EMG and nerve conduction study done on both arms/cervical area and it was determined that I have radiculitis stemming from the disc below C7 and it is probably a side effect of my surgery. I had assumed that it was tendonitis or arthritis prior to the test. Thankfully my spinal cord stimulator does help me control that pain somewhat and I also take an anti-inflammatory medication twice/day. He did tell me that it is not likely to get worse (thank goodness)and might even eventually get better. The pain and weakness are significant at times so I know exactly what you are talking about.
  • I'm not really sure how tendinitis is diagnosed or what it entails. I have problems from C6 to t2 and I get pain across my shoulders around my collar bone and down both arms. The arm pain can be everything from aches to sharp pains and some weakness.

If this is what you are feeling I would look to the neck. Here's the thing - many pains can be caused by two or more different problems. Many people think they have tennis elbow or wrist problems but the real source is the neck or vice versa.

You need a doctor who is open to your questions and ideas. If you ask if this is spine related and he gets an attitude I would find a new doctor.
  • My therapist does know everything about my neck,that I've had surgery,my car accident. She does wonder if my arm problems are coming from my neck,but were still waiting for me to see my neurologist next month til then i'm seeing my physical therapist twice a week to try and keep the pain under control a bit.She did give me two weeks off to rest my arm to see if that would help but it only made it worse.My neck has bothered me ever since the car accident so hopefully the neurologist will do another mri on it.I've been told by my surgeon that he's worried that i sustained a spinal cord concussion in the accident and now i'm worried that my neck never fully fused.
  • I was diagnosed having tendinitis in both my arms about 4 years ago. I was out 3 months from work one time and 6 months another. Each time my primary care doctor sent me to physical therapy.

Finally, I was sent to a back doctor. She sent me for MRI's, since my tendinitis was not improving. She found I had significant neck issues and recommended discectomy/fusion on 3 to 4 levels in my neck. My neuro-surgeon did a 4 level laminectomy instead. That was 2 yrs ago.

Anyway, my tendinitis was not tendinitis. My arm pain was caused by pinched nerves in my neck.
    Greyeagle
  • I do remember all the problems that you were having before.I've had a three level ACDF in my cervical spine.I had significant arm pain prior to the operation but this type of pain is different then what i had before but my therapist seems to think its still being caused from my neck. Hopefully she's wrong,i'd hate to think that my neck is still causing problems.Thanks for the info i really appreciate it i'm hoping that they get to the bottom of it in the next month.
  • Hi..I have had severe arm pain starting shortly after my accident..It got to the point where my arms began to get numb..At that time I was referred to a neurosurgeon and I had an ACDF levels 5-7...for the first couple of months it was just my neck hurting from the operation and I was almost weaned off my pain meds total 15 mg oxycodone and gabapentin..7 months after the operation I was getting upper thoracic/shoulder pain on my left side..that resolved but the pain in the last two months has bee my left shoulder, elbow wrist, and the upper and forearm..It was like I had a toothache in my left arm 24/7.the oxy went up to 35-40 mg.I kept wondering is this something wrong with my arm somewhere..I went back to the neurosurgeon and I have a disc protrusion at C4-5..Currently I am getting scheduled for a selective nerve root block,,In the meantime, my primary care doc has prescribed oxycontin, prednisone, tramadol, naproxen, oxycodone for breakthrough pain and 2800mg gabapentinin Last night and today I have been 95% pain free, the best I have felt in 28 months,,I 'm not sure it will last especially if it is the steroid..the nerve block could help, but I might need more surgery..Arm pain is horrible, and I work at a desk typing and such..Hang in there..My doc says it is usually the neck especially given the neck and spinal cord injury.I do though hate being on so many meds but I could not stand the pain anymore..best to all..Amy
  • That sounds like a tremendous amount of (addictive) meds you are on. How could you possibly be feeling any pain after taking all that? It's not really treating your condition, just the symptoms. Have you had a second opinion?
  • Sometimes i think that the more pain meds your on it makes the pain seems twice as bad.They start to distort the pain that your feeling.I know that after my surgery i was still taking nerve pain meds. but i had decided that i didn't want to keep taking them. The pain i was having started to go down significantly when i started to come off the meds. It didn't go away completely i did do other things to help with the pain but afterwards i realized that the pain meds. were just making the pain feel even worse.
advertisement