Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Couldnt walk one morning....

steve withrowssteve withrow Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi every one ...I had to move last week...Dr. said nothing over 20 lbs....Here is the kicker...I moved from a apartment on the 2nd floor to a house over 4 car garage...So I calculated , in over 2 day 50 flights of stairs...I didnt have any pain at all doing the move , ...But Sunday when I woke up I could barely walk , it wasnt my back , but my calves hurt sooooo bad...It took 2 days before I could walk normal again..I also notice my ankles swelled up at night , and some times my vanes in my ankles are huge.... Also notice a little tingling on the bottom , like some thing is vibrating....My surgery was 3.5 month's ago...TLIF L5/S1 with cage and disk replacement...and graph..Any input would be nice

SW
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there,
    I am not familiar with what to look out for with TLIF but considering it was only 3.5 months ago, I owuld contact your doctor and let him/her know what happened.

I would consider following the instructions you were given post op which probably included log-roll to get out of bed, limit sitting time, walk periodically, ice (if you were told to), and not bending/twisting/liftng.
  • I used to dive at this place that has 94 stairs from where you gear up until you get to the water's edge. It's a calf burner. People don't feel it that day, but the next couple of days your calves are so sore you feel like an invalid. It usually takes diving there over a few consecutive weeks before your calves quit screaming at you the next day.

Think about it, it's like you went to the gym, got on the stair climber and walked up and down 50 flights of stairs. That's a heck of a work out for anyone's calves.

However, when in doubt, give the doc a shout.

"C"

• Have you kept up your normal intake of water during your move. Actually you should of been drinking a good bit more as you were most likely perspiring a bunch. Increase your water intake for the next few days and see if your swelling goes down. Just a suggestion as I'm no doctor.

David
  • Thanks for the input.....The swelling has gone down....Called the Dr. yesterday , said to elevate if swelling continues....I cant get over at times how big my vanes in my feet get when I exercise ...Increasing water intake...When I was on the meds ( 2 months ago ) I was drinking a gallon a day...I cut way back since....But yes...it felt like when you go to the gym and work out really good , the next 2 days hurt.....Feeling better now.....but that was scary...I have been on my butt and back since December 17th till 2 months ago///......

SW
  • Getting old sucks.
    Even insigificant movements can cause me soreness now.
    The other day I was rebuilding a transmission and had to sit on the ground Indian style. The next two days Iwas sore and was hobbling around here.

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Glad to hear you are doing better, but sounds like you overdid. My calves get really sore if I increase my activity too much. I think our nerves in our legs are still easily irritated and it doesn't take much to rev them up!! I think that will all settle with more time out from surgery, at least I hope so! Lynette
    Lynette
advertisement