Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I slipped and fell!

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It has been raining for days as we are on the "dirty" side of Alex. Yesterday we were packing the car to leave for the 4th. It was raining and I slipped on wet concrete and fell! :(

I landed on my bum and back mostly on my left side!

This morning I woke up hurting, it has been a long time since the pain has been what wakes me...:(

My low back and left bum which is also my graph site.

DH was angry that I fell :( so I am trying to not complain or say anything about hurting.

Praying that I didn't damage my fusion or futher damage the herniated L3-4.

In addition to falling, it took us 5+ hours on a trip that typically takes 3 due to severe weather.

It is beautiful here today.

I can't believe I fell.....the one thing my surgeon cautioned me about....:(

• I'm so sorry you fell. Hope you feel better soon and that its just muscle pain you are suffering from. Why is your husband angry about falling? Men, sometimes they don't get it. You don't need him mad at you when you need his support. Did you do something he advised you not to do? I hope you enjoy your holiday weekend! Take care...

• I was a hurry and I didn't even realize the floor was wet. Just hurrying to get out of the rain. I think he is just frustrated and maybe even upset with himself.

I was doing more than I should as he was frustrated with the whole thing. The weather was horrible and he was having to drive in the storms.

I hope it's just muscle related too! Not how I wanted to start our vacay!

Hope you are having a great weekend!
  • I am so sorry to hear of your fall. You certainly didn't need that! :O

Perhaps ice would help; especially if there is any inflamation from the fall. I hope that your pain will quickly settle down, and that you can concentrate on having a fun and relaxing vacation.

Glad that the weather is good today.

I'll be thinking of you and praying for no permanent damage due to the fall.

Now relax, have fun and BE CAREFUL!!! :D
  • Jelly, jelly, jelly! I AM an accident waiting to happen! Perhaps they could put a bubble around me!

Hope you are having a great weekend without any pain!

I am so worried I hurt my fudion. My surgeon said "just don't fall! " aei, yie, yie!!
  • hey ther
    So sorry to hear of your fall...thats not good
    and then long travel..
    perhaps hubby was upset cause he don't want to see you suffer all over again...
    go slow even after we fuse ..have to do everything different.
    I hope your ok..call doc when you get home ..just to make sure ..perhaps repeat mri to help your mind rest..

be safe and enjoy your vaca
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • As an adult, falling isn't something I normally worry about but after my two surgeries, I was very afraid of falling.

In my classroom, one of kids left a magazine on the floor. I step on it and landed on my side. The kids were shocked so I told them I was ok. Then, I got another teacher to watch my class. After I checked into the nurse's office, I cried mostly out of fear. I was sore, so I went to see OS. Everything was ok.

Go see your doctor if you have lingering pain. by the same token, feeling sore/pain would expected after any fall.

Your husband could have reacted differently, but I think it was probably out of fear for you.
  • Falling on my back bumper is my greatest fear.

The last two lines in your sig are ironic now. @)
    Hopefully evrything is still ok.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008

• Life isn't about waiting for the storm Alex to pass ...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain, without falling over!!!!

We just got back from the theatre, watching our granddaughter in her tutu - very cute!
    3 hour show with an interval.
    I'm a bit stiff, but otherwise feel good. :-)
  • I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you can get in touch with your Surgeon if you're still sore Monday and let him know that you fell since he was worried because he said don't fall. Anyway hope you're icing and taking it easy. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • to hear about your fall!! Please, please be careful.

Hope your pain settles down soon. Sending lots of good vibes that you feel better very soon.

P x
  • Heeheehee

oh my gosh, that is so funny!!! Thanks so much for the chuckel!! I love it!! :0
  • Oh I cannot believe you fell!! You do have lousy luck my friend!!!!

I am worried about you however, please take it easy and ice when you can and maybe some ibuprofen for the swelling.

I agree with the others that you should contact your surgeon and tell him about your fall so that he can give you peace of mind, he might want to see you.

Enjoy your vacation, try to relax and have fun. I am glad that your weather has improved, it has rained here for days and tomorrow will be the same.

Today is my son's 14th birthday, keeping me very busy!!!Stay well and safe!!!!

Don't worry about DH yelling at you, mine did the same when I over did it and he was scared, I wanted a hug but instead he yelled, its their funky way of letting you know they are scared too, your DH is just worried you have injured yourself.

