Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's Your Fantasy:How you hurt your back

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Okay Spineys,

In another post I joked that I hurt my back watering a plant but wished I had a cooler reason for hurting myself, (like fending off a bear!). I felt like a pitiful doofus saying "I hurt my back watering my plants", ugh!

So come on my spiney friends: lets have a few chuckles. Use your imagination and tell us just what "really" happened to give you such spine problems!

I still to this day can't pin point it to one act. My back had been bothering me for quite some time. The final pop that sent me to the operating table THE FIRST TIME? I woke up, while still lying in bed half asleep, stretched my legs and heard a loud "pop" followed by excruciating pain. Herniated the already buging disc and the fragment landed on the nerve.

I like to humor myself and blame it all on the fact that I was a preemie baby born at 3lbs @ 6 months 3 weeks. Hey, back in the age of dinosaurs it was a miracle when babies born that early and that small survived. LOL!
  • Obviously it was a fantastic loving session with Brad Pitt!!! LOL
  • I told most people that I hurt mine trying to make love to 3 differson ladies at the same time LoL.

• in my dreams, shania twain and myself were having a romp in the sack.

but in reality i did it at work i'm a truckdriver and i was making a delivery to a construction site and had to use the liftgate on the trailer,
    the liftgates are poorly maintained and are heavy as all heck,so when i was folding liftgate i got a sharp pain in lower right back, tried working thru it and self-medicating but that didnt work so here i am. motrin dont help 2 herniated disc. so i found out.
  • I hurt my back going glacier walking in Alaska (wow! wish that was true!!!).

In reality, I bent over to close the dishwasher door. How feeble is that?

A nice distraction - thanks for that.

By the way, tonight, while I'm in the land of nod, I'll probably be dipping my toes in the River Jordan - there's nothing wrong in dreaming!!!!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • the guy that taught me to be an electrician ..always say to anyone that asks how did i do my back in ..Dave ..my friend will say ..back in NAM !!i would not even mind ..but we are from the UK and too young for the NAM {well i am }
    real reason major car smash
  • I was doing a parachute jump to spend a holiday on a small carribbean island without an airstrip! :O

Really, they think it was probably falling from high up in a tree when I was 7, and my pars was fractured. That was 10 years ago!!! (Not really 17) /:)
  • I was jet skiing, no wait it was when I was snow boarding, nope that wasn't it..........it was when I was sky diving..............

Hmmmm..........reality is 11 years ago lifting my son out of the bath tub, my back went out and 10 years later a seriously bad fall down a flight of stairs caused my massive herniation!!!

Hope everyone is well :-)

• I was the very first person whose bungee cord broke when bungee jumping.
  • Mixing rum runners and limbo......How low can you go?!!!!

• I would say it was when I was a thoroughly sexxy beast.... and that dancing/grrrrrrinding on the speakerbox in da club...like ishh yer birfday, was coo, and that me and Claire Forlani were dancing away, when out of the blue, a raging bull of a meany came and said imprecations as to her honor, and I, the Fearless Ranchy that I am, defended her honor in a contest of pugilistic skills..(I got in a squab)
    and after beating said mean person, was ambushed out side the club by meany friends.
    When I was down, the ever gracious Claire swabbed my bloody forehead and whispered terms of enduring endearments to me...

Noooooooooooooooo... It had to be from falling out of my 18 wheeler...twice.
    ohh, and getting hit by a drunk, underage, pregnant, speeding girl person who ran a red light at 60 mph and caused the truck I was in to be wrapped round me,

or having a 1250lb leg press
    or lifting 650 in a shrug
    or dead lifting too much weight with the arched back position
    , I like the club version better!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I ruined my neck from all of those head-banging years that I toured with Metallica!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I hurt my neck and back in a major Nascar pile-up to which I won!!!!!
  • I hurt my back belly dancing for Mel Gibson.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    but its so much fun reading here.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The truth works well for me.
    Head first over the handlebars mountainbiking = 3 endplate fractures T3,T4,T5 and a chunk off of C7.
    Right Clavicle in four pieces, not broken it kind of shattered.

The usual response has something to do with a motorcycle. To which I respond, Nope, no engines were involved I did it all by myself :O

You want to know what is the best part?

