Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nightmare - Reherniantion to the left????

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all!

STUPID me!!! Okay, I retired a month ago, and as a 'treat' to myself, took a "doctor break." I've been referred back to a Neurologist because I am a 'puzzle'..okay, not a biggie. Well, I bent sideways to pick up my Chausie (small hybrid jungle cat), and as I came up, I had a loud 'kerpop' followed by instant pain at the base of the left side of my neck, top of the shoulder blade and then all the way down my arm to my middle, index finger and thumb! &$&$&&$&$^^% <--- My bad words there! I will be calling the NS tomorrow, and possibly my surgeon so I can get an MRI asap. This ticks me off to no end!

I have no question in my brain that more likely than not, I (gee lucky me) herniated out to the left now, for C5/6/7 - the crack get bigger maybe? Grrrrr... This will sound weird okay? My surgery to 'revise' was put on hold due to an EMG finding of Neuropathy, did this 'kerpop' maybe move it back on the playing table? I am saying C5/6/7 because the pain is biceps and triceps - no weakness or numbness to the left - just the bloody pain! STUPID!!!!!!! I am one that stays positive most of the time, and still trying to, but dag-gum it, can't bloody win! I HATE Nerves! Whew!!! Thanks for listening....going back to my happy place if it is still there! :( Sniff....

Brenda
aka - The problem child!!!
PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement

Comments

• I really get a weird vibe from you so readily self diagnosing without even being examined by the doc yet. I can understand the uncertainty of the situation, I think most folks here can, but don't stress yourself out by placing the cart before the horse. Call the doc tomorrow and let him determine what happened and see what course of action he recommends. There's not much you can do about it tonight, so kick back, relax and call the doc in the morning.

Hope you feel better.

"C"
  • haglandc said:
    I really get a weird vibe from you so readily self diagnosing without even being examined by the doc yet. I can understand the uncertainty of the situation, I think most folks here can, but don't stress yourself out by placing the cart before the horse. Call the doc tomorrow and let him determine what happened and see what course of action he recommends. There's not much you can do about it tonight, so kick back, relax and call the doc in the morning.

Hope you feel better.

"C"
    Sorry C, not trying to give weird vibes. :) Now when I walk (and this was an hour after my kerpop) when my arm swings, serious pain from the neck to the fingers. If I wake and it is still there, I will go full speed for an appointment. Actually I am going to see if they can fax me a script for an MRI - sadly I've been spot on with the last two disks when they went - GAWD I hope I am wrong and this is a fluke!

C, you have always been great for getting me "centered" when funky stuff happens, and I soooo much appreciate and embrace that. :) Just getting a touch sleepy, so hopefully it is a fluke, but sadly I don't have that ummm... "warm and fuzzy" feeling? I miss Sumo wrestling, mountain climbing - heheh, not true, but sounds good! Still trying to stay positive. Hubby doesn't know yet, as he is sleeping. ER's bite, as they x-ray, meds and pat you on your head and send you home to see 'your doctor.' I can spend my money elsewhere! :) Thanks again C, you are tops!!! *HUGZ* to ya "C" :)

Brenda
  • Update... Now it is just BURNING pain! I can curl my arm up to my chest - sort a a neutral zone? Any other position, BURN! Dag-gum it! I am typing this in pieces - type a few words, curl the arm, type a few more, curl the arm - what the h*ll happened?!?! Please be GONE when I wake up! I HATE this..... Nerve Sux!!!!

Me!!
  • Oh how I remember that pain! It was awful. I would definitely contact your surgeon first thing this morning. Keep us posted. Hope you feel better soon.

Marianne
  • sorry brenda
    just call doc and see first..and no picking up kitties..
    HHHUUUUGGGGSSSSS

mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Hi Brenda

I am sorry you are going through this, thinking of you, and hoping it isn't too serious.

(((hugs)))
    Liz TC

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Why is it the little things that cause so much pain? Well it's 9:30 - when is your MRI? I'm guessing that knowing you it will be before noon today, since you are so much like me. :)

C you are right that we shouldn't self diagnose but Brenda has been through this enough to know when something is really wrong. She needs to take a chill pill about the specifics but I'm pretty sure she knows that wonderful feeling that equals "crap".

So anyone wanna place a bet about what time her MRI will be? :)
  • And how are you? Good grief, haven't you been through enough already?

