Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is the day!

PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Tomorrow, July 2nd my son Jason will be having his fusion.

They (he has 2 surgeons)will be going in from the front and back with 5 small incisions. He will have 4 screws and 2 rods and a plate in the front. The Surgeons say he will be in the hospital for 4 to 6 days.

I'm starting to get nervous but I know he is in good hands.

He was given his brace on Tuesday and surprisingly he said it feels really good to wear it. Poor guy is starving as they have had him on a clear liquid and jello diet.

I will post an update as soon as I can!

• I've posted elsewhere with my best wishes, but I repeat that I hope that all goes well with the surgery and that he wakes up with good pain control.

At first, things will be touch, but once healing is well under way, he should start to feel better.

I had PLIF for grade 2 spondylolisthesis 14 weeks ago, and I am feeling so much better. I am getting back my range of movement and hardly get any pain at all now. Been off all pain meds since about 4/5 weeks out.

I'll be thinking of your grandsons too, as it will be a worrying time for them.

Will be waiting to hear from you how they all are. :-)

Make sure that you look after yourself too!
  • to hear your pain levels have really gone down and your recovery is going well.

Thank you for your support Jelly. It really means a lot and I will update as soon as I can.

P x
  • i hope everything works out fine and i will be watching as i may be having a similar operation soon
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi peggy

I hope everything goes well tomorrow, you will all be in my thoughts, wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • for a successful surgery and recovery. Your son and grandkids are lucky to have you for support. This is a great place to unload worries, ask questions and see how others handle recovery.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at the "post-op must haves". Its a massive list that is very helpful, and no, you don't need everything there!
  • Hi Peggy

Just wanted to add my wishes that your son's surgery is uneventful and that he'll be on the road to recovery soon.

Please keep us posted -

• Hi Peggy! Wishing the best for your son during his surgery and hospitalizations.

I will keep ya'll in my thoughts and prayers for a succcessful surgery and compassionate care while he is in the hospital.

What a blessing you are to him during this time. Be sure to take care of yourself too. This is a long journey so you want to pace yourself. :0

We are here to support you and your son along the way!

Hopefully today will be a relaxing and peaceful day!

Wishing ya'll the best and looking forward to hearing how he is doing!
  • Now he is on the upswing to a better life! As we are about a week apart on the time scan, we should keep each other informed. Your guy will probably mend faster than mine but they will be facing the same journey.
  • Wishing good luck and sending some positive vibes for you and your son tomorrow. Be sure to let the hospital do for him, as when he comes home you will be one busy person. Hopefully today it is all about relaxing and enjoying some time together. Keep us posted. Take care.
  • What an amazing bunch of people you are!

We have had a really nice day. Took the boys to the movies, got his hair cut,came home and just been lazing around.

Got most everything we will need on the list so I think we are ready to go.

He probably won't sleep much tonight as we will have to get up at about 3AM in order for him to shower and then drive an hour to the hospital.

The boys will be going to their other grandparents later this evening. They've had a few anxious moments but seem to be holding up ok.

I will post an update as soon as I am able. Thanks for all the good vibes.

• Hi Everyone.

My son Jason is doing pretty well. They had a problem when they went in the front. He had some scar tissue where he had his appendectomy when he was 14 and it caused a lot of bleeding. The Surgeon was worried that if he turned him over to put the rods and screws in he might have blood pooling in his abdomen so just put in a spacer (new device with a screw in it that Doc says is excellent) with BMP and a plate to secure it. No minimally invasive for him! He had to open him up pretty wide to stop the bleeding.

I think they will send him home in a couple of days and plan on his next surgery for the rods etc in a week or so.

It was a tough night last night getting his pain controlled but he was resting pretty well when I left this morning to come home and take a shower and change my clothes. I am tired but hanging in there.

Will update again as soon as I can.

Peggy x

• Hi Peggy,
    It sounds like your son has had a pretty rocky start, but once the second surgery to put the rods and screws in is over, he will be able to get on with his healing and recovery. Hopefully, he'll be able to have that surgery done as a minimally invasive procedure.

