Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stiff Butt

jasrojjasro Posts: 224
I sustained a rather mild cervical trauma with severe results that I'm trying to understand (until I can see Doc).

After ten minutes of walking my inner-most buttock muscles become extremely stiff and painful to the degree that I'm literally unable to pick up/ lift one (or the other) of my feet off the ground. My leg muscles just give out or something. It takes about an hour to recover enough to walk again...but I'm left with the extreme stiffness and pain. Walking creates this flare up that lasts for days.

During the flare, I'm not capable of walking another ten minutes therefore I don't get to the point of being unable to lift my foot off the ground but the pain & stiffness is an agony that Vicodin (2) 5/500 and Fentenayl (25 mg) doesn't touch. I've complained on the phone to my doc that the meds are strong enough (without yet giving description why/how) and they've freaked on the phone. I understand why. I was just put on Fentenayl and I know it's a seriously strong narcotic...which is why I don't understand my level of pain!!

The buttock pain feels like my cheeks were sliced open with a knife and walking is pulling at bloody sutures. It's the only pain that I have that I can actually define that WELL. (Can't define nerve pain no matter how hard I try.)

It's not sciatica - I've had that before. This runs from buttocks down backs of thighs.

Hoping someone can enlighten me.

• I'm sorry you're having a flare up now. I have similar knife like pain and stiffness more before I had some facet joint and other injections like a hip and butt nerve blocks and also before I started taking pain meds.

I don't know what med you took before the Fentanyl but perhaps you need to see your PM Dr. to get your meds adjusted. I also take a muscle relaxant as well as a sleeping pill which I swear helps my muscles relax and have less pain. I take Oxazepam, cousin of Valium and think it helps the stiffness. Hope you're feeling better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The only "pain in the butt" syndrome I can think that might even closely resemble this is piriformis syndrome: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/piriformis-syndrome-another-irritation-sciatic-nerve

You might read over that and see if it matches what you are experiencing and then ask your doctor about it...

Hopefully you'll get into the doctor soon. I use heat when my muscles get all cramped up, but if you're having burning pain that might not feel so good.
  • Charry ~ I haven't recognized this as a flare-up so thank you for the thoughtful possibility. It's gone as far as concerned me that I have some kind of muscular dystrophy because walking is horribly difficult. Sharing your medications with me helped me rattle off in my head what's working for you vs what I'm taking. I'm on Zanaflex too for spasticy so I'm guessing I'm well covered with what can (or can't) be done medically. Thanks for sharing so much...I'm calmer now. I see your name a lot on this forum - you give a lot to it. You just did the same for me. You exhaust yourself...helping people. Amazing (grace).

LaLa - I believe THAT'S IT!!! I can't diagnose myself but wow...I'm going to proceed as though it's piriformus until I see Doc. Thank you so much. Those stretches can't possibly hurt me...I've been doing things so close to them out of natural "need". I have something to bite on for the weekend now...to proactively DO something to help myself!!! Thank you!!!! I owe you one.

I owe you both one.

• I think the stretching can relieve some pain. I still do stretching for my mild sciatica.

When I was given strong pain meds like fentanyl patches, morphine, or dermerol (sp?), the pain did not decrease. The only med that helped was vicodin even though it is less strong. Your pain doctor should be able to help you find the best med suitable for you.

I hope you can see a doctor very soon. When I had a bulging disc at L5S1, I went to see a chiro. And he treated my problem based on my symptoms and ignored my MRI which clearly indicated a bulging disc. He said I had piriformis syndrome. The treatment was very painful; it was like deep tissue massage with stretching. Obviously the treatment didn't address help the bulging disc issue. I also experienced excruciating pain in my buttocks.

Good luck!