Picking up your cat, yup, I once threw out my back (long before the spiney days) when I was WATERING A PLANT! Felt like such a moron when people at work asked how I hurt myself. Would have been much cooler if I could say I fought off a black bear or hurt myself in a surfing accident! Yeah, right.

Hope you find answers and relief soon. Sometimes the more we know we do tend to self diagnose and worry, worry, worry. Even if its bad news, I feel better knowing what is going on. My overactive imagination can create suck worries of the unknown. Ignorance is bliss....

I hope for your sake you are wrong, but you know your body.

Fill us in when you can,

Lisa
  • If you can wrestle a bear I wonder how I did this? Gotta think up something good. :)
  • I agree with C and maybe it's the case what happened to you but just want to say I have issues with c6-and c7 is impinging and I get arm elbow and finger pain and numbness especially typing but went to PT when it was more acute and had gentle traction and ultrasound and it eased up.

Put ice 20 minutes at least 4 times a day. for the first 24-48 hours. I hope NS will assess and see you see in regards to this. Just saying hopefully this can be managed without surgery. Prayers and take care. Charry. Hug
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Maybe it could be entertaining for us to think up creative ways for our injuries to have occured. I think I'll start a new thread, we could always use a good laugh!
  • Brenda, you may still be waiting for results from your MRI, but keep us informed. I hope the best for you and I hope your pain is settling down here over time.....Mitch
  • so sorry about your hurting yourself.
    you know "c" is correct, but i can also relate to what you are saying. when you have been thru something once, that you never forget the pain, and then it happens again, you know just from the symptons what it is .

hope that makes sence. 8}

take care and keep us informed what the doctor says.

• Hi Brenda,
    As we haven't heard from you in a few days, I am praying that all is well with you.

Hopefully, we'll hear from you soon telling us all about it.
    Missing you :-) >:D<
  • Howdy Mitch,

My NS didn't order a new MRI, instead his 'findings' where that I "started to reherniate' to the left, but he felt the disk didn't 'stay' on the exit nerve. I wasn't totally convinced, but I did agree to give it time. His reasoning to me was that while I have (now getting to had) megga burning pain, I didn't have weakness or numbness as was present with my last two hernia's.

He told me that if the disk were to have stayed 'out', I would have either weakness or numbness or both. I did have that with my original ones, but true, this one was pain 101! I am just now were I can type again and too look at the screen without megga zings/burns. So, whatever happened, it is getting better. I am hoping to feel comfortable to drive in a week or so, at which time I am going back to the Neurologist and push for an MRI. "Started to herniate" still bugs me! This area by the way is inside of my past fusions - yummy - no warm and fuzzy feeling there Mitch!

For now I am going to try and stay optimistic, but skeptical at the same time if that makes sense? It is a lot better though... *HUG*

Brenda
  • Howdy Jim, Jellyhall,

It's getting better, but I am not thrilled at the so called reason and what occurred. I am now more guarded in my movements - yeah I am still picking up my kitties - just more purposeful on the way I pick them up! (G) My last herniation was caused by a yawn!

If 5 years ago someone told me they blew a disk sneezing, coughing etc., I would have laughed you out of the room. A yawn? hehehehe... Like you Lisa, I saw the funny looks I got when I told them I was having surgery to fuse my C6/7 cuz I yawned! Come on, we are suppose to blow em doing something juicy like sky diving, mountain climbing, fighting that 300lb in the dark alley at 0300... right? (G)

Sigh....this was a good example of "patience is a virtue"...Gawd I hate that quote - especially when true! *HUGZ* all!!

Brenda
  • good to hear from ya.
    hopefully everything works itself out, but just try to take'r easy.

i'm sure this new pain is just delayed after-effects from your chopper accident. :H

you know what you have to do, if the pain comes back just pay the good ole doctor another visit.

take care and best wishes to ya.
  • Thanks Jim, good to be back! Yeah, this stuff gets old, blah! (G) My whole spine is after affects from crashing my helicopter, hehehehhe...Thanks again Jim! *hug*

Brenda
  • Brenda, sorry to hear you are still in that much pain and your surgeon is still not taking this seriously. I do hope he is right though and it is something that goes away with time.

