Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tough Choice - Stop working or keep taking meds?

Reformed1RReformed1 Posts: 257
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Management
I had posted a month or so ago that I thought Neurontin was helping me function. So guess what, I'm back to work fulltime meaning 10, 12, sometimes 14 hours a day of sitting at a desk or in meetings. Now, my pain is worse than ever and I still feel Nauseas from the Neurontin. I feel like I'm back at square one and I'm faced with the choice of increasing my medication in order to be able to continue to work these ridiculous hours, or go back out on partial disability (working like 6 hours per day) and take a pay cut for the time not worked. I feel like I have been putting my job ahead of my health, and now I need to cut back my hours, increase my PT and other therapy, in the hopes of reducing my pain and getting off of all of this pain medication.

How have others dealt with this issue? Is it right to be expected to take all of this medication in order to be able to make it through the work day? Or, do I have a right to limit my activity in an effort to eliminate the pain?

I'm very conflicted about this whole situation because I want to work and I don't know if they will allow me to keep my position if I only work 6 hours per day.

• I feel your pain, I am in the same boat. I haven't figured it out myself.....
  • its not worth it ..your health come before any job .remember you are just a number on a payroll and a job can't feel your pain ..reduce your hours and sort your medication out with your doctor..
  • You have a right to limit your work day and have your pain at a reasonable level.

These meds are not without long term side effects, your life needs balance. It can't be all about working.
  • I choose to go out. Three weeks ago I was upping my neurontin again and the pain was still there. I decided it was time to go out on disability before they fired me for staring at the wall!

Found out last week that they decided to eliminate my position. So Straker is correct. We are just a number on a time card. This extra time is allowing me to properly manage my pain as well as get to doctors.

Good luck making the decision. It is a personal one.
  • Wow! I appreciate the clarity and conviction of everyone's suggestions. There was no waffling on the issue as I am presently doing. I guess I kept on thinking that things were going to improve (as my NS has been saying for 5 months now), so I didn't want to risk losing my job. I suppose I should be able to hold my head high in any conversation with any doctor or even my employer in that I've done what I needed to do in order to work. I've agonized for the past two months of working "fulltime" and it was only made possible by Neurontin and Hydrocone. If I didn't have pain meds, I never would have been able to work. Now that I've done so, I've clearly gone down hill, so it's pretty obvious that some balance is needed. Thanks for helping me to see the light.
    - Dave
  • I too have chosen to keep on working in lieu of my health. Ive gone cold turkey with nothing but my SCS since july 2009. I pay for it in the long run but i still have two kids to support at home. Being 54 and having a 9 & 8 yo at home is hard. But I made my bed back then and will keep fighting until my job with them are done. I can go out on federall disability and time now gets harder every day but i have to make it. I work for my wife and kids. l can go out on disability but will lose $800 a month over all.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    When you are at home recovering, many things are available to help you.

Once you go back to the 'office', things can change so much.

There is a fine balance between what you can do at work and how much any medications impact that. I think as people have taken the various medications (narcotic, nerve, muscle relaxers), they will find it easier to deal with the day to day environment.

But that does bring up some questions. How do you get yourself back/forth to work? Can you do it only on pain medications? If so, what does that mean to your ability to drive your car?

Over the years, I have done a bit of everything.

1 - I've driven to work on pain medications and then taken more to get me through the day.

2 - I've stayed out of work during so many flare ups.

3 - And what helped me the most, was working from home. Now that can apply to most technical related jobs, but does nothing for service related occupations.

I think would of the most important things you should do is to discuss your situation with your companies managers/executives. Hopefully, you will reach a compromise that can benefit both of you.

Good luck

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks, Ron.

First of all, I hope that people understood my original post to mean that under partial disability I would work up to 6 hours per day (not per week as I had originally mistyped).

If I don't do this under the protection of Short-term/Long-term disability, they could easily terminate me for not meeting their expectations. Under the terms of disability, they can still lay me off and hire someone else to take over these ridiculous working hours. I'm starting to think that would be the better of the two options for me.

I am seeing a PM doctor on 7/15 and I'm praying that they find something completely unrelated to my fusion. One NS suggested that it could be my S-I joint that is causing most of my pain and that will be a relatively easy thing to diagnose via a Novocaine injection. If that's the culprit, I will suddenly be much more optimistic.