It is amazing how we can get over it when there are problems. I hope that they now manage to keep his pain under control.

While he is the hospital, do make sure that you get enough rest. Soon enough you will be busy nursing him.

I really hope and pray that soon, he will feel comfortable and see improvement in his problems. Then he can look forward to a more active life with his sons. :D
  • It sounds like your son is in good hands and in the end, it may be easier on him to have the surgeries at 2 seperate times.

I had a 360 also, and it is a long time to be under anesthesia! So breaking it up may be easier!

I ended up with pneumonia and pluresy along with 3 blood transfusions...:(

Give him our best and do take care of yourself! It is a long journey and you'll want to pace yourself!

Wishing you both all the best!
  • He was so much better this afternoon!

I left him for a few hours this morning so I could go to his house and shower and change my clothes.

When I got back the physio woman came in and we talked him into learning to sit up and hang his feet over the bed. He stood and leant on the walker (zimmer frame) for a little bit.

His ex called and I asked her if I could have the boys tonight for a bit while she works and she complied (it is her time with them the next couple of days).

Before I left I got him up again and this time with the help of a very cute student nurse we got him into the recliner in his room (which is HUGE...the room, not recliner ;)). He immediately fell asleep really deeply. I had to leave so I left him a note and his cell phone so he could call me if he needs to.

So, I am taking care of ME tonight. I've only had about 5 hours of sleep altogether the last 3 days!! Having a glass of wine and watching the boys play Wii. They made the most adorable card for their Dad. He will love it.

I do agree that it may be the best thing to separate this into 2 surgeries. The Posterior one will be minimally invasive. I think he will recover much quicker from that one.It is always a problem waking up the bowels again after belly surgery.

I can't believe he has NO pain in his back or legs!! When he arrived at the hospital he had REALLY bad nerve pain in both legs.

Thanks for the support you guys...it means the world to me. It's so nice to have someone to bounce this stuff off of.

P x

P.S. Jayhawk, I read about your problems during and after surgery. You are amazing!
  • awe~not sure if I am "amazing" of just stubborn! :)

So want to feel better and will do just abbout anything to get there!!!

Wishing your son the best as he heals and hoping his nurses are HOT and compassinate! :)

He is single right!! :)

Do take care of yourself! :) He is blessed to have you!!
  • is a strawberry blonde and loves the ocean, surfing & fishing. His dream is to surf again!

I think the student nurse is a bit young for him but she was so cute and looked away as he struggled with his hospital gown as he got out of bed.

I would LOVE to find him a nice woman. He is so lonely but not a good idea for Moms to interfere!
  • he has gorgeous brown eyes!

Any takers?? ;)

• Things are looking promising! :D

I hope that your son is feeling even better today and that he managed to sleep well last night. Hope that you managed to catch up on your sleep too. I)

Once he starts to feel a little better, he can relax and enjoy the attention from those nurses!

Happy 4th July!
  • Day 2 was nothing special. He is complaining of an upset stomach. The PT got him out of bed and taught him how to put his underwear on and use his grabber.

Started him on clear liquids. He said the grape juice tasted wonderful. Something with taste!

Not much pain except in the incision site. Still don't know when he will be having his 2nd surgery.

Hope everyone in the US had a good July 4th! Had a great nights sleep despite the fireworks!

P x
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Sounds like the first part of the recovery is going well. Have him tell the staff if he has any abdominal pain. I had a side incision (4" on my right side above my hip) and I drank too many fluids and had some abdominal distention. I didn't tell the nurses so they had no idea I wasn't tolerating fluids well :-)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • He has had some issues with low potassium. The pills they give you are like horse pills! It's either them or the liquid which is foul! So they crush them and put them in applesauce. Then it makes him nauseous and he throws them up. You'd think they could find a better way. I guess when they gave it to him IV it didn't work. Don't quite understand it.

Last night his stomach was upset after a dose so he asked for some Milk of Magnesia and they gave him a shot of Zoloft in his arm??? I thought that was for anxiety etc. It immediately made him vomit and so he was back to square one.

I can hardly wait to get him home. I think he will do so much better. You know what it is like. They never let you sleep at night. He seems exhausted.