At least you have a good story about how you hurt your back, lol. much better than got out of a chair wrong, or just woke up with it......I was in a helicopter crash!! it has a ring to it. All in fun of course, it doesnt really matter how we all get hurt, we all end up in the same pain.
  • I didn't get the impression he wasn't taking it seriously,he just didn't seem as alarmed as me. Granted *he* doesn't have the pain, nor did he hear the kerpop - but logic is telling me after 27 years of doing this, he's "seen it before?" It is better, no question. I may have overdone it a bit today catching up on posting, but it was therapy I needed! I missed my spiney friends!!! I will know when I wake up! (G)

Crashing is interesting for sure, sure beats a yawn blew my disk eh? Lol!!! What's funny is in each of my 'impacts' I didn't feel a thing at the exact moment! I want to go out that way too! I don't mean crashing necessarily, but 'no pain & fast!' I've had kin that got cancer or some other ill, were sick and miserable for months! Fast, no pain, no knowledge it is coming - yeah, that's it!! :) Thanks Mitch!!! *hug* :)

Brenda
  • Hi Brenda, I am sorry you are going through so much, like you I know we need these nerves but they sure do hurt so much, the tingling, aching, burning, then to have what you have happen, YIKES, I have no idea. It seems never ending. Aftrer my acdf, i saw my ns and my pm docs and they both said to me it could take up to two years for you nerves to settle down and quit hurting! I said holy crap!!! NO!!!! Sooo, I went back on the Lyrica! I dont care if I gain a little weight! Brenda, I hope you can get in your pool, it does feel good to be weightless, relieves some of the pains! Anyway,we missed you, good to see back, talk to you again soon, Lela
  • Appreciate! :) I am paying a little bit today for posting like 15 posts yesterday, but it isn't that much of a spank. I am stubborn, and while I wasn't happy at first with the 'findings', I am umm.. eerrr.. am kinda coming around that he could be right. It was so good just to get that burning out of my hand and arm. The shoulder pain isn't steady anymore, but when it zings, I know it!

Weight gain and Lyrica. Heheeh... *HUG* I gained a bunch of weight when I got put on it. When I knocked so much of the nerve burn down that I could function again, I actually 'happily' told my NS (he handles most of my PM, diagnosing, MRI's etc.) that I will take the weight gain over pain any day, I thought he was gonna faint! I guess we woman are so stereotyped that thin is in, it shocked him that I wasn't complaining about weight! (G) Glad to hear it is working for ya - I love it myself! Thanks again Lela. I hope your day is going great. *HUG*

Brenda
  • Here we go again! I woke up, and burning pain from the (left again) base of my skull, shoulder, bottom of the shoulder blade and down the triceps. What a pain in the &^%. NS comments? "Didn't you have this happen a few months ago." "Yes Doctor P, the end of June." "Okay, you might have slept wrong, give it a week or so, and let's see where you stand then. If it is still going on, we'll go from there." (me) "Sigh, okay Doctor P..." A week? Great doc, I'll be (sniff - now hopefully) on my Christmas RV trip to family up north. Tears..

Thanks for listening guys. *HUGZ*

Brenda

• I am so sorry that you are having that pain again.

I really hope that it is because of the 'way you slept', and that after a week (Christmas) you will be feeling much better.

These pains come and go, and I really hope that yours goes!! It is certainly an unwelcome visitor! =;

Feel better soon friend. >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thanks very much, appreciate! It just gets old ya know? Having my NS being almost 'less than interested' is starting to ping me more and more to find a new one. I mean, like before, no weakness, just the burning pain, but twice now?

The difference this time is it is from the base of the skull down the neck and out. Last time it was mid neck down and out. Most times I can deal with it using Lyrica, I think shortly it will be pain meds times, and lay down again! Thanks too, my fingers are crossed too this backs off enough for our trip. I will be so pissed if this stupid neck messes up yet another important (I want to go) activity! *HUGZ* to ya Ms. Jelly!!! :)

Brenda
  • I so hope it's just a temporary thing, and it doesn't ruin your trip!! I know that pain and fear well. That's what's been bothering me on and off the past month or so, but at least it isn't all the time. And since getting the pulse wave thing yesterday, I've had no pain (knock on wood). I so hope it gets better for you. I hate it when doctors seem so blase when we tell them about our pain, it makes it seem like our pain isn't valid or they're dismissing our pain or something. It's terrible! Hopefully it's just a nerve being pinched, and it will sort itself out soon!! Hope you have a good nap, and the meds work quickly!!!