• Well, while I'm waiting to see a PM doc for the first time next week, I've started acupuncture. I'm not terribly optimistic, but the acupuncturist said it might take 4-6 sessions to start feeling better, and my reaction was "REALLY????". I have to pay $70 out of pocket for every visit, but to have a shot at resolving my pain without meds or more surgery, it's a mere pittance to pay $300-500! I would be a fool not to at least try it. First session was a non-event and I have one each week now. I'll post the results either way.

I also had the hard talk with my manager about the possibility of going back on partial disability if the PM doc sugests it and if acupuncture doesn't work. I think he got the message that I need to limit my work day in order to have any hope of feeling better because sitting for 12-14 hours is setting me way back. I was pleased with his support in helping me do whatever I need to do to get better -- if I need to go back on partial disability and work 6 hours a day, so be it. If I am able to work 8 hours partly at home and at the office, he is more than willing to work with me. (I think they all say that in the beginning, right?) I do think the fact that I was honest with him about the possible scenarios has helped my credibility and thus his willingness to support me. We shall see.

• I just noticed my original post that said "keeping taking meds" in the title... This is indicative of the kind of silly mistakes I'm making at work! I have to proof-read things 2 or 3 times and I still find mistakes later on. Ugh!
  • Chronic pain is perhaps not conducive to the working environment and although we will have days when attending is not possible, we go to work in constant pain that for many they would find unacceptable. On that basis we need some support and encouragement. I have been at home unable to stand for many years and now back in employment the psychological benefit of feeling part of society is something that I will not let go.

Although your health is important, 12 hour days and chronic pain is unsustainable in the long term and we have to be honest with ourselves when the better part of valour would be to restrict our hours before imposed physical restriction mandates that change. The financial aspect does impact on our lifestyle and those around us and it is not easy.

Taking medication and working is a new experience and we all develop individual strategies in how to perform in a similar manner, we are not infallible and who else could do the things that we try to do, it is about compromise and finding a manageable situation, your employer is supporting you and showing empathy in your desire to keep going in difficult and challenging circumstance.

Pacing is one element that you do have some control and that in itself may extend your longevity in the working environment, our performance does suffer and we should be provided “reasonable adjustments” that enable us to decide as individuals the importance and reality of trying to sustain employment.

Good luck and take care.

• I agree with the psychological benefit of feeling engaged and vital in the workplace. You are right that I can do things to limit my working hours and I probably should have addressed this before it got out of hand.

My manager is pleading with me, supposedly for my own sake, to not go back out on partial disability. I'm not sure I understand why he is doing that. I think he is actually crossing the line in trying to discourage it. On the flip side, if he is truly trying to help me, I would be very foolish not to cooperate with him when he offers to offload some of my work. However, now I have a new form of guilt -- dumping my work on my colleagues who are already working too hard. That part is very hard for me to do because it doesn't seem fair to them.

Maybe he is simply doing what you are suggesting -- striking a balance that will be sustainable.

Thanks again,
  • Dave,
    We should not feel guilty for having pain that has been impacted on us, it is not of your making and you are and have been doing the best you can, you are working in difficult and challenging physical circumstance that you have kept to yourself and perhaps exceeded the point where it may have been prudent to limit your hours, you are working twice as hard for a reduced output and presenting that positive and achievable outlook. Managing pain is about constant change and finding what works for us as individuals; it will take time and patience.

Have you asked your manager why he has that proposal, I know changes sometime move at a fast pace.

I worked for a large company where the HR department become involved in my reducing hours and reasonable adjustments to assist me in sustaining employment, what benefit or protection would partial disability give you and would it give some authenticity and take that pressure off the need to work long hours while partial disabled eligibility or defining your status and might it help financially now or in the longer term, you may need some independent advice on this.

Keeping working while the constant changes are imminent is never easy, as the future is developing and indecisive, the decision we want to know never seem to coincide with the time when we need them most and that disparity is frustrating and disjointed.

We all hope your improvement goes as expected and a plan B is always helpful.

Take care and good luck.

• Reformed1 said:

My manager is pleading with me, supposedly for my own sake, to not go back out on partial disability. I'm not sure I understand why he is doing that. I think he is actually crossing the line in trying to discourage it. On the flip side, if he is truly trying to help me, I would be very foolish not to cooperate with him when he offers to offload some of my work. However, now I have a new form of guilt -- dumping my work on my colleagues who are already working too hard. That part is very hard for me to do because it doesn't seem fair to them.