Please let us know how your doing, thinking of you and sending you gentle hugs! xx

• Falling is also my greatest fear. I do hope it's only muscular and you feel much better soon. Try to relax as much as you can and enjoy your vacation.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • What are we going to do with you!! I remember when i fell in the shower at my nieces on the day of my 6 week ck up....scares the #$%* out of you! I'm sure all will be fine and you will be just sore for a few days. Happy 4th!! Lynette
  • be careful, and take care of yourself.

looks like we might have to lock you up in a little padded room. :jawdrop:
  • by padded room, i mean so we can keep you from getting hurt, so you can heal. #:S
  • Very scary.
    As for your hubby being mad that you fell, men tend to get angry about things they wish they could have prevented. He's probably mad you fell but more mad at himself for not being able to stop you from falling.

It sounds like you are doing a little better today.
    I would suggest you call the doctor Tuesday (if not sooner) to let him know what happened. You are a bit out from the surgery but still, would call him just to let him know in case you have other symptoms that creep up later.

Rest up!
  • I slipped over a few weeks back and my hubby yelled at me as well. It was cause he was scared I had done myself more damage. Took a while but it did come right, more bruising than damage. Funny before my injury and then surgery I thought any activity was OK. Now so many activities are out of reach but still I keep looking for ways to make life fulfilling. Hope you are on the mend and don't have any more accidents. Gentle Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • Oh no Shari, you really do need bubble wrap. I hope you are feeling a bit better and I agree that you should contact your surgeon. I can only imagine the pain - I slipped, didn't fall, but "just" jarred my back about a month ago and I am sure that is what has caused all these new muscle spasms.
    Take it easy and listen to your body - if that means you have to go back to basics for a short while then do it! Don't want to incur the wrath of that husband ;)

Look after yourself.
  • Oh my spiney friends you gave me quite a chuckle this morning as I read your posts after wrestling the laptop from my teenage daughter! :)

Turns out this beach house is not wifi and of our 3 laptops, only one can pick up a signal! :( Makes it tough when there are 4 teenagers here!:)

I love the idea of the bubble wrap and padded room! :) maybe I could just bubbble wrap myself to the beach! :)

It is beautiful here! The weather is perfect and we have had lots of laughter with family and friends! :)

Overall I ache, but for the most part, I have been able to keep up with the group which makes me happy. Last night we went on a sunset dolphin cruise. I have never seen so many dolphins! It was so beautiful! My friend lives in Kansas and her kids have never been to the beach before so they loved it!

We have been walking on the beach lots. Yesterday was harder for me, I got a lot of spasms and there are times I just have to stop and rest. There are things I can't do, like play on the sand dunes, or run on the beach and play frisbee with our dog, but it is still fun to watch the others.

I agree Paula, I am still trying to figure out what I can do and what I can't...the surf is not as rough today so I will try to play in the waves.. :)

We are renting a golfcart for the next 24 hours so the kids are drive around the island and explore.

I hope ya'll have finding some relief from pain! :) Thank you so much for the giggles! :) I am blessed to have ya'll as my friends and I don't know what I would do without you! DH is better and it just must be a man thing! :)

Have an awesome day!

• I am just so pleased that you are having a great holiday. :-) It is just what you needed and deserve.
    That dolphin cruise sounds wonderful. It is something that I have always wanted to do.

Enjoy the beautiful beach surroundings and great company - and take it all in - save it to memory, so you can enjoy it all again once you are home again. :-)
    Take lots of photos too, then you can relive it when you are home.

Don't forget to lie down and rest when you need to.
    I'm thinking of you my friend and am so glad you you are enjoying yourself.

Keep having fun! :D
  • Shari,

So sorry to hear about your fall. Continue to improve please, my prayers are with you. Are you going to get an L-Spine to look it over. Not a bad idea. If any consultation, my PA, doc in IRAQ, said he had a guy fall backwards trying to step into his pickup. No damage. Says it is very hard to damage the rods and screws, I forgot to see if you have them, and i am now typing reply. Think you did as I think we were similar on operations. You may just have some inflamation that will improve in a few days. I am going to post a 3 month update to one of my threads after this. Have been gone for awhile, living. lol

Take Care,