I don't really do this, as it's not really my thing, but just for you~~~

HUGZ!!!!! :D
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks Kelly,

I'm hoping that like the last time it does. If I keep my head jet straight, it's tolerable. If I let it go forward, turn left, or lean it left, holy yow!

I've been thinking about that conversation off and on, and more and more I think he just doesn't want to deal with it, as I wasn't a quick "cut and fix" for him. I am pretty sure now that a new surgeon might be the better way to go. :(

This one is different though. I looked at my "symptoms" log from when this happened last. And it was more involved with the lower part of my neck, this time it is the top of the neck down and out. I'm gonna take my next Lyrica dose a few hours early and see if that helps, and if not, pain meds. I'm not big on feeling loopy! (G) Thanks again Kelly. *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • It does seem to be like that, more often than not, with the surgeons. If something is wrong after surgery, they don't want to deal with it. Their poor over-sized egos get bruised, and it reminds them that they are only human, and knocks them down a few pegs. I would ask him directly, "seeing as you don't seem to want to treat me anymore, is there any of your colleagues that you recommend?" See what he says then. It might either wake him up, or let you know that no, he doesn't want to treat you anymore. I'm just waiting to see how my surgeon reacts when he sees me back in his office whenever I get my appointment!

I so hope you get relief though!! That really stinks to have a flare up, or new injury causing so much pain during the holidays. I hope it doesn't ruin it for you!! At least you know that while travelling, you can go back and lay down, instead of having to sit for a long time!! Do you have one of those wrap around neck pillows for travelling?
    Kelly
  • Kelly,

You're right about the egos and such. When a lot of my symptoms started coming back around week 7, he seemed real concerned, and had me get an MRI the following week. You have to be 8 weeks out of a surgery or they won't do the imaging - as they told me. Anyways, there was too much swelling at the time to really tell if anything was going on. He thought the swelling was doing it, so contrary to what we are told about NSAIDs, he put me on 2000mg a day of Naproxin - of which I had a bad reaction to by dose 3!

Still not much better, had 5 month x-rays (vs 6) and the radiologist (this hospital - the radiologist sucks) barely made comments. My NS only looked at the report. I showed him what looked like a crack in the C6, and his response was it would heal on its own. He then sent me for a detailed NCV/EMG for my extremities and spine - came back with moderate Neuropathy for the legs, and severe in the right arm. It was like a switch or something was turned off. Without saying much (but oddly had a worried look on his face) referred me back to Neurology!

Then the end of June of this year picking up my cat, and pow! All previous for the neck was to the right, this solid to the left. See the first post in this thread. Then this morning (nope, not much better right now) and the conversation was virtually the same...sigh. Since he charges my insurance like $650 for an appointment, I'll save that charge and just get another surgeon through my Neurologist if surgery is on the table. :)

As for the wrap around neck pillow - my hubby bought me one on our last RV trip! They're pretty good! This one has those little beads in it for filler. Adjusts nicely. :)

You're thinking of switching surgeons too Kelly? What isn't he doing for your care? Bummer, this seems all too common anymore. Pout...

Brenda
  • Oh, no, well, not yet anyways, lol. I only ever saw my surgeon once after surgery, for the follow-up, and because of the Horner's syndrome, he dumped me on the head of neurology, who I only saw once as well, because he said it would disappear with time. So anyways, with all this new crap happening on the opposite side as my surgery, my doc gave me a referral, and they're going to try to get me in with the same guy, for continuity, even though he's in another city 2 hours away... We'll see what he says, if he pulls that ego trip crap or not. But I don't think he will, as it is mainly the other side now, although I do still have symptoms on the operated side, and it's been almost 2 years since surgery. I'd like to say hopefully he won't remember me, but seeing as I'm his first patient to develop the Horner's, somehow, I don't think that will be the case, lol.

Holy crap, I can't believe you were on that much naproxen!! I did not do well on what was probably the lowest dose possible on that stuff!!

That's good that you have the neuro, as well. I'm sure he can give you good recommendations for surgeons. has the neuro said you might need more surgery?
    Kelly
advertisement