Maybe he is simply doing what you are suggesting -- striking a balance that will be sustainable.

Thanks again,
    I have gone through this whole mess and on the other side it can still be a bit discouraging.
    If your manager is offering to help, give it a try.
    My boss has arthritis that started when he was about 47, he understands my predicament fully and lets me do as I am able. My job description is supposed to get rewritten, but that hasn't happened.
    My medical management papers seem to have disappeared into the mass of Human Resources never to appear again! Since last November! They simply stopped calling, talking, emailing!!!
    My boss lets me do what I can and he does not care what Human resources does or does not do.

I get paid twice a month, same as before. The guilt slowly resolves, slowly.

The kick in the butt is the fact that on work days the most I manage to get done at home is a few menial tasks as work uses up my get up and go. I have to wait for weekends to tackle anything resembling a real task.

The meds I take wreck my short term memory, but the majority of my job I have been doing for a while and the stuff I forget I try to write down.
    Sometimes I just wait till I remember. Kind of frustrating there too. Knowing you want to do something and not being able to get a handle on what it is. Worst is doing physical tasks, it hurts and my memory has me constantly losing the tool I need to work with ~X(
  • i stayed working full time for 18 months, all i can say is that i was so committed to the job and my boss that i could and would not let the job down.
    i was a fool, boss never made any allowances for me other than i could lie down for 5 mins every 2 hrs and do my stretches.
    when pain meds or pain made me lose concentration and i made mistakes i got told off in front of the rest of the staff, everyone else was given a quiet word !!!
    i came to realise i was just a number when he told me i was not able to cut my hrs and that he was running a business.
    i thought he was a friend ha ha,we had worked together for 8 yrs, when he left his first job as manager he took me with him to the new job.
    my pain has gotten worse with time and even though i am no longer working my meds have increased, i really believe staying at work added to the pain and my own stupidity at believing i was a person and not a number was wrong.
    it has been a wake up call, i was a number !!!
    no one from work ever calls to ask how i am etc etc etc, all they are worried about is if i will sue them, never gave me a chair the right height for me, never lessened my work load, i never took time off unless i physically could not walk,
    the hospital has told me i can go back to work for 2 hrs a WEEK as long as i have regular breaks, guess what, boss said what a joke, i would spend more time on the floor than doing any work.
    this is only my story, but i would never give my all to a job again, my health is much more important.
    i hope you work out what is right for YOU, we are very easily replaced at work, your health could suffer more than your wallet
  • Well, my NS sort of forced my hand. He made it clear that he wanted to reduce my narcotic medication to roughly half of what I am presently taking. I was incredulous upon hearing this because my pain is worse than ever. So, I am officially back on partial disability -- working no more than 6 hours per day.

My current treatment includes:
    1. Reduced work hours/ reduction of sitting for prolonged periods
    2. Ongoing PT (helps core strength, sometimes pain disappears for awhile and I just lay on the floor and enjoy the temporary feeling of NO PAIN! It's sweet!)
    3. Walking (I got away from this, but have resumed it)
    4. Swimming (very carefully!)
    5. Icing my rear when the pain flares up
    6. Acupuncture (3 visits now with no noticeable benefit, but will continue for at least 6 visits)
    7. SI joint injections (trying to determine if this is a pain trigger)
    8. Epidural Lysis (to break up scar tissue around the L5 nerve root)
    9. Neuropathic meds (Just started Lyrica after giving up on Neurotin which wasn't helping)
    10. Muscle relaxer (Robaxin) to keep back flexible
    11. Anxiety meds (Xanax) as needed when pain seems out of control
    12. NSAID (Motrin to help with inflammation) which I just started since I am now 6 months post-op from my fusion. PM doc recommended Limbrel but this is not covered by my insurance.
    13. I read a lot of posts on this forum to learn from others.

What have I left out? Oh, narcotics -- the one thing that clearly relieves my pain symptoms and the one thing that my NS doesn't want me to use. Based upon the list above, can anyone reasonably suggest that I am not doing everything within my power to resolve my pain? Regardless, I am cutting back on narcotics as directed. I have to admit that this is causing me a lot of anxiety because my pain level seems to be increasing, at least in the short term.

Sorry, I'm having a bad morning!