Will speak to the doctor this morning and see what they say. Wish I could do more to help him heal. Still NO nerve pain in his legs or back pain... Yeah!!!
  • You sure they didn't give him Zofran for nausea? I thought Zoloft was only by mouth. Does he have some foam earplugs? Sometimes that helps blocking "hospital noise" out. You are a great mom & God bless you!
  • but will you when you have to do all the nursing? But it is still better to have him home for sure. My old guy is doing really well right now. All the infection is cleared up, internal organs are working properly and he is walking a kilometer at a time. That's good for me also as I walk with him. And he is absolutely painfree for the first time in several years. No pain pills at all. Sounds as if your son is following the same pattern.

• Sounds like the surgery has done what was needed and got rid of the nerve pain. He just needs to recover from the surgery and stomach issues now. :-)

Does he like bananas? Potassium is found in vegetables and fruits, especially chard, crimini mushrooms, spinach, romaine lettuce and celery.

I'll keep you all in my prayers and hope that he will be able to go home soon to relax and be comfortable. Then you can come into your own. :-)

Will be waiting anxiously for the next installment on his progress. :D
  • Yes, Optimist (I love your name by the way!). He misheard. It was Zofran. I wasn't there when they gave it to him. It sure made him sick when it hit his stomach! Thanks for the compliments but I think I am just doing what every parent who loves their child would do!

Beaver, (love your name too)I am so thrilled that your husband is doing so well. Kilometers eh...you guys Canadians? A Brit would spell it Kilometres!It will be awhile before my son is pill free. Needs to wean off them now but has NO pain for the first time in many, many years. He is so happy to be rid of the nerve pain. We thought it was one big incision in his belly and two small ones on either side but when they took the dressing off it was 1 large and 4 small ones.

Jelly, bless you, always thinking of other people. Bought him some nice organic bananas and tonight I am giving him pork tenderloin, Kraft Dinner Mac & Cheese ( for those in the know it is comfort food in the US & Canada) and salad, all at his request. He is so worn out but very happy to be home with his boys.

He is really looking forward to uninterrupted sleep tonight. No one ever gets to rest in the hospital!!

Thanks so much for being there for me. Don't know how I would make it without the SH people!!

Night all!
    P x

• Glad to hear that you are feeding him up well, Peggy! :-)

I hope that he is sleeping well tonight. I found for the first weeks, that I kept waking up and needing to turn and change my pillows. At least if he wakes it will not be because of a noisy hospital! I hope that you will sleep well too, knowing that he is home again.

You know Peggy, your posts help us too. :-) Reading how your son is doing, takes us back to our own early recovery and makes us realise how far we have come.

It is good to be able to support others, after all the support I have received. :D

• It is so good to be home after being in the hospital! I had a horrible hospital stay and couldn't wait to be home!

I have a big ugly abdominal incision too! It's probably easier on the ego for men! :)

It sounds as if he is doing well! It is so great to be rid of the nerve pain! That is aweful pain!

Do they still plan to do the posterior portion of his surgery? Is there a date?

Dinner sounds great! He is so blessed to have you there for him, and I bet the boys are happy too!

He will have lots of walking companions! :)

Take care and wishing you both the best!
  • yet on the next surgery.

Just helped him have his first shower. He said it was heaven. I used saran wrap on him. I think he thinks his mom is a bit nutty!

Tonight it is yellow tail snapper, baked potato (for the potassium) and salad. I've really missed all the seafood from Florida. The cold water fish, lobster, oysters and such isn't as good (IMO) as the warm water seafood. I'm lovin that part of being here...well that and seeing my son and grandsons.

P x
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    For the anti nausea drugs like zofran it never reaches the stomach like an oral medication, so the nausea is possibly just caused by his body's reaction to zofran in his system. I've never done really well on zofran, I always ask for it's predecessor compazine. For some reason that works better for me and this last time they were good at making sure that was what was ordered. I was very nervous about the drive home (though it was only 20 minutes) and I asked for compazine for the way home and they did give it to me orally that time.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• Peggy, what is saran wrap??