My oldest son is a white water raft guide at a man made 1/2 mile whitewater course on the same mountain!

Both sons have season passes for skiing there...

So, after all this, we are still giving them MONEY L)
  • My injury came from living my dream. I ran a retirement home for kitties and dogs. Just too much time playing with them all and scooping the poop!!

I only wish this was true.
  • robert redford
    john wayne (younger yrs)
    clint eastwood
    john travolta
    brad pitt

really truely and so worth the pain
    <:P :^o :^o :O
    okay really saved our kitten..i stepped over the stair he was on...laundry basket in hand..and hit above tailbone...2004
    then very physical job made it all surface

girls gotta dream
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well...it could have been when I was 7 and I got knocked off the roof while playing tag..cracked the concrete, lol!
    or when I was 9 and a chain link fence shot me like a rock out of a slingshot into the park about 6 feet away.... broken arm and wrist
    ...it could have been when, as an animal rescuer I slid into a small trench of mud to rescue a dog that someone tried to sacrifice (it was back in the days of Son of Sam and there were a lot of crazy people hanging in the parks at night)... the "lil" trench was filled with mud upto my chest...and getting out with a 100+lb dog with broken legs was a bit much!

My mom thinks it has something to do with a car accident she had when she was prego with me... some guy ran a stop sign and hit her car so hard it flipped over on it's hood and slid down the street...

I think it really had to do with a couple of things... a fractured vertebrae(t11-t12)from a guy that decided it was okay to run down the dog that was walking with me... he got out of his car, beat me to the ground and stomped me... fracturing a rib in the front and a vertebrae in the back... the hospital sent me home...it was years later that anyone did anything about it.

I had 2 seperate falls that broke my tailbone... that wasn't fun

Sadly, I think it all had to do with the joint and disc disease and the vertebrae thing I had as a kid.

I dunno.. I wish I could come up with better story :D
  • Mine happened when I carried my wife over the thresh hold on our wedding night.. It wasn't because she was heavy, it was her WEDDING DRESS! That darn thing must have weighed 500 pounds.

Actually, first time responded to a disturbance and someone dropped a box of books (~35 pounds) from the second floor and it hit me on the neck / right shoulder.

Second time someone "resisted" and we had a "minor" scuffle which resulted in torn knee ligaments and the final straw on my back. And yes, I did win. :)
    View my history for all the gory details.
  • Mine got hurt when I was living my secret life as a super hero--I looked like Wonder Woman-and I save the world from destruction......
    OK. I am sure you don't believe that. Honestly, it was during my career as a professional wrestler, The Granny-tizer!
    No, really it was from reading all of these funny stories!!!
    Actually, it was from bending over a waist high rail to keep a patient on a motorized wheel chair from tipping sideways off a platform scale.
    Just pick one!!!
  • Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I was competing against Nadia Comaneci in the Olympics, when I had a most spectacular and nasty landing after my dismount from the top bar!

Okay, that's not true. I was trying to beat Peggy Fleming for Olympic gold and so screwed up my triple axle, landing really hard! Yeah, she won! Darn it! Okay, so not true...

Crashed a helicopter in 85, spraining, straining and otherwise affecting all levels of my back and neck. I know, not fair, the answer is in the signature line!

Shrug... I tried! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Actually - I picked up a 11 lb box of sausage, and collapsed onto the pallet, working at a meat packing plant - almost 30 years ago now.

What I wish I had done. Climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and slipped on a banana peel left by some one else!

• My second disc Herniation at L5-L4 happened the same way and same sound, followed by complete numbness from my waist down.

My wife, who was lying next to me half awake, turned to me and said, "did you just fart?" By the time she said it, she saw the pained look on my face and realized it wasn't gas.

• I was walking down the big appliance aisle at COSTCO and a 60" LCD HDTV fell on my head, collapsing C4~TI. Got a free TV, and enough cash to build a house in Hawaii with a wall big enough for my new TV....not!

Don't know exactly how it happened, but I was 13.
  • ok wrestling my hubby for the last twinkie in the box.....saving canaries from a bird eating marmaset....following along with a intrepid, British super spy hunting an evil Dr.....doing cartwheels down a 40 foot flight of stairs on a dare.....capturing a crazed grammy who had just robbed the local bank......I could go on but as many, I really don't know. Littlefish