• I officially went back on partial disability on 7/21, working no more than 6 hours per day. My pain seems a little better now that I've cut back my hours (by half!) and am working at home. There are so many variables in play here, it's hard to know what is the one or two or several things that are helping. Until I can get off of narcotics completely, I'm sticking to the following treatment regimen.

My current treatment includes:
    1. Reduced work hours (6 hours per day, max)/ reduction of sitting for prolonged periods (no more than an hour at a time)
    2. Ongoing PT (helps core strength, sometimes pain disappears for awhile)
    3. Walking (I got away from this, but have resumed it. Sometimes it feels good, and sometimes it doesn't. I stop as soon as I start feeling any hint of pain.)
    4. Swimming (very carefully! Breast stroke and dog paddle feel the best. Don't laugh!)
    5. Icing my rear when the pain flares up
    6. Acupuncture (5 visits now with no noticeable benefit, but will continue for at least 6-7 visits)
    7. SI joint injections (trying to determine if this is a pain trigger); Second injection is coming up in a few days.
    8. Epidural Lysis (to break up scar tissue around the L5 nerve root); second procedure in a few days
    9. Neuropathic meds -- Weaning off of Lyrica after two weeks due to severe Edema; also gave up on Neurotin which wasn't helping much and it made me terribly nauseas and foggy. I think Cymbalta is next.
    10. Muscle relaxer (Robaxin) to keep back flexible
    11. Anxiety meds (Xanax) as needed when pain seems out of control. Was recently prescribed Klonopin (Clonazepam) at bedtime for sleep -- have had two nights in a row of wonderful sleep!! I was previously getting 3-5 hours a night which is not enough for me.
    12. NSAID (Motrin to help with inflammation) I have resumed Motrin now that I am 6 months post-op from my fusion. PM doc recommended Limbrel but this is not covered by my insurance. I usually respond very well to Motrin, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.
    13. I read a lot of posts on this forum to learn from others.
    14. I have pushed myself to reduce narcotics despite withdrawal and despite feeling more "raw pain". Why? Because my NS ignored my pain level and said he wanted me to reduce it. Go figure.

I can't wait for the next round of SI and Caudal epidural injections (seriously!). I'm also meeting with a REAL PM doctor on Tuesday after a long and difficult search. I have to say that I will be heart-broken if I hear once again that he "only does injections"...

What am I missing? I can't think of any other treatment options except maybe massage therapy?

• Wow Dave. You have really been through it. You are doing so much to help your pain and it's ashame that the doctor wants to wean you off of narcotics when they are really helping you and when you have clearly shown him that you want this pain gone and will do anything to help it.

As for your appt. on Tuesday, how did you find this new doctor? Were you referred to him? Can you research him on the web to see if he only does injections? Sometimes, people say to call and ask, but I don't think that's a great idea.

I hope that you find a doctor that helps you get your pain under control.

• Thanks for your response and for your thoughtful comments. I found this particular PM doctor through my insurance. He has a decent website and I read it thoroughly. It mentions "comprehensive pain management". I called the office and at first someone there told me that the doctor focuses on injections, but later on the nurse at the office called me back and said that he will manage the whole picture. I am just going to be cautiously optimistic that this will be more than injections. I just found it odd that they initially told me differently.

Thanks again for your support!
  • Wow Dave it sounds like you are very organized and are doing everything you can to get better. I am glad to hear you were able to reduce your hours it sounds like the longer hours were too much. I hope the appointment with the PM doc goes well. I didn't realize until recently that not all PM docs are alike. I can't imagine if mine didn't perscribe meds, I have done injections and for me they are not worth it. Unfortunately the only way to have a semi normal life is to take meds. I hate it but guess that is the way it goes. Good luck at your appt let us know how it goes!!
  • I went to the so-called "comprehensive" pain management place this morning. The facility was nice, the triage nurse was nice, the nurse practioner was excellent... then I met the doctor! Ugh! The most arrogant doctor I have ever encountered. Within the first five minutes he managed to disparage my NS, my current PM doctor who is doing injections (obviously a competitor), and the hospital that they are affiliated with. He made me feel about 2" tall and then he informed me that he would not prescribe any narcotics. He could have saved both of us some time if his office staff conveyed that up front. One of them actually tried to tell me that over the phone, but the nurse insisted that he would take care of "everything".

