Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Assault- ACDF Surgery Aug 3rd.. Anxious

Jennifer76JJennifer76 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
I was assaulted at work by a client while working (still there) at a local MHMR.This happened in late Feb of 2010. The client hit me upside the head from the top 5 to 6 times causing whiplash and a concussion. The MRI 3 weeks later showed the real truth..I now have a herniated disc at the C5-C6 level and have already suffered from Fibro and Migraines for at least 10 years. I am only 33 now. W/C is paying for the medical expenses. I am just anxious about what to expect with the surgery and how much time I will be out of work... I don't sit still well :) I know that isn't good for the kind of injury I have either. I have heard a lot of horror stories but have also read a lot of posts on here that don't make it sound so bad! My right arm and shoulder constantly hurt and some days I can hardly lift my right arm which makes getting dressed or fixing my hair interesting and this is before my surgery... LOL... I am I being a worry wart??? Advice is welcome!! Thanks! Jennifer

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information here in the form of articles and videos and the members of the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

Did you go to a surgeon that said you need surgery without trying any conservative measures first? It's uncommon for a doctor, even a surgeon, to suggest surgery as the first course of action. In fact, many insurance companies and even WC usually require conservative treatments first as well.

That's not to say it doesn't happen - on my first visit to the surgeon after my MRI, I was told that conservative treatments wouldn't help and that it wasn't a matter of if I needed surgery, but when. So I bit the bullet and had a 3-lvl ACDF.

I've also had a lumbar fusion and I can tell you that the ACDF is an easier recovery. I felt normal much quicker than with the lumbar TLIF, but that's not always a good thing as then you tend to overdo it and set yourself back a day or two.

Anyway, is your surgeon suggesting an ACDF? Did you get a second opinion? I'm just interested if you've tried any other treatment options as surgery is always a last resort.

I'm sorry you've gone through all that - it sounds very scary and then to have this happen to your cervical spine - ack. I feel for you.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you found us! it can be scary to be facing surgery but cath gave you alot of good ideas before you even get there.. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input on your surgery. good luck and i hope you are able to avoid the surgery for awhile!! Jenny :)
  • Due to having Fibro and Migraines for so long I have already been through the so called "wringer" of treatments... I have had 3 series of ESI's both in my back and neck which did nothing.. I am currently using a Chiropractor that helps some but it just eases the pain. I went through 3 weeks of PT for this injury and had to go through the tourture chamber I believe they called traction...:) Needless to say my NS said I have all the necessary requirements needed and that my injury to my disc was past any more ESI treatment. My issue has been getting W/C to approve this since I live in Texas. It is not a W/C friendly state!! I can't even get the scheduler at TBI to tell me whether I need to be fasting for my blood work but she tells me I need to get it scheduled with my local medical doctor ASAP so I don't have to drive the 250 miles to Plano to get it done.. What?? So anyway enough of my venting.. I am just stressed and sooo tired!! No sleep lately. I just cannot get comfortable anymore...
  • Jennifer, you are in the right place as alot of us have trouble sleeping!!! I) be sure to check out the "Sleep Problems forum" for some ideas on getting comfortable!! i hope you are enjoying the forum! Jenny :)
  • I sure will! I am already taking Zolpidem 10mg 1 qpm and Rozerem 8mg 1qpm everynight and still waking up at least once everynight... If it weren't for the muscle spasms I think I would probably sleep okay! I am looking forward to any advice! I have already cut out the noise, light and caffiene :) I just lay there and watch the colon on the clock blink LOL....
  • I can relate to muscle spasms. That's so common with spine patients. Do you have some muscle relaxants? If you do, maybe you need to try a different one and keep trying until you find what's right for you. I've been taking flexiril for a long time, but right after my TLIF I was on valium. I still have both, but am back down to my flexiril as I continue to recover.

I can't comment on WC, only that you'll find a lot of members here that have problems with them also. They're very difficult to deal with from what I hear.

I figured you must've tried the conservative methods first and I'm not surprised they didn't work. With our cervical spines, it's difficult to get good results with ESIs and PT. Be careful with chiropractic care, though - the can be very good for some things, but if you have anything impinging on your spinal cord, one wrong move and you could do some serious damage.

Oddly, I absolutely loved traction on my neck when I was first doing PT before I saw my surgeon. I thought it felt great, before it started to do nothing.