Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical neck decompressors

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone heard of or used something call a "neck decompressor" to help alleviate pain from a herniated disk in the neck?

• Sounds like traction. This can help some people to open up the disk space and in theory the disk will go back into place.

It should be done only with the blessing of your doctor and then I would suggest only with a physical therapist.

• I've actually had a cervical disk fusion about 20 years ago and it did nothing to relieve my pain and discomfort so I'm willing to try almost anything. The rheumatologist did an x-ray and it shows I now have spurs on each side of my veterbrae. I'm not interested in having any more surgeries but just want some relief. I go to a neuro-massage therapist once a week which gives me temporary relief but nothing long-lasting or curing.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    A device that is inflatable that is used the apply slight "traction" to the cervical area. Kinda like a "ring around the doosey" device.

I will see if I can track down the name of the device and post or PM info to ya. It was mentioned to me by an orthopedic surgeon as a conservative treatment 4 - 5 years ago.

Looked like voodo to me at the time ... wish i would have given it a try "in retrospect".

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Keep us posted on your status - and welcome to our forums!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thanks, Metalneck. I did find some online and they are exactly like you described. Just wanted to try one before I purchased it. Not planning on any more neck/back surgeries and certainly not any metal equipment in my neck or back. That must be terribly uncomfortable. I appreciate your response. Take care of yourself. I look forward to chatting again.
  • Folks, save yourself a lot of time and money because a home inversion table will do the same exact thing.