I'm 6'4", 230 pounds, and I'm about ready to cry. I cannot believe that I can't find a pain management doctor that can help manage my whole care plan. Meanwhile, my NS can't remember my name, let alone my symptoms or treatment plan. Regardless, there is no way that I will ever go see this schm@ck again. I feel like filing a formal complaint. He was so obnoxious, condescending, and outright unethical.

This is ridiculous.
  • I recently obtained a referral to a comprehensive pain management practice and this time I know that they will manage all aspects of my treatment plan, including narcotics. The only downside is that I had to obtain this referral from a different NS than the one who did my surgery. He doesn't like this group for some reason, but I read several patient reviews and they unanimously gave this practice a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. I do have wonder if my NS will be upset that I went this direction, but he is going to have to eventually face the fact that my fusion, as technically correct as it was, did not resolve my pain issue.

So, this Friday, I hope to begin a new chapter with a single doctor who is on my side and who will coordinate my entire treatment plan. Is that wishful thinking? I hope not. I don't care if they push me a little because I have already been pushing myself.

Take Care,
  • I hope this works out for you. I have recently gone through a somewhat similar experience. I moved last summer and I needed to get established in my new area with a new PM doc. The first place I was referred to looked like an old apartment complex converted to a few clinics. Walking into the front office was like walking into a showroom floor for medical implants. The front desk staff were pleasant and professional as was the triage nurse. When the doc came in, I was a bit taken aback by his desire to instantly want to do a series of different invasive procedures as well as a second SCS. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough!

So I sought out a second opinion and the experience was almost polar opposite from the first place. It was in a hospital setting, with multi-discipline involvement and no sales floor or show room displays pedaling wares. The doc was very professional and keen towards the fewer procedures the better and he accomplished in 1 week what no one else was willing to do. Needless to say I will be sticking with this PM doc.

If I hadn't sought out the second opinion, I would have been allowing myself to be carried along a path that I believe would ultimately make my condition worse. Now on the other hand I have the help of a very skilled and highly respected team of doctors.

I hope that your experience with your new doc is a good one and one that is "right" for you!

• I appreciate hearing about your experience. I find it reassuring because I'm starting to learn the art of seeing through the eyes of the particular provider. Neuro-surgeons seem to focus on what they do best, Anesthesiologists focus on what they do best, etc., etc., and their opinions do vary. One thing that I won't tolerate is a provider who thinks they are so above all of their peers that they actually make disparaging remarks about my current treatment plan when they haven't really learned about my history. A double red flag is when they hint about their favorite procedure, again without really knowing me or my history. Your story really validates my experience and my current approach of being my own best advocate.

I'm meeting with the PA of the pain management group today and then I meet with the doctor in a couple of weeks, and I am praying that they are good listeners, compassionate human beings, and respectable physicians. Is that too much to ask?

At this point, I have reduced my narcotic usage by 33% compared to a month ago and I'm now where my NS wants me to be. However, I would really like to have one doctor who I can count on to be my coach and my advocate with other doctors going forward. So far, I've been doing this entirely by myself.

I'm hoping that the 3-week gap between this initial data gathering visit with the PA and the later doctor consultation means that the doctor and PA are going to carefully review my 3-year history of treatment in order to develop a meaningful plan. I would contrast this with my last PM doc visit where I spent 30 minutes with a wonderful Nurse Practioner who seemed to understand my history and then they did a 30-second transition in the hallway and then the doctor came in and tried to speak as an authority. It didn't work, especially when he disparaged everyone who has treated me to date.

I hope to report out later today and again in a few weeks that "I've found my PM doctor"...

• I hope things do work out well for you.

I was utterly amazed at the difference in the two docs that I saw. Both have similar qualifications and both practices are supposed to have the same approach to Pain Management. My experience showed me that although they may look similar on paper, they can easily be completely different.

I've had so many invasive procedures and a lot of my issues are an unfortunate result of some of that. So for a doc to ignore my concerns (which I and my husband clearly expressed) and start rattling off procedure after procedure that he wanted to do ... I was quite amazed. Instead of asking me how I felt my pain was currently managed and what if anything I was concerned about, he just started rattling off what he wanted to do. Kind of reminded me of a car salesman who kept throwing in "extras" that would make the car the envy of all who gaze upon it.

I respect the docs who look at how a person is managing on a day to day basis and offer assistance without a complete rebuild. This guy wants to work with me and my PCP, not independently as the one and only who matters. My PCP and PM doc are now working together to give me the best assistance they can.

