Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal decompression

mcerhornmmcerhorn Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am just learning about spinal decompression and had my first therapy done today. I don't feel better, but maybe even worse right now. But I was informed that that could be the case after the first couple of sessions. I'm reading different views about this procedure and I'm feeling confussed especially since in my case it is very expensive. He's charging $5995 for 20 sessions. Is this worth it or should I explore other options.

• The reason the sessions are so expensive is that the equipment is expensive. I don't know how effective it is, but chiros buy the equipment because it brings in customers, but then have to charge a lot to recoup the costs.

I don't think there's a lot of scientific evidence to support its effectiveness.
  • That's what is was going to cost me when I looked into it. I'll be interested to see how you feel after all sessions.

Good luck,

• I have done probably around 50 sessions of spinal decompression in the last year with ok luck. In my opinion the results you will get out of this depend on the type of problem you are having. For the price you are paying I would recommend you look at something else such as PT. I know when I first screwed my back up and got on this I felt like there was hope in sight. I felt taller and a lot better the next day because of the decompression. My chiro charges only $30 dollars a session of decompression so when I see that rate that is pretty crazy! Over time this probably might help you but you must ask yourself for the price is this really a feasible option? Also for that price your chiro should set up a strengthening program for you and do manipulations if needed.

I had a mri done this month and compared it to my last mri done in Aug '09 and found no real improvement in disk height. One MRI was taken in the morning the other in the afternoon so these may change the results. See my link below to see what I mean :)

For me if I had to do I all over again I would have seen my chiro and PT at the same time. I think that would have been a good combo.

I would say if you get crazy pain after the decompression sessions I would stop!!!

I think you should try PT. I didn't think PT would do to much when I was first Injured a year ago. I started a month ago and I seems to be slowly working and that's always cool for a chronic pain sufferer :)

>If you live in western Wisconsin or eastern Minnesota you should PM me if you want a better chiro with more reasonable rates if you still want to spinal decompression. Mine must be pretty good when some people drive as far as 3 hours away to see him :)

This whole thing depends on the extent of your injury!

Here is what I used (this one is slightly different from the one I use):

Hope you get better this whole back pain blah is a big ball of stress.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/telco88/spinal retrolisthesis l5-s1 fun/

22 yr old injured on the job with no hope left what so ever!

-Tried two different chiropractors.
    >Result one made me worse he was an idiot. The next one I did a alot of reasearch on and hes one of the best ones in my area.

-Trying PT now after a month I think its starting to help.

-Tried pain management with no luck that screwed me up!
    >Result the cortisone shots made my retro worse. After I got them a few week later I had massive popping when I tilt my pelvis forward or backward. It was also concluded that I was not a candidate for a facet rhizotomy but I still want it done because I have a some of the symptoms a facet problems such as tailbone pain after sitting down for 15mins.

-Got one otho opinion and he never said anything about operating but his assistant told me he basically didn't want to operate. Will be getting a 2nd one soon.

Meds- Oxycodone, Oxaprozin, Carisoprodol

June '10

Disk space signal and disk space height is well preserved. Marrow signal is within normal limits. The conus medullaris is unremarkable terminating at the L1-2 level.

The T12-L1, L1-2, L2-3, and L3-4 levels are unremarkable.

At L4-5 there is mild diffuse disk bulging and mild bilateral degenerative facets. There is no significant central canal or neuroforaminal narrowing.

At L5-S1 there is a broad-based midline to left paramedian disk protrusion. This is slightly more prominent currently when compared to the prior exam now extending approximately 6 mm beyond the expect prosterior disk margin compared to 4mm previously. This indents the anterior aspect of the thecal sac but does not appear to compress nerve roots. There is no significant neuroforaminal narrowing.

Grade 1 Retrolisthesis of 8mm.

June '10
    Neck xrays done with no luck to find out what the pain generator was.

Feb '10
    Neg T-spine MRI

Aug '09
    L3-4: Mild bilateral facet arthroses.

L4-5: Mild desiccation and disc bulge. Mild bilateral facet arthroses.

L5-S1: Mild disc space narrowing and desiccation with a left central disc extrusion which extends dorsally up to 4mm. There is mild retrolisthesis of L5 on S1 of 2mm. There is mild ventral indentation on the dural sac and left S1 nerve root. There is no foraminal narrowing. Mild bilateral facet arthroses.
This discussion has been closed.