I wanted to relate one more experience that goes in line with your original concern in this thread.

In 2008, I had an excellent but very stressful job. That Spring was when I flew back to the US for my SCS trial and subsequent implant. I noticed that while away from work, the reduced stress made a huge difference in how I felt. So I made myself a promise that if I couldn't adequately handle the stress of my job when I returned in 3 weeks, that I would quit. So I went back to work with my SCS doing wonders for me. By the end of two weeks, the stress was making it hard for my SCS to keep things under control. So I kept to my promise and quit a wonderful job. My health is more important than any job. If I could have handled the stress and continued to adequately manage my pain, I would have stayed.

It's a given that I will always be on meds of some sort. My goal is to reduce those to the minimum necessary to maintain a good quality of life. I plan to go back to work because I really enjoy working, but only part time and not in a high stress environment. I am fortunate that I don't have to work in order to have medical and pay the bills. So I have more freedom in making a choice like I have. I don't know all the particulars in your case and whether or not you have the option to not work and still get by. I just know that for me, my health and welfare come before any job. Once I realized that, it was an easy step to make.

• I'm rapidly approaching the end of Short-term disability insurance, which is on 10/22. I've been very fortunate that my company has helped with my partial disability payments since my surgery. Once it runs out, I stand to lose a lot financially. I will basically be treated like an ex-employee even though I'm still working up to 6 hours per day.

Since my symptoms still exist, I'm back to my orginal dilemma: Do I ask my new PM doc to provide me with just enough medication to help me effectively work fulltime, or do I continue to reduce my activity level in order to continue to reduce my usage of medications (including narcotics)?

I've asked around and it seems like most people are telling me, "yes, get enough meds to get back to work fulltime". Interestingly, those same people seem to agree that no doctor will be willing to prescribe more meds to enable it. So, I can't win!!

I suppose I could just stop working altogether and collect disability insurance until I'm 65 (I'm 48 right now). It could be an early retirement? I'm sorry, but that is just not my nature. I enjoy working and I think I would go nuts (and would drive my wife nuts) if I stayed home on disability for the next 17 years!
  • I am 49 now. I am now working my long days. I have 2 of them per week. There are weeks that I get here, and cannot make it without handing the phones to someone and just telling them that I will be in my office for 30 minutes. And I collapse! And I am the boss.

I usually MUST take 1 or 2 days off completely - and that means that I might spend time with my sweetie or I am working away, on a lappy, and sometimes, my arms cannot take the effort.

On an ongoing basis, I look very much ADD, because I have a multitude of work at the same time, but all of it has differing levels of activity and due to this, I know that I will keep moving up and down the scale, until I am comfortable.

And I only answer to one boss - she knows that I must stop -everything - at times. When I dont' show at 7am, she knows that its not a nice day for me and when I get there in the afternoon, that I am just trying to get the basics done and then I am gone.

But I try to keep going, I try to look like I have it all together and I try to move, like those cars with Constant-Velocity-Transmissions , I try to make sure that during every day, I give it my best attempt and have some successes, because I do set the bar ridiculously low for a few things. Makes it easy to have a success when I need the moral boost.
  • That's good you were able to reduce your pain meds by 33%. That's great news. I passed short term disability and am on LTD now but they keep me employed until I would start collecting pension so have the option to return to work when better. Not sure if that's the same at your work if you need more time to recover? Best wishes and hope you're able to get back to work if you're ready to do the long work hours again. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This was such a thoughtful and insightful post that I was left feeling very relieved. I didn't mean to seem like I ignored it. I didn't have anything to add, but I should have at least told you how much I appreciated it. So, please accept a belated "Thank You"!
  • If I do go back to active status, I'm going to see if I can get a doctor's order to limit my workday to 8 hours and allow me to work from home whenever possible. I don't know if the doctor will even do that, but I won't put myself back in the same situation that I was in a couple of months ago. I barely saw my family in the months of June and July, and all of the sitting set me way back.

I'm sure that limiting my work day will minimize the need for medication, but it will also limit my performance. I can accept that as long as I don't get fired over it. Thus, it needs to be a medical accommodation. I believe that I would be protected from a legal perspective, wouldn't I?

This is uncharted territory for me. My pain isn't bad enough to stop working altogether, but it is bad enough that I need to be careful about what I do, and sitting at a desk for too long will most definitely cause my pain to flare up.

Have a great day!